winnebago view range hood fan noise

dlgolder2

I have a very noisy range hood fan.
I removed the motor. It runs quiet however, when I place the bracket on the bench the vibration translates to noise on the bench.
Has anyone managed to quiet the sound by rubber mounting the motor assembly?
Any other suggestions?
Maybe a new motor is the solution.
Thanks.
:cheers:

Alphacarina

2006 Itasca Navion 23H
I would guess something is a bit out of balance - Unless it feels very smooth running while you're holding it in your hand, mounting it to a bunch of tin is just going to give it a 'sounding board' to turn those little vibrations into sound. If it's vibrating even a little bit, I would just buy a new one as I doubt the time and trouble of trying to flex mount it is going to pay off by making it very much quieter

Don

twrooney

My 2013 View is equipped with a Trusty Products range hood vent fan, which was very noisy, and also had a problem with the motor intermentely stopping. On further checking I found the switch was bad, the blower itself was wobbly, and Trusty Products is out of business. Replaced the switch and re-installed, at this point decided to just live with the noise.

Noticed the motor is the same diameter as the bathroom vent motor, which I replaced with a computer fan after the plastic fan disintegrated, could possibly use this motor and a new fan blade in the range hood and possibly quiet it down some. The motors are made by Heng and are readily available at Amazon.

dlgolder2

My 2013 View is equipped with a Trusty Products range hood vent fan, which was very noisy, and also had a problem with the motor intermentely stopping. On further checking I found the switch was bad, the blower itself was wobbly, and Trusty Products is out of business. Replaced the switch and re-installed, at this point decided to just live with the noise.

Noticed the motor is the same diameter as the bathroom vent motor, which I replaced with a computer fan after the plastic fan disintegrated, could possibly use this motor and a new fan blade in the range hood and possibly quiet it down some. The motors are made by Heng and are readily available at Amazon.
Thanks for your input. I too have a squirrel cage fan that is wobbly. My 3 amp circuit breaker was very internement. Touch it and the fan would work, then touch it again and the fan would stop. I replaced the circuit breaker and also live with the noisy fan.
Thanks again.

Notbusdrvr

I had a problem with my '17 View vent (lost the outside cap). I discovered that Trusty products is a 3 person company that imports products and sells to Winnebago. They are not a manufacturer.

If you need to replace the fan, use the suggestion in an above post for a computer fan.

If you need to replace the outer hood, see my post on a DIY solution in the Winnebago owners forum. Winnebago will only sell you the entire assembly - fan, housing, and hood.http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f265/lost-vent-cover-where-to-get-one-355411.html

Last edited:

dlgolder2

I ended up balancing the fan. I crafted a dowel rod pushing it through the fan and suspended it between two saw horses. added temporary weights (paperclip and small washers.) when I got the fan to stop going to the heavy side I measured the weight using a reloading scale. then I made small screws weight the same and installed them in the plastic fan.
I also found after I install the proper weight, I needed to remove some materiel in a different spot. I just drilled some plastic out in a couple of places being careful not to go completely trough the plastic.
outcome the fan is very quiet now and no wobbles.

Last edited:

Alphacarina

2006 Itasca Navion 23H
Good solution!

Squirrel cage fans used in home heating and A/C are usually metal and they use little push on clips to balance them. Sounds like the cheap junk Winne used in their range hoods didn't bother to balance any of theirs. What you've done not only got rid of your noise, but it probably will increase the life of the fan several fold

Don

clark261

Even the most expensive range hoods make a noise when turned to the highest setting. The key thing to remember is to choose a noise level or rating that is acceptable. Many people don't appear to care. After all, a loud range hood means you'll have to work extra hard to keep the fumes out of the rest of your RV.

Top Bottom