Larger tires cutting fender to get them to fit in a VS30

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
So finally got around to addressing larger tires on a 2019 2WD Sprinter. As you know the new fenders don't allow larger tires to fit without rubbing big time. Best alternative is Agile's fender flairs (nice product) but I figured going old school on my friends van by trimming away is worth a try as for the most part its just a trimmed lower fender...either way you gotta get rid of the lower fender piece...so nothing to loose if a little cutting is required is what I figured and it seemed super simple. Worst case replace the lower fender.

So out the cutting saw and some tape as a cut guideline...basically trimmed the new fender similar to Agile's piece and matching the older NCV3 fenders. You can see there was zero clearance before the left tire in particular really rubbing a lot. After trimming we had plenty of clearance even using the older fender. Removing the lower part of fender and expanding the inner fender liner by bending the support brace back that holds it. (metal rod actually pictured below)

1. Removed plastic lower fender, nuts and screws.
2. Pulled fender surround out away from the sheet metal
3 Marked outline of new curve with tape starting at the bottom indent of the pinch weld and bringing it up into the curve of the fender to make the cut seem "factory"
4. Take the air saw out and make a clean cut
5. Make L bracket to replace the lower mounting hole that you just cut off; use sheet metal screws to hold bracket and new mounting hole
6. Use sheet metal screw to hold the lower plastic fender liner in place at the bottom pinch weld
7. Bend the inner brace back towards rear of van pulling the fender liner back to make more room around the tire as well
8. Replace the outside plastic fender for that factory look and to cover stainless sheet metal screws of the new L bracket.

*make sure to primer all edges cut

We now have plenty of room. No rubbing, easy 1- 1.5 hour mod. Helps to have an air saw big time to make clean cuts as its a bit tight. Not a big deal, reminded me of the old days cutting and rolling fenders to make room for new tires and modified suspensions.

fender trim.jpg

after trim.jpg

bar to be bent towards rear.jpg

Tire fit.jpg

new clearance.jpg

Last edited:

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
Re: 265/75/16 Tires on 2019 2WD Fender Trim

Finished van stock 16" wheels 265/75/16 BFG KO2's with about 50% tread. Ran out of pic links.

I am sure we could have cut a bit more if needed...but we did not as to be conservative to cut only what was needed. Seemed to drive fine with no rubbing at all. You can see in previous pics where tire was hitting inner wheel well plastic and afterwards was not..about 3/8 inch clearance or more.

I am actually surprised not to see anyone post a thread on this...or I did not see it. Figured someone had to have cut there fenders by now. I report if we have any problems after he drives it around for a week. But around the block it seemed to work out perfect and maintained the factory look nicely.

side of van.jpg

Pass side pic.jpg

front tire 2.jpg

Last edited:

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
Update...day of driving...no rubbing so I think this is a thumbs up mod! Trim away and put those larger tires on!

wquek

Work in progress
Thank you so much for the detailed and useful writeup. I think I saw Van Compass show a photo of their fender cut to allow 35s to fit in the 907 Winnebago but they didn’t go into any details. Looks similar. I will have to attempt this in the spring. Like you said, nothing to lose anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
Thank you so much for the detailed and useful writeup. I think I saw Van Compass show a photo of their fender cut to allow 35s to fit in the 907 Winnebago but they didn’t go into any details. Looks similar. I will have to attempt this in the spring. Like you said, nothing to lose anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry did not take more pics...we just got to excited cutting and wasn't planning on doing a tutorial...but it really is pretty basic if you have ever trimmed a fender for tire clearance...if it scares you...then likely not a mod for you or worse case you buy the Agile one for $300 but you have to put it on/off which is actually a bit more involved this this mod.

Eric B

You had to cut the fender to get 265/75R16 to fit? Did I read that right?
I didn’t think 2wd and 4x4 would fit that different ... I’ve got a 2019 4x4 at stock height and 265/75R16 fit fine
You sure you don’t have bigger tires?

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
You had to cut the fender to get 265/75R16 to fit? Did I read that right?
I didn’t think 2wd and 4x4 would fit that different ... I’ve got a 2019 4x4 at stock height and 265/75R16 fit fine
You sure you don’t have bigger tires?
Due to height the 4WD has a bit more clearance because of the lift, this size for sure rubbed on the 2wd. There is a difference in max size even with modification and the 4WD can take a larger size. Pretty well documented by Agile Off Road.

Top Bottom