New 2019 4x4

P

Patrick walsh

Hi all,

I should introduce myself.

My name is patrick, i live just outside Boston. I’m a custom cabinet maker by trade and plan to completely do up my new van. It will be overtime as and not right away as I don’t do anything half way so I assume it’s gong to cost me the price of a few black market organs.

I’ll get started come spring time.

Till then I’m trying to figure out the exact bolt pattern and offset of the wheels on the 2019 4x4 as I have brand new 285/75/16 Duratracs on my outgoing vehicle. They are on procomp 6089 and they have a six bolt pattern and I believe a 130mm offset.

It’s gonna be pushing it to stuff these tires on the vehicle factory stock. At the least I want to save them for post fox 2” lift. If the rims have he same bolt pattern though I’d like to swap them out now if I can. If not then new rims and shocks come spring.

I got my van pretty loaded 10.25 MBUX. Someone told me anything over 265/75/16 will screw with my adaptive cruise and navigation system.

Can anybody help me with the above two questions?

I hope to have some fun around here now that I own this van.

mdbrown

Probably don't have 130mm offset. Offset is the measurement from mounting surface to the middle of the rim. I think you're referring to the 6x130mm bolt pattern, and that is correct. Stock offset is somewhere around 58-62mm, depending on which stock rim you got, steel or alloy. Aftermarket offset is usually in the 50s to the 30s, the 30s sticking further out. From everything I've read, 285s will not fit a stock 4x4, and 285/75s are pushing 33", and I've read the same as you with respect to tires above 32-point-something causing GPS-related problems. I'm in the same boat as you, but waiting on my van to arrive in about a week. I keep looking here regularly to try to gain some wisdom from other people's experiences, but it looks like maybe there just aren't that many 2019s yet getting major suspension upgrades.

P

Patrick walsh

Congrats on the new van.

I fell into this whole thing very last minute and pretty much by mistake.

I had been needing a new vehicle and on the fence between a pickup and van.

Pretty much I had come down to the choices knowing the van was the best for me as a contractor but least attractive as a daily driver.

Out of left field my employer told me he was closing shop but wanted to sub contact me his work moving forward. Who knows what that will look like but to date he has had piles and piles of work. He can’t seem to turn a profit though so who is to say I can with him subcontracting me the work. The other option is go get a job in another shop or doing finish work and honestly neither is attractive to me.

Point being I had to rush out and take a loan while I had a verifiable source of income. I sure as heck didn’t see myself spending $60 plus on a vehicle but you know I just couldn’t get myself to buy a transit. If I did purchase something other than a sprinter it was going to be a Tacoma TRD Pro. That vehicle being $40K vrs $60 but leaving me limited as a cabinet maker.

So here I am. My intent as a cabinet maker is to find a nitche within the outfitter community to supplement making Uber high end kitchens, built ins, libraries along with occasion retail and institutional fixtures and displays using my own van as a showpiece. You know get out and travel so people see it, go to the expos so forth and so on.

For now I just want to get the terrible stock tires off the vehicle. I must say the van drives a dream and I couldn’t be more happy with my purchase other than it having had been a 170” that I could not source in 4x4 on the fly.

I wish I knew exactly what it meant when it was suggested anything over 32” will interfere with the nav and active cruise. Specifically because you know if even after I put the 2” Van Compass lift on I still can’t run the 275/85/16 tires I have from my old truck I might as well forgo the headache of swapping out tires before donating the vehicle and just buy new 265/75/16’s and be done with it.

I will be very very disappointed if I can’t run at least 33’s though. The van is gonna be very wimpy on 32’s..

I guess we get to be pioneers lol...

Probably don't have 130mm offset. Offset is the measurement from mounting surface to the middle of the rim. I think you're referring to the 6x130mm bolt pattern, and that is correct. Stock offset is somewhere around 58-62mm, depending on which stock rim you got, steel or alloy. Aftermarket offset is usually in the 50s to the 30s, the 30s sticking further out. From everything I've read, 285s will not fit a stock 4x4, and 285/75s are pushing 33", and I've read the same as you with respect to tires above 32-point-something causing GPS-related problems. I'm in the same boat as you, but waiting on my van to arrive in about a week. I keep looking here regularly to try to gain some wisdom from other people's experiences, but it looks like maybe there just aren't that many 2019s yet getting major suspension upgrades.

