MAF

99sport

I think the recent Xentry clones can do everything needed when the van left the factory. If you keep your van out of the hands of the dealer and their recalls I do not think you would need any functionality not in the Xentry clone. If you already had the recall, an aftermarket tune (if they still exist) would undo the changes the recall implemented.

Edit: As is well documented on this forum, the clones cannot add certain features to the van - ie cruise control or new keyless entry keys.

Last edited:

Forest

Thanks.

That explains it for me. And gives another reason to leave things as is unless forced into it.

:cheers: vic
So, are you saying to leave the light on? I don't mind doing that. I can clear it on long legs and it won't come on until restart.

I was hoping to keep this van for the rest of my life, but now I'm hoping I die in a horrible crash so I don't have to deal with all of the inevitable "dealership-only" problems that come along.

Although I commiserate it's not quite that dire for me.

Forest

So, are you saying to leave the light on? I don't mind doing that. I can clear it on long legs and it won't come on until restart.

I was hoping to keep this van for the rest of my life, but now I'm hoping I die in a horrible crash so I don't have to deal with all of the inevitable "dealership-only" problems that come along.

Although I commiserate it's not quite that dire for me.

Forest

UPDATE:
OK, I finally had the time (and inclination) to take it to the Dodge dealership. They went through all of the same diagnostics that Vanski did and even put a known MAF in. Still no joy. So they deemed the MAF I put in to be good and recommend a new ECU. They couldn't come up with availability or price for the ECU but said it would be $250 to install it. I didn't have a ride so I drove it home. Now I understand that a new eco must be programed by the dealer. So I am still dealing with this.

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
Forest, yes, a new ECM will do it as it will have to go through a reinitialization/parameterization MAF process on its own. The ECM from the dealer may be expensive! If you go that route, compared to having a MERCEDES dealer do a reinitialization/parameterization with the appropriate scanner of the MAF settings on your current ecm, I would go with SOS diagnostics as it will be 1/2 the cost of less. And doing a swap of the ECM itself is easy. You can do that on your own.

Edit.. SOS should also be able to do the MAF reinitialization as well...

Last edited:

My comment wasn't clear. I was referring to that wonderfully engineered and implemented T21 Recall.

... and trying four different MAFs I called Doktor A and was informed that the T21 recall implemented MAF initialization.
Thanks.

That explains it for me. And gives another reason to leave [T21 recall] things as is unless forced into it.

... parameterization with the appropriate scanner of the MAF settings on your current ecm, I would go with SOS diagnostics as it will be 1/2 the cost of less. And doing a swap of the ECM itself is easy. You can do that on your own.

+1 on checking with SOS FWIW.

Last edited:

Axiom

Mike from Florida Van Man
I needed a MAF Initialization. After extensive troubleshooting, back probing the ECM connector and verifying all the signals with an oscilloscope, and trying four different MAFs I called Doktor A and was informed that the T21 recall implemented MAF initialization.
That explains why the ECM I "accidentally" updated with the Xentry had an always on MAF Code (P2624 I believe?). Did Doktor A explain how to do this or just said it's an updated DAS feature? I removed the updated ECU from the van but if I could put it back I probably would, since it came with it.

I've fixed a few vans with "EGR valve stuck at 6%" just simply by resetting the intake adaptives system (and driving) through the DAS but that wasn't enough to clear the permanent MAF code on my updated ECU.

One thing swapping the ECU did in addition to making the code go away was also put my governor back at 82, before I was almost able to hit 90 on a straightaway with little effort. The Xentry doesn't let me set it at 82 though, only at 81. Go figure.

In fact, the only thing I can't do with my Xentry clone is get into the "Developer only area". It tempts me, I know what lies ahead: in depth maps of values waiting to be tinkered with. I could have a lot of fun messing with those but a password keeps me from getting in.

If you're swapping your ECM with another van you'll have to swap the SKREEM too behind the instrument cluster otherwise you'll get a start error. Marrying the ECM & Skreem is a dealer level function only as far as I know. But neither parts are very difficult to get to.

