Contemplating 2015 Serenity

Rob S

2018 Navion 24G IQ on 2016 Sprinter
Greetings

I presently have a 2008 Navion J which I am very pleased with, but for various reasons am considering a newer (2013 or 2015) serenity. Thus quite familiar with the sprinter chassis. We like the useable interior space without need for the slideout dinette that we currently have. It would be a bit lower profile and more stable that our tall Navion.

A couple of our concerns with the RV portion are:

The serenity has external unheated tanks including fresh water. Has anyone experienced driving or overnighting in colder temperatures while not yet winterized, and had freezeup problems?

Are any of the compartments big enough to put in a couple of gravity chairs

How well does the screen door work for you?

The 2013 that is available has very low mileage (10,000) and a good price, but it has the plastic folding bathroom door, amongst a few other issues. Can that be upgraded to a solid door??

Also requesting comments from anyone who is familiar with both Navion and Serenity on any differences we might not have noticed.

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
The pipes for the Serenity do run indoors, so the only freezing pipes you will get are the shower pTrap, assuming there is one, they could be using those traps that only open until all the water has gone past. So if you are worried about TANKS freezing you can simply put in the water anti-freeze when you get to a place where the temps drop and are not coming back, or dump the tanks.

The shower is big enough for those folding lounge chairs

The screen door works awesome, it disappears for 98% of its life and then when you need it, it's right there. If you bump it or your pet does, it zips away into it's container.

-Randy

Rob S

This contemplation is over, price was too high.

Now contemplating fixes and improvements to our Navion.

Bertible

Rob,
Too bad we can't draw you over to the LTV side. I'm also on the island, and we have an older '08 Libero, the identical twin to the Serenity, but with Chevy chassis. We love our LTV, but I admit they are pricey, and rare, unless you find one of a similar age to your Navion.

I thought I would still answer the question about gravity chairs for other LTV owners. I posted a mod on the LTV forum for those Freedom II (original SerenityLibero coach) units with a fixed corner bed, and outside storage access below the bed. It might apply to newer Serenities, and CB Unities too, if they have this same storage compartment. https://www.ltvforum.com/index.php?topic=9.0 In simple terms, you can cut a hatch in the vertical wall that splits the underbed storage in half. That enables you to stick larger items into the otherwise unusable storage space from outside. This mod might also work on the automated couch bed models, but the space gained would be less due to the folding mechanism taking some room (maybe 1 chair). A complementary mod is to create a hinged door from the bathroom side of the bed base to access the remaining underbed space for shoes, bottled water or critical supplies like TP, beer and peanut butter.

Gary
Shawnigan Lake, BC
08 LTV Libero

geds

2018 Serenity
Rob,
Too bad we can't draw you over to the LTV side. I'm also on the island, and we have an older '08 Libero, the identical twin to the Serenity, but with Chevy chassis. We love our LTV, but I admit they are pricey, and rare, unless you find one of a similar age to your Navion.

I thought I would still answer the question about gravity chairs for other LTV owners. I posted a mod on the LTV forum for those Freedom II (original SerenityLibero coach) units with a fixed corner bed, and outside storage access below the bed. It might apply to newer Serenities, and CB Unities too, if they have this same storage compartment. https://www.ltvforum.com/index.php?topic=9.0 In simple terms, you can cut a hatch in the vertical wall that splits the underbed storage in half. That enables you to stick larger items into the otherwise unusable storage space from outside. This mod might also work on the automated couch bed models, but the space gained would be less due to the folding mechanism taking some room (maybe 1 chair). A complementary mod is to create a hinged door from the bathroom side of the bed base to access the remaining underbed space for shoes, bottled water or critical supplies like TP, beer and peanut butter.

Gary
Shawnigan Lake, BC
08 LTV Libero
I have a 2018 Serenity corner bed and did the same. I cut a passthrough from the outside side compartment through the plywood brace for the bed. I used 2x4" to reinforce the bed support and I can now load two folding tables and two folding lounge chairs through the opening. There is still room under the bed for rarely used items such as a travel duffle bag for times we decide to stay in a motel (this came in handy when we had to leave it for service).

eralimited57

2008 Sprinter 2500 170 Extended High Top 3.0L CRD
Think twice before you give up your NON Def (blue tec) 2008 unit. Sounds like you did but for other reasons. Just wanted to point that out.

Rob S

Think twice before you give up your NON Def (blue tec) 2008 unit.
Thanks to both the above. This did enter into the calculation. If you have one of those DEF inflicted units, there is an emergency remedy posted in the NCV3 forum for the dreaded xx starts remaining, so you can fearlessly keep driving until it is convenient to have it repaired. I will see if I can find a link and post it here.

geds

2018 Serenity
Thanks to both the above. This did enter into the calculation. If you have one of those DEF inflicted units, there is an emergency remedy posted in the NCV3 forum for the dreaded xx starts remaining, so you can fearlessly keep driving until it is convenient to have it repaired. I will see if I can find a link and post it here.
It's not that big of a deal with newer models. Now the instrument panel has a gauge that shows you how much DEF you have. I keep a gallon on board in case I wind up somewhere that doesn't have any available. And I refill it at 1/2 tank, just like I try to refuel at a 1/4 tank.

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
Hmmm... Yes, one of my goals with buying the original Serenity was getting the 5-banger T1N that can use any diesel on the market, but I really haven't taken advantage. The bio-diesel place near us is always way too expensive, and the wife is wary about heading to Mexico on a vacation. I do like getting better than 18 MPG, but it is noisier than your'alls 6-bangers, and it's getup and go isn't what it could be.

geds

2018 Serenity
Also, we had tank heater pads installed on our 2018. The switches are located in the control panel left of the Truma controls.

geds

2018 Serenity
The pipes for the Serenity do run indoors, so the only freezing pipes you will get are the shower pTrap, assuming there is one, they could be using those traps that only open until all the water has gone past. So if you are worried about TANKS freezing you can simply put in the water anti-freeze when you get to a place where the temps drop and are not coming back, or dump the tanks.

The shower is big enough for those folding lounge chairs

The screen door works awesome, it disappears for 98% of its life and then when you need it, it's right there. If you bump it or your pet does, it zips away into it's container.

-Randy
Randy - I am glad somebody likes the screen door! We hated the darn thing! It constantly jumped the track and wouldn't open all the way without getting on the ground and working with it. We finally just left it open and rarely used it!

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
It does work best if it's kept clean. There is screen door lube that helps it slide. We have the same screens on our home and are familiar with their operation, so it was thrilling to discover them on the RV.

Top Bottom