Last edited by a moderator:

grantwilson

FreedomVanGo
iit takes considerable amount of trimming to fit on a stock vs30 with no lift for a 285/75-16 and not rub at all
I have the agile fender clearance panels and it helps a good bit.

There is no need to be a pioneer.
It wont work on the active nav because there is a GPS speed sensor and wheel speed sensor. with the 33" it is too far out of sync to be in limits and wont let you doit

P

Patrick walsh

Grant thanks for responding,

Now I’m really confused. I called up the service department where I purchased my van today. They have two full time sprinter techs on hand at all times.

I was told as stated here that 265/75/16 was the biggest I could go without having issues. I was however told that if I wanted to go bigger I could but that they would have to do some reprogramming so that everything would work. I was quoted one hour of labor to do the reprogramming.

They also requested they mount and balance the new tires onto the rims.

Has anyone else been told such by a dealer. I’m inclined to to think they would not suggest doing all this unless they knew they could.

But you know I’d also be surprised to find out I’m the first one to figure this out with the dealer.

So what say you?

iit takes considerable amount of trimming to fit on a stock vs30 with no lift for a 285/75-16 and not rub at all
I have the agile fender clearance panels and it helps a good bit.

There is no need to be a pioneer.
It wont work on the active nav because there is a GPS speed sensor and wheel speed sensor. with the 33" it is too far out of sync to be in limits and wont let you doit

sanomechanic

Now I’m really confused. I called up the service department where I purchased my van today. They have two full time sprinter techs on hand at all times.

I was told as stated here that 265/75/16 was the biggest I could go without having issues.
One thing to be careful of with these New Sprinters. If anything fails or has issues from Transmissions to suspension to whatever MB can blame on alterations... Your warranty in that particular area my be voided. If work was performed by dealer then no worries.

Through my 35 plus years working for Toyota, Lexus, Honda and Acura. I have witness many warranty claims denied due to installation of certain aftermarket applications. Including certain over sized and or extreme offset wheel and tire packages.

For instance...Put a lift kit and go 4 sizes up on tires then your wheel bearings start growling, transmission fails or propeller shafts start going bad. Doubt very seriously MB will repair it under warranty

Last edited:

430 hp 70

'19 144 Gas Passenger - Carlsbad
One thing to be careful of with these New Sprinters. If anything fails or has issues from Transmissions to suspension to whatever MB can blame on alterations... Your warranty in that particular area my be voided. If work was performed by dealer then no worries.

Through my 35 plus years working for Toyota, Lexus, Honda and Acura. I have witness many warranty claims denied due to installation of certain aftermarket applications. Including certain over sized and or extreme offset wheel and tire packages.

For instance...Put a lift kit and go 4 sizes up on tires then your wheel bearings start growling, transmission fails or propeller shafts start going bad. Doubt very seriously MB will repair it under warranty
Not totally disagreeing, but GM agreed to rebuild transmissions under warranty in both the wifes yukon with a ecm/tcm tune and my silverado with larger tires and tune. I say agreed because we ended up having the dealer replace the wife's transmission instead of rebuilding after the extended warranty company agreed to pay for it.

I can't say i wasn't worried, but no questions asked by either dealer. Both also failed for different reasons. I'm pretty positive the wifes was a torque converter and i know mine had a retraining ring fail.

Last edited:

sanomechanic

Not totally disagreeing, but GM agreed to rebuild transmissions under warranty in both the wifes yukon with a ecm/tcm tune and my silverado with larger tires and tune. I say agreed because we ended up having the dealer replace the wife's transmission instead of rebuilding after the extended warranty company agreed to pay for it.

I can't say i wasn't worried, but no questions asked by either dealer. Both also failed for different reasons. I'm pretty positive the wifes was a torque converter and i know mine had a retraining ring fail.
Just over sized probably not. But going large and altering vehicle to make fit. That is a different story. Some dealers need the work and money and will turn a blind eye. But...a MB Sprinter. Not a GM or Ford product. They have a high transmission failure rate anyhow.

Like I said...MB will look for ANY reason to decline honoring a warranty.

430 hp 70

'19 144 Gas Passenger - Carlsbad
Just over sized probably not. But going large and altering vehicle to make fit. That is a different story. Some dealers need the work and money and will turn a blind eye. But...a MB Sprinter. Not a GM or Ford product. They have a high transmission failure rate anyhow.

Like I said...MB will look for ANY reason to decline honoring a warranty.

