Amazon just bought 400....

T town

Just found out Ford delayed production of 2020 Transit customer (regular people?) vans again so as to make more Amazon vans.
Not sure if the Prime vans are 2019 or 2020. I feel they must be 2019.
The latest delay is 5 weeks more so Mercedes isn’t the only one with customers doing a slow simmer.

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
Just found out Ford delayed production of 2020 Transit customer (regular people?) vans again so as to make more Amazon vans.
Not sure if the Prime vans are 2019 or 2020. I feel they must be 2019.
The latest delay is 5 weeks more so Mercedes isn’t the only one with customers doing a slow simmer.

It probably does not matter to them what year it is, they are going to have their flunkies beat it up anyways.

HarryN

Found out they lease them. From who? Amazon or the manufacturer?
My (very incomplete) understanding is that:
- Amazon specs the van
- A leasing company actually owns the vans
- The leasing company leases the vans to the people / small companies that do the amazon delivery work

I don't know exactly who is making the commitments required to drive the order through the leasing company and the auto company. Speculating - perhaps amazon is providing a guarantee of some kind to the leasing company.

It is a pretty brilliant way for amazon to build up a "controlled delivery service" and not have to deal with a bunch of cash tied up in vehicle ownership - nor employees.

In the airline industry, a surprising number of aircraft are owned by leasing companies. GE (finance) was well known to purchase Boeing aircraft and lease them to airlines. This gave GE the ability to spec GE engines, avionics, etc in the order.

Last edited:

Top Bottom