Transfer Case Fluid

mr.mcvay

ATF 236.14 or 75/90 Gear Oil?

Is it me or is this info not in the manual? There was a mention that someone found the info on the Oberaigner website, I wasn't able to, and they claim gear oil...

Thanks

Claude15

2015, the spec is not in my manual, it is gear oil, see your dealer for the spec. (can’t remember)
Talked with Service Advisor a week before appointment for B service including changing fluid in front diff and transfer case. He assured me everything would be in stock and ready for the service.
During the service, they informed me they did not have the gear oil (shipped in next day) and also did not have the sealing washer for the transfer case. (7 days from Germany) Found an aluminum washer at the local Mazda dealer for them (exact match), and was on my way. (they did have the washer for the front diff)

mrmcvay, Surely you jest! haha

You are far from alone. I believe there is a setting that can delete postings from a specific member showing up on your screen. I have been tempted many times, but realize any calling him out would result in nothing changing. Meanwhile, we can ignore his useless input as each of us sees fit. No use poking the bear.

mr.mcvay

Thanks Claude for your sincerity and enthusiasm, but, your reply is useless. 1) What ****ing day did I post my question? 2) Know many service departments/parts counters open today? 3) Man you have to get tired of wading through internet bull**** to get to a should be easy answer for maintaining your rig? 4) So glad to hear you DIY'd the **** out finding those washers - nice job.

Claude15

Sorry, didn’t realize you needed the fluid right away.
Just trying to give you (and maybe others) a heads up on the dealer not being up to speed with the 4wd model.

Sprinter SS

Please note front diff is 75/90w hypoid but not with limited slip modifier ( like Mobil 1). You have to use MB 235.8 spec, which is not super easy to find. Mobil Delvac 1 synthetic is available here stateside, but not much else on the Bevo list is.

Flagster

Please note front diff is 75/90w hypoid but not with limited slip modifier ( like Mobil 1). You have to use MB 235.8 spec, which is not super easy to find. Mobil Delvac 1 synthetic is available here stateside, but not much else on the Bevo list is.
Amsoil meets this specification but not on Bevo list:idunno:

Sprinter SS

I found three of the products on the BEVO list source able here stateside. Only the Delvac in stock in liters, did not need a 5 liter jug.

Not surprisingly dealers are somewhat not up on these details.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
For the diffs - Redline 75W90 GL-5 GEAR OIL meets MB235.8
It doesn't technically "meet" the standard as Redline is not going to show up on an approval list. They're saying they built it to meet the standard. It's a bit of false marketing on their part.

That said - I love me some redline diff and trans fluid. It's what I'll be switching to when that time comes.

CactusJackSlade

How did differential lube talk get into this TRANSFER CASE FLUID thread?... this could be extremely confusing and damaging if the wrong lube is used in the transfer case vs the differential!

CactusJackSlade

OK, back on transfer case fluid... I did the drain and fill, 1 QT ATF (NOT gear oil) I chose to use 100% syn Amsoil.

EZ-PEEZY:

1) Snip the two zip ties that hold the end of the solenoid electrical plug and remove, set aside.
2) Remove (14 mm hex) fill plug.
3) Remove drain plug (3/4" or 19mm socket) - do not lose the washer if you plan to use it again.
4) Clean the metal filings off of the drain plug magnet.
5) After complete drain, re-install drain plug, preferably with a with new washer.
6) Fill through fill plug hole until the fluid (ATF in my case) starts to run out.
7) Re-install 14 mm fill plug. I chose to add some Loctite to the threads of mine.

I used 100% Amsoil synthetic ATF fluid. It took very slightly over 1 quart.

I hope these photos are useful.

Cheers!

Attachments

Last edited:

Flagster

Just changed our Transfer case for the second time at 68K miles. Took a bit less than a quart. No metal on magnet. First change was at 40K... MBZ ATF/236.14
I was able to get fill bolt off with extension and did not disturb electrical connector...

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
A good alternative ATF, not gear oil for a differential ( to reiterate this is a TRANSFER CASE thread), to Mercedes’ 236.14 is Valvoline Maxlife. No, it’s not on the certified Mercedes list, but we’ve been using it for years and hundreds of thousands of miles on many different Mercedes’ 722.6 transmissions which require the same fluid designation… it’s about 1/4 the cost, not that a quart of the real stuff is going to break the bank..

CactusJackSlade

Just changed our Transfer case for the second time at 68K miles. Took a bit less than a quart. No metal on magnet. First change was at 40K... MBZ ATF/236.14
I was able to get fill bolt off with extension and did not disturb electrical connector...
I just did my second fluid change with Amsoil 100% synthetic ATF at 84K miles - This time I did not remove the electrical connection. (it IS a PITA!) It's tight, but if you have a long enough 14mm hex it's very do-able - thanks for the tip!

Top Bottom