It is lifted, but I get your point. It's unfortunate if MB is denying claims for something like that.

P

Patrick walsh

It’s only natural the conversation would turn towards warranty.

Funny thing, well not funny probably. But I mentioned the potential for issues with with my adaptive cruise and my nav when buying the vehicle.

I mentioned and made clear why I was buying 4x4 and that I intended to turn the vehicle into a camper off road beast. We talked about this kinda at length when he tried to sell me the standard extended warranty.

His response “and yes I get he is a sales man trying to make a sale” was specifically and exactly. Well you know we have plenty of people come in with sprinters with the fox shocks and big wheels and all kinds of modifications and it has never been a issue. He followed I immediately by saying that in Europe the sprinters are used for everything from ambulances to search and rescue vehicles and it common for them to be heavily modified, stating they can take it and that they are built to take it.

I’m always suspicious I kinda pretty much trust nobody but my darn mother. But this guy was the least salesman type personality I have ever come across. And you know oddly enough my mother is in high tech sales lol..

Hmm,

Anyway maybe I’d be happy with 265/75/16 and no lift but I doubt it. I hate to spend the $$ on small tires to put them on then go they still look like my grandfathers van.

On the flip side loosing a warranty on a $63K van that is crazy expensive to service nevermind repair well that doesn’t sound fun either.

All this makes me wonder then who are these people whom can afford to build out or buy these $100k plus rigs and have zero warranty..

John E

Congrats on the purchase and congrats (I think) on your new self-employment. Which dealer did you buy from? I've been talking to a few about 2019's.

P

Patrick walsh

Thanks and thanks.

We can only wait and see how both ventures develop.

I purchased at MB of Burlington.

Are you local to Boston..

My salesperson was exceptional.

Congrats on the purchase and congrats (I think) on your new self-employment. Which dealer did you buy from? I've been talking to a few about 2019's.

John E

Thanks and thanks.

We can only wait and see how both ventures develop.

I purchased at MB of Burlington.

Are you local to Boston..

My salesperson was exceptional.
I'm 25 miles west of Boston right off 495. You must have dealt with Dave at MB Burlington? I was working with him earlier this year on one, but the timing wasn't right. And he was very helpful and knowledgeable. I'm also in construction. Electrical and building contracting.

P

Patrick walsh

Yes it was Dave,

I work out of stow. Pretty close to where you describe.

Most of my family is from Hudson. I live in Natick.

I’m moving the van. I must have gotten old. If someone ever told me I would be so excited or be so impressed by Van I woulda told them thy were nuts..

I'm 25 miles west of Boston right off 495. You must have dealt with Dave at MB Burlington? I was working with him earlier this year on one, but the timing wasn't right. And he was very helpful and knowledgeable. I'm also in construction. Electrical and building contracting.

John E

I'm in Milford. My van is strictly for contracting work, but it is set up very well. I built the shelving to fit certain drawer units, and is generally kept spotless. (for a contractor). I found this place in '08 when I bought my first sprinter and am getting re-acquainted in the past 2 years since I bought my current van. A ton of knowledge here. Looking forward to seeing your build.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act provides consumers with a lot of protections, including the ability to add aftermarket parts and do our own maintenance. If your warranty is denied because of modifications to the vehicle, remember that the dealer must show that the failure was caused by the modification. Here is some information from the FTC which enforces the Act (https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance).

Do I have to use the dealer for repairs and maintenance to keep my warranty in effect?

No. An independent mechanic, a retail chain shop, or even you yourself can do routine maintenance and repairs on your vehicle. In fact, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which is enforced by the FTC, makes it illegal for manufacturers or dealers to claim that your warranty is void or to deny coverage under your warranty simply because someone other than the dealer did the work. The manufacturer or dealer can, however, require consumers to use select repair facilities if the repair services are provided to consumers free of charge under the warranty.

That said, there may be certain situations where a repair may not be covered. For example, if you or your mechanic replaced a belt improperly and your engine is damaged as a result, your manufacturer or dealer may deny responsibility for fixing the engine under the warranty. However, according to the FTC, the manufacturer or dealer must be able to demonstrate that it was the improper belt replacement — rather than some other defect — that caused the damage to your engine. The warranty would still be in effect for other parts of your car.

Will using 'aftermarket' or recycled parts void my warranty?

