4cyl gas owners - how simple is the oil change?

tech49

2019 2500 144 4cyl GAS
Im considering trading my diesel 2014 in for a gas engine model. Ive always been impressed at how easy (albeit expensive) it was to change the oil in my 2.1 4cyl diesel. I would hate to make that trade and realize the filter on the gas is hard to get at, or the recommended oil is just as expensive as the low sulfur mobil1 stuff I use...

What do you think of the oil filter location? Is it cartridge style or metal? Is the drain plug easy to get at from the front?

Any info on the gas engine mpg too would be helpful, thanks fellas!

red_johnny

I am looking to order my gas engine 1500 series passenger here soon. A few things I am going to confirm with the dealer first but should be ordering in a week or two. Seems some are getting around 18 MPG on the gasser.

sanomechanic

Normal use MPG is around 17 and with good conditions, ie 65 mph on flat highway is around 18.
First you have changed diameter of tire. That changes the reading on your cluster. Every time the 265 turns you have traveled 3.71 inches further than the 245. At 65 MPH you are actually 67.52. That adds up fast.

Second that reading on cluster is never accurate. In fact it is usually WAY OFF.

The proper method to calculate actual fuel mileage is fill up. Reset trip meter. Take your road trip. Fill again. Divide miles by gallons. Since you changed tire size add 3.5% to miles traveled or use your GPS miles but then you can not deviate from the map guidance. There you have it. Actual MPG

With 265/75r16 your estimate is between 3 and 4 % short by using the table in the link below

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=245-75r16-265-75r16

Last edited:

tech49

2019 2500 144 4cyl GAS
So it sounds like the mpg is around 17 to 18?

Anyone do an oil change yet?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

rmplstlskn

We just picked up a 2.0 1500 passenger last night. The oil filter is dead center, on top as you look down after opening the hood. We haven’t needed to change the oils yet but getting to the filter appears easy. The 9speed is also pretty sweet. We. Will have it on the highway today...fingers crossed it’s not a dog! We have it for an around town commuter and believe it’s a great fit for that.

I can snap a pic later if that would be helpful.

tech49

2019 2500 144 4cyl GAS
We just picked up a 2.0 1500 passenger last night. The oil filter is dead center, on top as you look down after opening the hood. We haven’t needed to change the oils yet but getting to the filter appears easy. The 9speed is also pretty sweet. We. Will have it on the highway today...fingers crossed it’s not a dog! We have it for an around town commuter and believe it’s a great fit for that.

I can snap a pic later if that would be helpful.
Yeah a pic of the oil filter would be great! And drain bolt perspective shot if its not asking too much...? Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Helgin

Only a couple years after the requested picture, but since threads live forever, here’s a pic of the oil filter on my 2019 gasser. It’s the dirty one on the right (or top). On the left is the wrong filter I ordered from RockAuto. Both types of filters come up on their search, but for my van, the shorter one with the white gasket is the right one.

The change is very straightforward. The drain pan is right up front and easy to reach. The oil filter housing is also easy to spot after opening the hood. I used a 1 1/8” socket to open that, but it’s probably 28mm.

Attachments

ShaneHouston

Only a couple years after the requested picture, but since threads live forever, here’s a pic of the oil filter on my 2019 gasser. It’s the dirty one on the right (or top). On the left is the wrong filter I ordered from RockAuto. Both types of filters come up on their search, but for my van, the shorter one with the white gasket is the right one.

The change is very straightforward. The drain pan is right up front and easy to reach. The oil filter housing is also easy to spot after opening the hood. I used a 1 1/8” socket to open that, but it’s probably 28mm.
What did it cost you to change the oil? I have a ‘21 gasser and I’ll eventually have to make the decision between DIY and dealership. Thankfully, I have a pit here at the shop so access to underneath wouldn’t be an issue. Thanks!

Helgin

The oil was about $80 for 11 quarts of Castrol EDGE 5w40 with the 229.5 designation. The filter was about $6 from RockAuto but about $20 locally.

Oh, and really no need for a pit or lift. Didn't even need a creeper. Main thing for me was having an oil pan to catch and hold 11 quarts.

D

Deleted member 50714

Not certain about VS30 but a 3-1/2 gallon bucket just fits under a NCV.

FA9865CF-A537-4FDB-BCBC-EB4C22378D48.jpeg

ShaneHouston

The oil was about $80 for 11 quarts of Castrol EDGE 5w40 with the 229.5 designation. The filter was about $6 from RockAuto but about $20 locally.

Oh, and really no need for a pit or lift. Didn't even need a creeper. Main thing for me was having an oil pan to catch and hold 11 quarts.
That’s not bad! Are we required to take our van to the dealer since it’s under warranty? This will be my first oil change. Can you reset the Service reminder on the Distronic?

Helgin

That’s not bad! Are we required to take our van to the dealer since it’s under warranty? This will be my first oil change. Can you reset the Service reminder on the Distronic?
I don’t think it’s legal for a warranty to be voided by doing your own maintenance, so long as you can show proof if it later is questioned. And yes, I reset the service reminder following some online videos. It took a few tries since I didn’t have the front door closed at first, a requirement that wasn’t mentioned in the first video I followed.

Philip53

2021 2500 Sprinter 170, 4 cyl gas
I changed my oil & filter for the first time a couple weeks ago. It was by far the easiest oil change I have ever done on any vehicle.

And 3,000 miles into the trip, indicated mpg is 15.5. My conversion weighs 8800 lbs, and a lot of mountain driving so far. And, the little gasser did great in the mountains - every bit as good as my '17 Navion with the V6 diesel, but it weighed about 11,000 lbs.

Last edited:

klempak

I changed my oil & filter for the first time a couple weeks ago. It was by far the easiest oil change I have ever done on any vehicle.

And 3,000 miles into the trip, indicated mpg is 15.5. My conversion weighs 8800 lbs, and a lot of mountain driving so far. And, the little gasser did great in the mountains - every bit as good as my '17 Navion with the V6 diesel, but it weighed about 11,000 lbs.
How did you reset service reminder after doing your own oil change? I have gasser as well. Some dealers around here are charging arm and leg for for Service A and the one who are reasonable are scheduled more than month out therefore I'd rather do it by myself. Did you get oil and filter from dealer? Thank you!!

Philip53

2021 2500 Sprinter 170, 4 cyl gas
I bought several oil filters from my selling dealer, and surprisingly they were not that expensive. I use Amsoil full synthetic in everything I own. They have oil for every spec rating.

I got the instructions on how to reset the service reminder here on the forum. I printed it out & now carry the instructions in the van. The instructions are certainly convuluted - not the easy two or three button sequence on my Chevy pickup, which takes about 5 seconds to do. If you can't find the directions, ask back here & I'll go get my printed sheets & try to find out where you can find it.

Top Bottom