4 x 4 Transmission leak

Boot103

UK 2004 416CDI T1N 4x4 ZG3
Hey,

It appears my nearside front driveshaft seal may be leaking on my Sprinter 2004 4x4

Any idea where to get the seal from? Is this a common problem?

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Looks like the axle stub shaft seal is toast. I would guess its a standard seal, so you can get the dimensions from the seal itself, and order a replacement. Don't let the oil run low.

I am not familiar with the assembly of the MB/oberaigner front diff. Its possible that the axle stub shaft is held in with a spring clip. So it can be removed with a slide hammer. If so you can replace the seal with the diff installed.

Boot103

Is there any way I can find the gearbox code etc and get the seal dimensions without having to dismantle it.

Dont really want to have to take it off the road for days / wait for delivery.

I remember on my VW stuff there was a program called etka and it had all the components. Is there something like that for mercedes ?

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
You can check the parts catalogs (subscription required unfortunately). Last I checked, they didn't break down the trans. A dealer may be able to help, may be worth a call. There are a few users here with STAR laptop units which contain the EPC data, one may post up offering to help.

https://epc.startekinfo.com/epc/

Last edited:

Eric Experience

Boot,
That does not look like gear oil to me. Give it a wash to find the leak. Could be the turbo. There is no listing of parts for the diff, I have rebuilt a couple, the seals were standard bearing shop no delays.
Eric.

Boot103

Yeah its 100% gear oil. I know the smell v well.

I washed it down with brake cleaner and its coming from the driveshaft seal for sure. Where it goes into the transmission.

Boot103

I went to top up the diff today and it hardly took any oil if any at all. I was level.

Im not being dumb right. There are two 14mm sockets on the offside (right hand side) of the diff. Im UK.

I used the top one to top it up.

The thing is pretty annoying to fill. The gear is right over the filler hole...

Eric Experience

Boot.
You are on the correct plug, What is the history, how long wave you owned this vehicle, is the vent pipe clear? Eric.

Boot103

Had it about a month. The leak didn't really present itself until I did a big journey to the peak district last week.

It's 2004 has 60k miles on it. Ex ambulance.

I couldn't locate the vent pipe on the front diff. Ill have another look.

Last edited:

Eric Experience

Boot
The reason I asked is that if the diff had water in it then that would explain the oil exit when hot, if the vent was open then the oil should have exit the vent. Eric.

Top Bottom