Roof/Wall Mounting Strength and Loads

CIVEO

Looking for suggestions or previous analysis on accommodating heavier loads in the upper areas (walls/ceiling) of the van, similar in footprint to the upper cabinets many have made and installed. Thanks in advance.

red_johnny

Kind of interested in this myself. I have been looking a lot lately at different systems but I think I am going to mount MDF directly to the ribs for the shelf I plan on making on both DS and PS (think grayhound bus overhead storage). I am going to do the same across the back. Above and behind the back seat (depending on where the rib is). I figure, 2 bolts on the side rib and 2 bolts on the top rib all on the same piece of MDF.

sprint2freedom

2008 NCV3 170ext
My only suggestion is not doing this; observe how many people elect to remove their roof A/C unit because of the additional weight up high. A higher center of gravity changes how the van handles negatively.

grantwilson

FreedomVanGo
My only suggestion is not doing this; observe how many people elect to remove their roof A/C unit because of the additional weight up high. A higher center of gravity changes how the van handles negatively.
lets start with no
People remove it because it leaks. all the time

And adventure wagon is the best off the shelf structural solution.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Looking for suggestions or previous analysis on accommodating heavier loads in the upper areas (walls/ceiling) of the van, similar in footprint to the upper cabinets many have made and installed. Thanks in advance.
I just created a new thread in the VS30 Database section containing the MB Body and Equipment Guide (and addenda).:
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79622

The BEG contains loading restrictions and center of gravity calculation aids.

--dick

grantwilson

FreedomVanGo
Imaginings, or do you know of actual accounts of VS30 Passenger Vans leaking?
The entire previous generation did,which he was referring to, since I dont think anyone has, or actually will remove the rooftop ac for weight.....on vs30 yet anyways. Im sure there is some weirdo that did it on a ncv3

hein

Van Guru
Kind of interested in this myself. I have been looking a lot lately at different systems but I think I am going to mount MDF directly to the ribs for the shelf I plan on making on both DS and PS (think grayhound bus overhead storage). I am going to do the same across the back. Above and behind the back seat (depending on where the rib is). I figure, 2 bolts on the side rib and 2 bolts on the top rib all on the same piece of MDF.
A bit off topic but I would not use MDF anywhere in a vehicle. MDF absorbs moisture like a sponge. Take a look at expanded PVC instead.

I grew up in MHK so happy to help someone in Fort Riley.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan
541 490 5098

Top Bottom