What will I find under my interior panels on a 2003 passenger.

Cavah

2002 Hymer RV, 2500 chassis
I plan on adding sound reduction/ deadening and insulation to my 2003 140wb passenger. I am trying to get my ducks in order and buy what I need before opening up the interior panels.

Anyone know if there is already some stick on butyl type sound reduction on the body and roof panels. I think there is some kind of existing insulation that will need to be removed.

Thanks,

John

Eric Experience

John
As yours is a passenger model you should have some insulation, no need to remove it as it will be better than most aftermarket stuff. The most important thing to understand with insulation is the way the water is managed in the panels. Because the body flexes a lot when driving there will always be a small amount of water coming in through the seams on the roof, this water runs into the roof rails and then across into the top of the walls where it goes through drain holes into the wall cavity and then out through drain holes in the sills. Whatever you choose to use as insulation must not impede that water movement. Eric.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
All that's inside the walls of a passenger T1N is a (1/4inch?) layer of grey open-celled foam glued to the exterior metal walls.
Other than that, you'just got the padding that's on the trim panels themselves.
You'll want a trim tool to remove the panels (slips in behind and applies extraction pressure directly to the plastic clips).

TrimTools.jpg

TrimTools1.jpg

Cheap from auto parts stores, Amazon and eBay...

Plastic ones (2nd photo) won't mar your paint.
The tools make it easy to remove the panels without destroying their fiberboard where the clips attach.

--dick

xeres

All that's inside the walls of a passenger T1N is a (1/4inch?) layer of grey open-celled foam glued to the exterior metal walls.
--dick
So, this needs to be removed before adding sound deadening, no? Is there anything under the flooring? I'm in the same boat as @Cavah - a newbie owner (2 weeks!) of a 2006 118wb passenger van that needs some quieting and insulation.

So, this needs to be removed before adding sound deadening, no? Is there anything under the flooring? I'm in the same boat as @Cavah - a newbie owner (2 weeks!) of a 2006 118wb passenger van that needs some quieting and insulation.
I removed it with a wire brush on an angle grinder.

ions82

John
As yours is a passenger model you should have some insulation, no need to remove it as it will be better than most aftermarket stuff. The most important thing to understand with insulation is the way the water is managed in the panels. Because the body flexes a lot when driving there will always be a small amount of water coming in through the seams on the roof, this water runs into the roof rails and then across into the top of the walls where it goes through drain holes into the wall cavity and then out through drain holes in the sills. Whatever you choose to use as insulation must not impede that water movement. Eric.
So, roof seams are DESIGNED to leak? I had rust along mine. There was water dripping inside the van during rain. I climbed on top and installed Eternabond along the seams. Then, I went ahead and used sound dampener (Noico 80) before filling the walls and ceiling with insulation. I sure hope I don't have moisture coming in the seams at this point. Guess I'll find out eventually.

JoeyB

So, roof seams are DESIGNED to leak? I had rust along mine. There was water dripping inside the van during rain. I climbed on top and installed Eternabond along the seams. Then, I went ahead and used sound dampener (Noico 80) before filling the walls and ceiling with insulation. I sure hope I don't have moisture coming in the seams at this point. Guess I'll find out eventually.
I think you'll be fine. I actually did the same thing to mine, had a leak on one of the seams. Took off the rust with a wirebrush, painted some POR15 into the seam/bare metal and then covered each one with eternabond tape. No leaks since!! It's been about least 6 months with no issues.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
T1N roof seams are known to leak depending on body style and years. Best to preemptively reseal. They will crack and cause corrosion.

Top Bottom