Sprinter Bike Rack for 5 Bikes

turbobrick+

from my previous van I have a bike rack that attaches to a 2in trailer hitch. We recently "upgraded" to a Sprinter. Currently we don't have a trailer hitch but it's actually nice to have and I don't want to necessarily get rid of it. So I am wondering about alternative ideas.
One idea I have, is to mount a bike rack on the rear door - 3 bikes on the bottom, 2 bikes above. I saw a bike rack on a Ford Transit that mounts the bike rack on the rear door (although only for two bikes).
So, my question - does something like that exist (where to get it from) or (I guess that should have been my first question) can the door support that weight?
Est. one bike at 30 lb, so that's 150 lb plus whatever the rack weights

Any other ideas how to get 5 bikes nicely stored on the rear?

thanks for any input!

Last edited:

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
I've made my own using modified bike wall hanging/storage hooks. I've been meaning to do a bit of a writeup but I'm not sure if many people would be keen.

Mine carries 6 full size mountain bikes.
Allows both doors to open (but should be avoided with 50kg hanging off each lol)
Allows both doors to still open 270° when not in use.
Keeps bikes out of the airflow.
Keeps bikes up higher than most cars in case of rear-ender.
Keeps the length behind the rear axle within local laws.

Last edited:

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
from my previous van I have a bike rack that attaches to a 2in trailer hitch. We recently "upgraded" to a Sprinter. Currently we don't have a trailer hitch but it's actually nice to have and I don't want to necessarily get rid of it. So I am wondering about alternative ideas.
One idea I have, is to mount a bike rack on the rear door - 3 bikes on the bottom, 2 bikes above. I saw a bike rack on a Ford Transit that mounts the bike rack on the rear door (although only for two bikes).
So, my question - does something like that exist (where to get it from) or (I guess that should have been my first question) can the door support that weight?
Est. one bike at 30 lb, so that's 150 lb plus whatever the rack weights

Any other ideas how to get 5 bikes nicely stored on the rear?

thanks for any input!
Get a hitch and either a North Shore NSR 6 or a Yakima HangOver (or similar). The only secure way I've seen to easily carry 4+ bikes. Not a fan of those racks that hang on doors, not for any particular reason other than those doors weren't meant to carry loads like that. Putting a bike on the roof sounds like a great way to dent the side of the van in the process.

The north shore or yakima setup is easy to remove and will have good resale if you go to sell it. Just my thoughts....

430 hp 70

'19 144 Gas Passenger - Carlsbad
Any other options or reviews? Looking at getting a hangover 6 but haven't seen many reviews on it. We don't even have our sprinter yet, but I can still use it with both of our other vehicles.

HarryN

It seems like since 5 bikes means 5 people, plus other stuff, maybe its time for a trailer.

DrRemulak

another vote for Recon. I have the 4 bike 'gen 2' version, its built like a brick **** house, super sturdy. I have it on a (gasp) Promaster and its adjustable to tune to different door opening dimensions. Bonus is fits both road and mtn. I think that may have been an issue with North Shore IIRC.

alexk243

KulAdventure
Any other options or reviews? Looking at getting a hangover 6 but haven't seen many reviews on it. We don't even have our sprinter yet, but I can still use it with both of our other vehicles.
I have been pretty happy with the Yakima hangover 6 (amazon link, but I got mine on sale at REI). I had struggled with how to carry that many bikes and this worked great for me. Honestly though NSR or Recon also seem really good. Just didn't like the way the Recon held the wheels. I would have gone with the NSR too, but the Yakima was cheaper and I was able to get it in time for my trip.

I am able to access the rear doors when the rack is folded down using the foot pedal. Keep in mind it is very heavy, even with no bikes on it. So trying to fold it down with 6 bikes on it and the weight of the rack can be a lot, but I would assume that it would be no different from the NSR or Recon. Not sure if the NSR can fold away to allow access to the rear doors, which is huge for me.

Here is a link to the review I did on the Yakima Hangover 6 that I bought.

tegan_ca

Build Planning
This thread helped lead me to Alta Rack which I purchased. Dropping a response so I can find this later for thoughts.
Alta is supposed to clear tire carrier and comes with six baskets. All wheel/rubber mounting points. Think I might need an anti theft solution but I'll worry about that when I get it mounted

sprinterPaul

I have a Rack Attach (like the kuat pivot) and I have an. Alta 6. Typically only carry 4-5 bikes.

It clears my owl tire carrier. Alta six also makes an extender that will provide access to rear doors. With no swing away option.

I really like the ground clearance of that rack.

A2DD7239-E563-4A64-B89B-293172438E54.jpeg

jphrum

Following this thread after we just wrapped up a 1500 mile trip with a 4 bike Thule tray and swing arm, didn’t love that set up and now looking at Alta and Recon. I need to mount a 29er long travel bike along with my kids 20 inch. Alta says they can accommodate the kids bike, but anyone have real world experience putting a large frame 29 on with a kids 20 inch?

jphrum

That’s exactly my quiver in sizes. Any issues with clearance? Both vertically and then how is it to get into the rear doors? Could always add an extension/riser I suppose.

nickbokhoven

No b problem with clearances in how we use it. I can get the back doors open about 30 degrees if the rack is up. The rack has two positions ittips back. It also goes all the way down, turning into a good storage. Then there is full access to the back. Slide out trays work with it.
The Alta rack does offer more clearance to get your doors open with the bikes upright but doesn’t store as in the garage and costs more. A couple of more pictures

Attachments

nickbokhoven

I just realized the third picture makes it look like the doors don’t clear the system. However that’s not true the doors clear the upright arm when it is down

Top Bottom