2016 Sprinter rusting

Drifter76

Hi guys, anyone else having issues with rust on 2016's and newer Sprinters? Mine started to get those flowers of rust on the side panels. The rust it's coming from inside out pushing the paint . I checked with a couple dealers and called the corporate. They are saying that it exterior influence. " Stone chips from driving on highway ". My front hood has a few stone chips but no rust. They declined the repairs

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Hi guys, anyone else having issues with rust on 2016's and newer Sprinters? Mine started to get those flowers of rust on the side panels. The rust it's coming from inside out pushing the paint . I checked with a couple dealers and called the corporate. They are saying that it exterior influence. " Stone chips from driving on highway ". My front hood has a few stone chips but no rust. They declined the repairs

Pictures please....

...also, the hood is galvanized metal and won't 'rust' or like the rest of the body that isn't.

Drifter76

I also checked with couple different body shops (not Mercedes) and they told me that this is the common problem with most of the Sprinters. Rusting from inside out. "Stone chips " from driving on highways usually hit the cars sideways leaving, maybe, scratches. Mercedes knows about the rust issues but they don't want to deal with ,giving people fabricated reasons "exterior influence ". They don't want to take the responsibility for their crap . Shame

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
I also checked with couple different body shops (not Mercedes) and they told me that this is the common problem with most of the Sprinters. Rusting from inside out. "Stone chips " from driving on highways usually hit the cars sideways leaving, maybe, scratches. Mercedes knows about the rust issues but they don't want to deal with ,giving people fabricated reasons "exterior influence ". They don't want to take the responsibility for their crap . Shame

Sprinter don't die from rusting.

Paint chips caused by stones don't cause 'rusting from inside out' verbatim. Also, you may have tiny metal dust that has gotten into the paint and these start the process too.

Chips that expose the metal cause rust to form. The rust spreads under the paint. This rust is on the surface of the metal.

Here is what you need to do...

...purchase a quality automotive acrylic enamel single-stage paint that matches your colour. Using a dremel tool grind off all the paint and rust. Apply 2-3 coats of paint. Go watch some Netfix.

Lastly, each springtime inspect the van for paint chips and do the touch-ups. Any other time you notice the 'spider-webs' forming do the same.

My 11 year old van has ~30-40 of these repairs and some originating 7-8 years ago. None have ever reformed rust.

Last edited:

Top Bottom