Planar 2D heater at 10,000 ft

mcrox

I opted to install a Planar 2D diesel heater, high altitude version, a few months ago and just returned from an extended trip including 3 weeks roaming around Colorado. I'm extremely happy with the performance so far. One night was above Leadville (10,000+ ft) and the heater fired right up (as always) and worked flawlessly. I have the basic PU-5 controller which adjusts output manually. There is a controller with auto thermostat and more features although I was told by the manufacturer that a new, much improved controller with bluetooth is being released in a couple months. I might add, for anyone interested, that it's important to purchase an export version for Europe or North America which are different than the ones produced for Russia and CIS countries. (Don't purchase Russian version off Ebay.) And, unlike the Espar, there isn't a separate high altitude module that needs to be added, the high altitude version just has different firmware. The heater seems well made and quiet and uses a quality German fuel pump, the cables and connectors are top notch, and it's an absolute cinch to install with plug-n-play connectors. I paid $619 with free shipping.

Last edited:

mcrox

Which vendor did you use?
I chose this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Autoterm-P...Heater-12V-with-PU-5-controller/292338835106?

Couldn't beat the Xenon UK price and the customer service and fast shipping were excellent. That said, I was told that the warranty is valid through any Autoterm Europe partner but I didn't explore that further. I think Total Composites in Victoria, BC has lowered their price and Planar Marine and Truck in Surrey BC is the North American Distributer. Also, Tacoma Truck Parts in Des Moines, WA stocks them and accessories. I ordered a mounting plate from them as shipping from Canada was much higher.

Top Bottom