Alternative house battery locations?

Mikolia69

Once in a while you get shown the light....
Anyone put their house battery somewhere else besides under the bed? Where and how is it working for you?

I ask because I upgraded to a 200 ah battery and it weighs a ton. I was able to make a plank ramp to get it installed, but after 8 mos the battery is shot and I have to get a new one. I can’t figure out where else I can put the battery that would make it easier to test/replace/etc.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Why not replace with two 100 Ah batteries wired in parallel?

Would be so much easier to install!

Keith.

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
Anyone put their house battery somewhere else besides under the bed? Where and how is it working for you?

I ask because I upgraded to a 200 ah battery and it weighs a ton. I was able to make a plank ramp to get it installed, but after 8 mos the battery is shot and I have to get a new one. I can’t figure out where else I can put the battery that would make it easier to test/replace/etc.
Wondering why the battery has failed after only 8 months?

Brian

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
Since its a Renogy,....guessing its Lithium Ion or Lithium Iron Phosphate? Thinking that would be a fairly light battery

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
I placed an 8D AGM 255 amp-hr between the driver side rear wheel well and the back doors on a 144" WB. Had to elevate it about 3" as I recall. Weight is not important IMO because I just slid it on the floor. Battery lasted 9 years because it was always properly charged with a 3 stage charger. Every 9 years I can get someone to help lift it into the van. Single battery reduces the cabling required.

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
I placed an 8D AGM 255 amp-hr between the driver side rear wheel well and the back doors on a 144" WB. Had to elevate it about 3" as I recall. Weight is not important IMO because I just slid it on the floor. Battery lasted 9 years because it was always properly charged with a 3 stage charger. Every 9 years I can get someone to help lift it into the van. Single battery reduces the cabling required.
Dave, a couple questions,...is this on a Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser RV (which we have been talking about),....and can you tell us what a 3 stage charger is please.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
A 3-stage charger knows how to do "bulk", "float" and "equalization" charge levels, depending upon state of the battery.
One is "constant current", another is "constant voltage" and i forget how the 3rd is implemented.
(possibly "constant voltage but limited current")

Visit http://www.batteryfaq.org/ and choose the first "FAQ" section for detailed descriptions of what those are.

--dick
p.s. there's also a "desulferization" process, but that's only when they're slightly sick

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Dave, a couple questions,...is this on a Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser RV (which we have been talking about),....and can you tell us what a 3 stage charger is please.
Sorry I missed that this was in the Gulf Stream Vista section. That is in small print.

3 stage charger is bulk, absorb and float. Bulk is full amperage, absorb is progressively lower amperage as voltage increases. A proper charge profile that matches your battery design will extend the life of the battery. Direct connecting the house battery to the vehicle battery does not provide a proper charge profile. Two batteries connected together for charging should be same size, brand, type and even the same mfg. date.

Kuchman

I thought I'd hijack this thread since it's related to what I was hoping to learn. My starter battery is located in the cabin, but there is a large space in the engine compartment that I understand is where some NCV3 batteries are located. It looks lie a great location to put a small house battery (we only plan on running lights and a stereo from time to time). However the ECU/ECM is right there. Are there any issues with mounting the battery directly over top of the ECU? I was thinking of moving the ECU and mounting it sideways, but a quick Google search indicated ECU for some other vehicles should only be mounted level, so I doubt it it's a good idea to do so in this case. Can someone please confirm this?

2013 Crew 3.0L V6

erik.wahlstrom

I thought I'd hijack this thread since it's related to what I was hoping to learn. My starter battery is located in the cabin, but there is a large space in the engine compartment that I understand is where some NCV3 batteries are located. It looks lie a great location to put a small house battery (we only plan on running lights and a stereo from time to time). However the ECU/ECM is right there. Are there any issues with mounting the battery directly over top of the ECU? I was thinking of moving the ECU and mounting it sideways, but a quick Google search indicated ECU for some other vehicles should only be mounted level, so I doubt it it's a good idea to do so in this case. Can someone please confirm this?

2013 Crew 3.0L V6
Adventure Wagon has a kit for this. Battery Tray w/Wiring Bundle with an ECU relocation bracket.

Kuchman

Adventure Wagon has a kit for this. Battery Tray w/Wiring Bundle with an ECU relocation bracket.
Man that's a spendy item! Why do all companies assume that because you own a Sprinter, you're rich??? I think will try to do something else. I've seen a few on Amazon that look like I can get them to work. But judging by the instructions and pictures of that kit, it does not appear there is any issue with mounting the ECU sideways. Thanks for the info!

erik.wahlstrom

Man that's a spendy item! Why do all companies assume that because you own a Sprinter, you're rich??? I think will try to do something else. I've seen a few on Amazon that look like I can get them to work. But judging by the instructions and pictures of that kit, it does not appear there is any issue with mounting the ECU sideways. Thanks for the info!
Turns out they have the tray w/o the wiring harnesses for a lot less. Look at the electrical section on their site

• Thanks
Reactions: rik

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser

2013 Crew 3.0L V6
Kuchman, FYI you posted your question in a forum for T1N Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser Motor homes. Glad to see you got an answer to your question, but in the future, please direct your questions to an appropriate category/forum/thread otherwise,....it sends the thread and question posed by the original poster off in a new direction. No response necessary here (it just continues the off topic content)

Top Bottom