Graphite Grey Paint Issues

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Do the buffed areas have a suspicious pattern?

AmazonSprint.jpg

--dick

ScottishDingo

Do the buffed areas have a suspicious pattern?

View attachment 145371

--dick
the pattern I see is the “buffed” Areas all have a blemish in the center of each that can still be seen.

1st step in resolving this paint issue will start with an appointment at my local MB with Inspection by general manager and go from there. I will report back with my dealer experience.

I plan to get a body shop to use a paint thickness measuring device to see how much paint was removed

Sorry Scottish Dingo just saw this haven’t been on here in awhile. Yes those spots look similar to what I had and amazingly they buffed out and it now looks great. I did get reimbursed from MB a couple weeks after submitting my receipt to the dealer.
Hope this helps and you get your rigs paint looking correct.

ScottishDingo

Sorry Scottish Dingo just saw this haven’t been on here in awhile. Yes those spots look similar to what I had and amazingly they buffed out and it now looks great. I did get reimbursed from MB a couple weeks after submitting my receipt to the dealer.
Hope this helps and you get your rigs paint looking correct.
Did the shop that did the buffing mention how much paint was removed in the process? I wonder would they be able to do again without getting the clear coat too thin?

The service manager at my local dealer said they have seen this paint issue before and can get the paint buffed out. However in conversation they also said the paint is thin and a with 3 coat process vs the MB cars are a 5 coat process.

They also said a “factory defect“ such as this paint issue is only warranted for 12 months after purchase. I am concerned the blemishes might show though a few yrs later and or the clear coat could be too thin at edges or high spots of panels and peel that would be worst case of course. Has anyone been told MB would extend Warranty coverage of the paint finish? The dealer said the rust warranty coverage would not work for paint wearing thin and rusting from the outside. Rust warranty was really for rust coming through from the inside of a cavity and then coming through the outside.

waiting to hear from MB Sprinter USA corp today on my request for them to buy the sprinter back which I’m guessing will be a no and we move to another solution.

*update MB says they will get back to me in 4-6 weeks with my request

Last edited:

Top Bottom