Stereo recommendations?

Hotratz

Howdy folks,

I'd like to put in a new radio as I still have the factory unit installed.

I'd like to have bluetooth for reliable/clear hands-free phone operation as well as for music, podcasts, etc.

A display for Carplay would be a nice feature but requires a single-din with flip-out display. There's a relatively new Alpine single-din radio with a fixed screen but I'm concerned about clearance from the tranny shift lever in park position. Anyone with experience with this?

Thanks for any recommendations!

BTW, anyone have any experience with the Alpine Halo mech-less stereos?

https://www.alpine-usa.com/product/alpine-halo9-radio-apple-carplay-android-auto-ilx-f309

Last edited:

Jmo2

Mid City Engineering @midcityengineering.com calls it the Alpine Halo9 Radio Add-On for a Sprinter (907) Radio Kit. They also have a wiring harness to get the back up camera off the rear view mirror and back to a new radio screen.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Mid City Engineering @midcityengineering.com calls it the Alpine Halo9 Radio Add-On for a Sprinter (907) Radio Kit. They also have a wiring harness to get the back up camera off the rear view mirror and back to a new radio screen.
But 'Hotratz's Westfalia will be a T1N (ie 903 series) and not an NCV3 (907 series) so this add-on kit will not work.

Keith.

Kiltym

'05 Westy
I installed a Joying single DIN Android stereo in our Westy (with 7" screen it fits fine in the T1N). I bought 2 years ago, so they have new models, and more screen sizes now, so you might get something bigger to fit. The one I ordered is a little laggy on certain functions (like older Android tablets were), but I suspect the newer models are smoother since they use faster processors and newer Android versions. I like it since I can put anything on it I want, whenever I want. Not limited by the manufacturer with the apps. I do not connect my phone to it, since it can just run the apps natively so I dont have much experience with BT with a phone. I do have it connected full time to a BT OBD adapter for Torque however, which works fine. I use my phone's hotspot for the radio's internet access.

I like it, but I am a bit of a techy as it is basically an Android tablet in a stereo form factor.

Customer support is mediocre, so don't expect a lot of hand holding.....

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi

Hotratz

I've been looking at this one, https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130AV3500/Pioneer-AVH-3500NEX.html It does just about everything (back-up camera compatible, DVD player, Apple CarPlay, etc.)
However, Crutchfield says that it won't fit. This is odd, because it is a single DIN size.
I can confirm that this radio does fit. A friend of mine with a Westy installed this model and I have hands-on time with it. If memory serves, I don't believe there were any significant or unsurmountable functional challenges with the screen position other than not being able to tilt the screen as far back as I would have liked. Still very usable, though.

mrweenus

05 Westy
The radio in a T1N is recessed into the dash surround so the 'overhang' at the top would prevent the radio screen from opening fully.

Keith.
Thanks Keith! I have been wondering why a handful of these single DIN units said they didn't fit the T1N! Was frustrated that crutchfield wouldn't give a reason why these wouldn't fit.

mrweenus

05 Westy
I can confirm that this radio does fit. A friend of mine with a Westy installed this model and I have hands-on time with it. If memory serves, I don't believe there were any significant or unsurmountable functional challenges with the screen position other than not being able to tilt the screen as far back as I would have liked. Still very usable, though.
Hotratz, I've yet to remove the deck that's currently in my Westy, but wondering if there is any way to modify the mounting of the deck so that deck could be slightly forward mounted and screen to open up fully? If needed/limitations don't bug me, I'm not opposed to chopping off the overhang on the dash, but that would be a last resort.

Top Bottom