No. An 'aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. A 'recycled' part is a part that was made for and installed in a new vehicle by the manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer, and later removed from the vehicle and made available for resale or reuse. Simply using an aftermarket or recycled part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. The manufacturer or dealer can, however, require consumers to use select parts if those parts are provided to consumers free of charge under the warranty.

Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.

Tips To Avoid Warranty Issues

Here's how to get the most out of your vehicle's warranty:

Read your warranty. Often bundled with your owner's manual, the warranty gives a general description and specific details about your coverage. If you have misplaced your owner's manual, look for it online. Check the "Owners" section of your manufacturer's website.
Be aware of your warranty period. If problems arise that are covered under the warranty, get them checked out before the warranty expires.

Service your car at regular intervals. This is a good idea in any case. But for the sake of keeping your warranty intact, follow the manufacturer's recommended service schedule. Details are in your owner's manual.

Keep all service records and receipts, regardless of who performs the service. This includes oil changes, tire rotations, belt replacement, new brake pads, and inspections. Create a file to keep track of repairs; it will come in handy if you have to use your warranty. If you ever have a warranty claim and it appears that you did not maintain your vehicle, your claim could be denied.

Complain. If you think a dealer's service advisor denied your warranty claim unfairly, ask to speak with a supervisor. If you still aren't satisfied, contact the manufacturer or go to another dealer. You also may wish to file a complaint with your state Attorney General, local consumer protection office, or the FTC.

sanomechanic

Things I have first hand knowledge of, are steering rack and pinions declined after lifts due extreme angle changes of tie rods binding the rack. Have a $4000 Rack fail after a lift and see if MB replaces it under warranty... Propeller shafts declined from spider joint failures due to excessive angle changes during lifts. Transmission tail housing bushing failures sending metal in transmission from propeller shaft angle changes. Control arm bushings blowing out prematurely, Ball joints, inner and outer tie rods ends. Catalytic converters.... The List goes on and on of things I witnessed declined due to altering the engineering of Toyota's Lexus Honda and Acura's. Most of these aftermarket parts out there have very little engineering nor The R&D of original equipment.
There are good AM applications and they cost big $$$ but most of that crap is junk and will fail or not perform with in a year of 2 of installation. I have removed and tossed so much of that MADE IN CHINA garbage away over the years.

Last edited:

grantwilson

FreedomVanGo

I was told as stated here that 265/75/16 was the biggest I could go without having issues. I was however told that if I wanted to go bigger I could but that they would have to do some reprogramming so that everything would work. I was quoted one hour of labor to do the reprogramming.

They also requested they mount and balance the new tires onto the rims.

Has anyone else been told such by a dealer. I’m inclined to to think they would not suggest doing all this unless they knew they could.

But you know I’d also be surprised to find out I’m the first one to figure this out with the dealer.

So what say you?
let me know when you rub everything lol.

If they can in fact reprogram thats cool. the NCV3 you cannot

P

Patrick walsh

It’s funny you should mention the above.

So I finally gave up on my last vehicle “Nissan Frontier” after the steering rack went. A wheel bearing went maybe a couple months before that.

All and not to bad with 100K on it and a hard 100K at that. I had a 3: lift on that vehicle obtained with spacers and different upper control arms and extended ti-rod ends. The rear was just blocks under the leaf springs. A total hack lift but you know I like 50-70k out of that lift before the problems started to surface. Could it have been stuff that would had surfaced anyway I really don’t know.

But you know I spend $18k on that truck 1 year old with 18k miles on it. So a bit more easy to throw that car away at 100k when the issues stared thank a $63k sprinter I’ll assume.

Things I have first hand knowledge of, are steering rack and pinions declined after lifts due extreme angle changes of tie rods binding the rack. Have a $4000 Rack fail after a lift and see if MB replaces it under warranty... Propeller shafts declined from spider joint failures due to excessive angle changes during lifts. Transmission tail housing bushing failures sending metal in transmission from propeller shaft angle changes. Control arm bushings blowing out prematurely, Ball joints, inner and outer tie rods ends. Catalytic converters.... The List goes on and on of things I witnessed declined due to altering the engineering of Toyota's Lexus Honda and Acura's. Most of these aftermarket parts out there have very little engineering nor The R&D of original equipment.
There are good AM applications and they cost big $$$ but most of that crap is junk and will fail or not perform with in a year of 2 of installation. I have removed and tossed so much of that MADE IN CHINA garbage away over the years.

Top Bottom