Stereo upgrade

GLJones

Most of these head-unit in-car systems have a hidden config menu. My Mini Cooper has one that allows you to even change the colors for features in the Nav Display.

I assume the MBUX has one as well. What we need to find it the method to get into this menu so we can enable/disable such features as the Fader. Anyone found the path yet?

GLJones

OK...I found a hidden "Dealer" menu but nothing I see for adding the 'fader' function.

Go to the SETTINGS menu. Using the steering wheel MBUX touchpad, scroll to the top menu and to the leftmost item. Then scroll left 5 times, the Dealer menu will appear.

Eric B

How on earth did you find THAT ?

Sounds like an old Nintendo cheat code... hahahaha ...

Awesome!

RoverAG

I went thru about 5 sets of speakers from $300 to $100 and none sounded good.

I then stumbled on these and WOW, phenominal sound.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/jbl-gx...lene-cones-pair-black/6283670.p?skuId=6283670

Bought and used the adapter rings that are sold on ebay.

Also went with an alpine amp.

I insulated the doors with dynamat and 3M sound deadening mat.

Using Spotify with high quality recordings the sound is down right jaw dropping. I don't even need a subwoofer, you feel the bass in your chest. Crystal clear highs that don't in the least fatigue.
How difficult was it to install the tiny tweeters in the corner of the dash? Can the screen be popped off?

RoverAG

I'm in the middle of upgrading my 2019 speakers. First thing I did was disconnect middle speaker which made a world of difference. The door speakers are attached to the panel versus the door... I used the old speaker ring as a bracket.... idea credit to HustleLife on YouTube works really well... just don't know the polarity of the wire. I went with JL audio for speakers. JL1 for the doors and JL2 for the the rears. THe tweeter installation was ...interesting.... good luck with second screw.... If anyone can pass along a diagram for VS30 would be appreciated, hope this helps
Regarding the tweeter install. Does that require any dash removal or can they be installed by simply removing the little screen on the dash? Although, although the little tweeter screens are present on my 2019 cargo, I'm not sure there is a speaker beneath it.

Eric B

plastic trim tool is your friend
yes those grilles will pop off
getting the stock tweeter out is a bit hard because of the limited access, but it is possible

reaching up under the dash and using a fish wire you can get the wiring to get where you need it to
squeeze on the plastic connectors at either end of the rubber gasket in the door jamb for the pillar to door connection

there's threads on here talking about how to remove door panels as well

Last edited:

FullyTorqued

I posted this in another thread, but it applies here as well. I promise I don't receive any kickbacks for recommending this head unit. I'm just really satisfied with mine and wanted to share it with you guys. The touch screen is super nice and fills the entire dash cutout for a really clean factory-like appearance. It has the mic built in on the front that seems to work really well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WZLW212/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

If you want to keep your stock USB port order "PAC USBMB1 USB Retention Cable for Select 2014-16 Mercedes & European Vehicles" and if you want to keep your backup camera order "RCA Male to Fakra Z Neutral Male Extention" I got mine on eBay

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Just got my 144 Cargo 4*4. Love the 10 inch screen but over all sound is not amazing.

Anyone upgrade their speakers etc?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Congrats on your new van. If you have the 10” mbux system Quickest and easiest thing you can dois disconect the center speaker in dash. Just the speaker wire which on mine was the one closest to windshield. Instant improvement. The other wire is for the mb sos system which apparently runs through that cheezy speaker. Plenty of threads re stereo upgrade here though.
Enjoy your new Sprinter. ✌?

sanomechanic

Were you able to figure out how to add speakers to the head unit then? ie: which wires to use or where to tap into?
No one seems to have posted that info. My local dealer MB Laguna Niguel refuse to provide that information.
I split the signal from speaker wires into a FIX 86 then have 4 channels to sent to amp. No fader control. Just adjusted amp gains to balance the volun from front to back

erik.wahlstrom

This is timely. I'm literally about to install my FIX-86 and I was wondering about splitting the wires. I was hoping this wouldn't be needed. Ironically I already have the splitters installed and was about to cut them off (they originally went right into the amp). Are you sure this is needed? Can't the fix figure out there is no signal there and automatically create the line level signal for the rears?

sanomechanic

This is timely. I'm literally about to install my FIX-86 and I was wondering about splitting the wires. I was hoping this wouldn't be needed. Ironically I already have the splitters installed and was about to cut them off (they originally went right into the amp). Are you sure this is needed? Can't the fix figure out there is no signal there and automatically create the line level signal for the rears?
You have to have a signal going in to channels 1&2 5&6 of FIX 86 to make it do the voodoo that it do.. So your stock speaker wires need to split left 1&5 right 2&6...The the pair of RCAs out and 1 set of sub out of FIX 86 will have left and right balance off of head unit but no front to rear fader. Just adjust output gain screws in you amp. You will need a 5 channel amp if running a sub.

This is what I have

Last edited:

erik.wahlstrom

Hmm, that's contradicted by this:
The FiX 86 gets its input signals from your vehicle's speaker wiring — no outboard level-matching devices are necessary. The FiX 86 automatically re-synchronizes any signals that have been time-delayed, returning precision to the sound. It takes your factory radio's 2-way, 3-way, or 4-way outputs, matches their levels, and combines them into six full-range stereo signals. Then 1/3-octave equalizers automatically flatten the frequency response, leaving the system ready for your custom processing and amplification.
that would indicate 2-way inputs should work just fine?

The documentation also says:
Note: With most factory audio systems, it is not necessary to connect all eight input channels of the FiX™ 86. We recommend using the least amount of inputs needed to create a full-range audio signal, while retaining your fader’s functionality.

Last edited:

sanomechanic

You will see a huge difference in sound quality. I'm VERY STOKED with the Fix 86. worth every penny

sanomechanic

Hmm, that's contradicted by this:

that would indicate 2-way inputs should work just fine?
Thats because the FIX 86 was designed for vehicles with 4 channels "FR to RR Fader in head unit" By using the splitter technique you are tricking it.

I was told to do this by JL Audio Tech Support

For 2 way inputs you should buy a FIX 82. I wanted 4 outputs so when I get the ft to rear fader activated and wiring mystery solved. The I will have the right FIX product.

The FIX 86 will not process with signals to only channels 1 & 2

Last edited:

sanomechanic

Well that didn't work, at all. Unit won't power in regardless of the turn on mode. :-( Going back.
Switch the pin switch to middle. Are the yellow lights coming on? When tuned they turn green. You will have to download the tuning file to your phone since MB does not have a CD player. Call JL Audio. Leave message. They will call back and help. They have great customer service. Be Patient. THE FIX 86 works great

Top Bottom