Who wants an Arduino-based Aux Instrument Panel?

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
Last winter forum member Calbiker and I spent a fair chunk of time reverse engineering the data available from the engine and transmission modules from the OBDII port. He used the information to make a data logger, and I made myself a dash display.

The top row shows true (calibrated) vehicle speed, fuel consumption rate (Litres per hour, or per 100km), LOD, and fuel remaining in the tank (64 litres).

The middle shows engine coolant, ATF, and engine oil sump temperatures, fuel quantity control valve duty, rail pressure, and rail pressure control valve duty, return fuel temperature, oil level, and oil quality.
Next are actual and selected gear, engine and input shaft RPMs, TC Slip, engine torque, input shaft torque.
Bottom section shows LOD, MAF, turbo actuator duty, and EGR duty, and ambient, intake, and MAP air pressures, and intake air temperature.

The display has a touch screen, and this winter I intend to write a bit more code to allow pulling and clearing DTC's from the engine and transmission by tapping areas of the display. It's able to read basic DTC's and their status (eg: P1041, current/pending/stored), but I will have to do some additional snooping to get at the extended sub-codes (eg: P1041-3)

This week I presented one of these to Glasseye, and he encouraged me to share the love and offer them for sale to forum members, something I was holding off doing pending some additional beta testing... but I've been running it full time without a glitch all summer and it seems that the hardware is stable enough.

So... who would be interested in buying one of these if I were to put a batch together, and at what price point?

-dave

vic edit:

A Florida Van Man review.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Nautamaran

Heh - The native ECM values are all metric but I converted to Fahrenheit to match my US cluster.
Note that this device is NAFTA T1N specific, using the 16-pin OBDII connector.

My target price as shown would be around US$175

-dave

Last edited:

glasseye

We installed this device in Frito on a recent trip to Calgary. It's a very impressive piece of hardware. Congrats to Nautamaran and Calbiker for figuring this stuff out. Apparently it's well documented on the "Hacking the K Line" thread. WAY above my pay grade, that stuff.

It displays far more information than my long-time BFF Ultragauge and looks far cooler. :bow: More like a military control room vibe. :thumbup: with its green on black text. Mine has a black container box, not white.

The small fonts made necessary by conveying so much data on a small screen can make for some distracted driving if you're intent on learning what's happening inside your T1N, but Nautamaran reassures me that it's relatively easy for him to re-program the screen content and display.

By and large, it's a welcome addition to Frito's instrumentation. More info as I get used to it and its capabilities.

I'll shoot a macro shot of the screen so y'alls can see the extent of information available. :thumbup:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
YES! I don't have time to build my own with the 4x4 conversion, but the wife really wants one. Count me in!

When I have time later this year, I would totally be down with developing some software add-ons. Programmable alerts maybe? Some rudimentary trend monitoring?

Anybody got a 3d scanner, so we can 3d print a mounting boss for the A pillar?

Last edited:

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
Wow. Great value. Great work!

I’m very interested in having something like this which can save metric data over time and then those values can be retrieved. Perhaps it wouldn’t be all the values, perhaps a specified subset. Any chance your data logged has this fx or could possibly in the future?

Nautamaran

T1N only? Can it be programed for letting us know when regeneration is in progress?
No. Due to the way the T1N uses of the diagnostic K-lines (there are a total of seven), and the undocumented nature of the data blocks being requested (some are 45 bytes long) the programming is specific to the NAFTA T1N. I haven’t looked at the NCV3 to see how difficult it would be to adapt, but this is NOT a CAN-C bus device, it just plugs into the Datalink OBDII Connector (by the hood release).

-dave

Geriakt

2017 View 24J
Nice work. Others have developed Arduino to include back up cameras, Android Audio units, GPS, BMS , Victron Energy Venus devices and others. Wouldn't is be great to combined all this into one unit. I know it is pipe dream, but a thought.

mountainhick

I intend to write a bit more code to allow pulling and clearing DTC's from the engine and transmission by tapping areas of the display. It's able to read basic DTC's and their status (eg: P1041, current/pending/stored), but I will have to do some additional snooping to get at the extended sub-codes (eg: P1041-3)

So... who would be interested in buying one of these if I were to put a batch together, and at what price point?

-dave
Thanks for offering this, what a great tool! I am totally in!

Are you looking at rolling out before or after adding this reading/clearing code function, and is there any plan for other future upgrades (I assume available through re-flashing the arduino?)

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
The nice thing about the arduino is that the upload process is fairly straight forward, so anyone can make changes to the software (if they have the knowhow), and feature additions are a simple mater of reflashing the software/sketch. The Atmel chips are decently capable for embedded hardware, and can handle some modestly sophisticated stuff.

Nautamaran

Wow. Great value. Great work!

I’m very interested in having something like this which can save metric data over time and then those values can be retrieved. Perhaps it wouldn’t be all the values, perhaps a specified subset. Any chance your data logged has this fx or could possibly in the future?
Calbiker has his device writing to a CSV file on an SD card, logging every few (five?) seconds.
The K-line is capable of running faster, but there appears to be a bottleneck somewhere in the card write. Then he pulls the card and reads the file in a spreadsheet program.

The display shield in mine has a touch screen and a micro-SD slot, but I haven’t used these yet.
The SD card is located under the display so is a bit awkward to reach, even if I added a slot to the case... some sort of carrier would be required (much like an iPhone sim card?)
Perhaps easier to unscrew the lid and pop the card out?

-dave

Nautamaran

Thanks for offering this, what a great tool! I am totally in!

Are you looking at rolling out before or after adding this reading/clearing code function, and is there any plan for other future upgrades (I assume available through re-flashing the arduino?)
I’m putting a few together now as-is.
There is a fair amount of code to write to get the touchscreen interface going, and to be clear this is a personal hobby item, not a commercial pursuit. (My wife is very tolerant :rolleyes:)

As MWD said, a reflash is straightforward using the Arduino IDE, or maybe you could send it back to me to share in any future upgrades (though that might be a bit arduous with border crossings)

-dave

Top Bottom