Rust Repair

spencer877

So I got this van for a pretty sweet deal but it has some rust. I think the rust scared a lot of potential buyers off due to the high cost of paying a welder to fix (100hr). Lucky for me I am a welder, just haven't done any body work projects yet. The repair thats needed is around the windshield, I figured I was going to have to have to pop the windshield and the hood off just to make access to the rust damage. Has anyone done this project / or something similar? Anything I should know about taking the windshield off? Any and All Tips and Tricks appreciated.

Attachments

It would be the same as removing any automotive windshield. You can find tools to help if you google, but I'd probably just pay a glass shop to do it, probably won't take 30 minutes and you can talk to them about the welding job/ make sure they're going to be able to put the new one back in when you're ready.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
There are a couple repair writeups floating about the forum.

One option is to find a donor, then cut out the sections you need, and flush weld them in. You will have several good sized holes I think. It may be expedient to section and remove the entire lower section of the window frame, and weld a complete replacement patch in. I am not sure if anyone sells a replacement panel/patch new for the area, so you may need to source one from a parts vehicle.

Another option by a user here, was to use kittyhair fillter (metal type). Not as long lasting, but if your holes are small enough.

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder
... Has anyone done this project / or something similar? Anything I should know about taking the windshield off? Any and All Tips and Tricks appreciated.
Your rust looks worse than my 2004 did, but I never took a pick hammer to it.

My repair might buy some time if you want. I didn't remove the windshield. Repaired Fall 2012. The 2004 is still working fine. No problems. No leaks.

Windshield Rust Hack Job
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36676

:cheers: vic

Top Bottom