Video in Sprinter

Hi All,
I just fisnished round one of my Sprinter improvements on my quest to create the ultimate family hauler - not to be confuse with an executive limo. Anyway, I've added a video DVD system for the back seats. We decided that the first row was too close to see the 20 inch screen mounted to the cieling so I had the DVD player in the headrest of the front passenger screen. This let the kids in the back of the vehicle control their own entertainment. I also put a monitor only headrest on the drivers seat. The system turned out great works just as planned. Audio is sent from the 20 inch drop down on the cieling through infrared and that works all the way to the back doors of the van. I also ran inputs for a wii game system to the floor near the back of the passenger seat so the kids could play games through the system as well, but I still have not tried this yet. The monitor is from XO Vision and the headrest monitors are from Artics. The installation was done by Premier Sound and Security in Albuquerque, which used to be part of the local Baillios Electronics store but are now independant. They also put in a new NAV/XM/Bluetooth/backup camera radio and a security system to protect all these goodies - but more all that in the next post. here are pictures of the rear entertainment system:
video screen.jpg
Back seat view of screens

headrest DVD.jpg
Headrest DVD Player acts as source for all screens

head rest cover.jpg
When the system is not is use there are covers to cover the headrests and the 20 inch screen folds up and out of the way.

In the next post I will show the dash system I put in.

-Jay

Part 2 as promised. I replaced the Sound 20 radio with an Eclipse 726E after several weeks of research and reading reviews of systems from Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, and others. I went with Eclipse because it had all the contemporary features and owners raved about them online. After a few days with the system I am very happy with my choice. I was able to integrate steering wheel controls and add XM Radio. The screen has an input from the lights so it automatically changes to night mode when the lights kick on. The nav speaks in a variety of languages and voices and all runs off of an internal 2GB ROM. Bluetooth connected the first time and was clear as a bell. overall everything worked as advertised. Here are some pictures of the installed deck:
Eclipse 726E.jpg

xm radio.jpg

Nav screen.jpg

I'll keep you informed as I use this over the next weeks and months.
-Jay

"I was able to integrate steering wheel controls " please tell us how you did this?
I wish I could, but honestly I paid the installer to solve this for me. I know it took two devices: the steering wheel module for the Eclipse deck and a CANbus Interface to interpret the serial signals coming off of the steering contols. I may be mis-speaking that but I believe that's how they explained it to me.
-Jay

Today the kids finally got to try playing the wii in the sprinter and that worked well:
DSC_9553_4198-900.jpg

I am going top reconfigure the cabling so it is hidden under the passenger seat. The way it is, I worry they will get stepped on
DSC_9557_4202-900.jpg

Under the passenger seat right now is a video and audio switcher that selects between wii, DVD in the headrest, and the DVD in the Eclipse in the dash.
DSC_9560_4205-900.jpg

In any case the kids find it a great way to pass the time:
DSC_9552_4197-900.jpg

-Jay

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Isn't the WII that game that had people were tossing their control hardware into their televisions?

Jay

You're almost halfway toward filling all those Sprinter seats...:lol: :clapping:

That a nice!!! setup.

gary
I've got #7 coming in february. It's what made us get the Sprinter in the first place. I've told my wife that we do not need to fill the last 3 seats.
-Jay

Last edited:

SYCO GT

Awesome pics and detailed write up Jay. Thanks!

Are you running the factory second battery? Or did you add another battery and isolator?

I have been planning out my system recently...Something similar in terms of headrest monitors, back up camera, nav. Maybe the Kenwood Head Unit.

Since I contracted a professional shop to do this work I cannot say for sure but I believe they tapped into the existing 12V lines used for accessories already in the floor. None of this equipment requires much current. Kenwood was my second choice for a head unit. – it and the Eclipse had the best reviews for the NAV system and accuracy of maps and POI data. I went with Eclipse mostly because it seemed to use and offer the latest technology as far as media types, codecs, interfaces. I also liked that the GPS data was in Flash RAM. I need to stop at the shop next week for a firmware update to the XM-Direct tuner and can ask them where they tapped into the power and will post what I find out.
-Jay

clark

Hey Jay, Is this video unit (xo 20 inch flip down) still working well for you? I'm thinking of using the same one. How's the picture?

Clark

Mike Horton

Thanks for bumping this post. I missed it before. Awesome installation, beautiful family. The "good stuff" for sure!:thumbup:

I read on the Eclipse website that nav controls are disabled while the vehicle is running, so even the passenger couldn't change the destination...etc. Have you found that to be true? I've got a standalone Garmin and I'd hate to lose the ability to "change on the fly" Do you drive the rear video panels with the Eclipse DVD? Their site states that feature is also locked down when moving...I wasn't sure if this was CYA text on their site or reality.

qualityair

'09 144" Cargo
I read on the Eclipse website that nav controls are disabled while the vehicle is running, so even the passenger couldn't change the destination...etc. Have you found that to be true? I've got a standalone Garmin and I'd hate to lose the ability to "change on the fly" Do you drive the rear video panels with the Eclipse DVD? Their site states that feature is also locked down when moving...I wasn't sure if this was CYA text on their site or reality.
There is a simple work around for this SAFETY:thumbup: feature. If you google the feature, you'll find it.:thinking:

Top Bottom