Cheers and good luck with your MAF problems, once you switch your ECU back I wouldn't get it updated again.

Last edited:

Forest

Forest, yes, a new ECM will do it as it will have to go through a reinitialization/parameterization MAF process on its own. The ECM from the dealer may be expensive! If you go that route, compared to having a MERCEDES dealer do a reinitialization/parameterization with the appropriate scanner of the MAF settings on your current ecm, I would go with SOS diagnostics as it will be 1/2 the cost of less. And doing a swap of the ECM itself is easy. You can do that on your own.

Vanski, would you be willing to help me with this?

vanski

Yes, Forest, if you use SOS you will need to send them: your ecm (assuming you want to fix the ecm compared to get a reman from them), your screem, your key. Either way you’ll need to send them screem and key.

vanski

Vanski, would you be willing to help me with this?
Yes, but I’m heading out on a snowfari through 2/5 and can’t have vehicles on my property for the next 4 months minimum because we’re going through a home remodel and my limited driveway space is being used. When I get back I can swing by on my way to Kirkwood and remove the ecm and screem.

Forest

Yes, Forest, if you use SOS you will need to send them: your ecm (assuming you want to fix the ecm compared to get a reman from them), your screem, your key. Either way you’ll need to send them screem and key.
Could you please provide a link. I can't seem to find the website

99sport

Did Doktor A explain how to do this or just said it's an updated DAS feature? I removed the updated ECU from the van but if I could put it back I probably would, since it came with it.
Dr A said the Dodge dealer will need a "virtual DRB iii" as the original DRB iii can't do MAF initialization. I haven't looked to see if my Xentry clone (May 2019) can do this.

Personally I think taking a 15 year old vehicle (or any vehicle actually) to the dealer is crazy. SOS can fix this at a small fraction of the price a dealer would charge.

vanski

I haven't looked to see if my Xentry clone (May 2019) can do this.
Please investigate.. if yes, it may make sense for me to sell my plain Jane c3 and get one with Xentry as I’ve been limited many times :thumbup:

Personally I think taking a 15 year old vehicle (or any vehicle actually) to the dealer is crazy. SOS can fix this at a small fraction of the price a dealer would charge.
Agreed, but there are some dealers/techs out there who are good, should be able to figure it out quickly, and hopefully charge you by the hour making the cost reasonable. Trick is.. finding that tech!

Forest

Well I went to move the rig today to do a little work and the MAF light stayed off...... unreal!! I started it a few times and so far, so good.

jrod5150

Well I went to move the rig today to do a little work and the MAF light stayed off...... unreal!! I started it a few times and so far, so good.
Just read this thread, if you still need help with this I have the experience and proper tooling to fix it. You do not need a new ecm. Save your money.

Forest

Just read this thread, if you still need help with this I have the experience and proper tooling to fix it. You do not need a new ecm. Save your money.
Where are you located. The light is off now ( after a few months)
but If it comes back on I would be interested.

jrod5150

I’m in Van Nuys. Just let me know if you need assistance. It shouldn’t take long so You won’t need to leave the van. I’ve dealt with this on a few of my vans and client vans. If I can’t fix it there’s no charge. I only charge when I fix problems. IMO It’s not a customers responsibility to pay for diagnostic learning time if the tech cant come up with a fix or solution. Replacing the ecm would be the nuclear option. total over kill for this issue.

Last edited:

Forest

I’m in Van Nuys. Just let me know if you need assistance. It shouldn’t take long so You won’t need to leave the van. I’ve dealt with this on a few of my vans and client vans. If I can’t fix it there’s no charge. I only charge when I fix problems. IMO It’s not a customers responsibility to pay for diagnostic learning time if the tech cant come up with a fix or solution. Replacing the ecm would be the nuclear option. total over kill for this issue.

Very Cool, Thank you! I do get to SoCal now and then. I am in the Sierra Foothills by Placerville. Like I said, The light is off for now. If it comes back on I will contact you. Could you please text your name and # to 209-304-6731.

Top Bottom