Rearview Camera for the 2019 MB Chassis

stormpeakco

'19 M-B/'19 LTV U-TB
Gonna give this slip on mount, wireless camera w/ built in transmitter, 5" monitor w/ built-in receiver set up a whirl.
(Camera will be attached to the mast of the WP spare tire carrier with 'U' bolt hardware for full time rear viewing through the center of the mounted spare wheel hub for monitoring traffic to the rear and the racked bicycles - power from 4-way trailer harness. Vulnerable to theft, the spare tire cover will be re-placed to help obscure it from roving eyes VS. loosening the fastening nuts holding the slip in mount and placing the camera inside the coach/portable to be used on another vehicle).

https://www.tadibrothers.com/products/3.5-monitor-with-built-in-wireless-slip-on-backup-camera
BTW-extremely attentive, non-commission compensated personnel on line 'n phone for Q 'n A (multiple times).

Last edited:

TJLee089

2013 Itasca Reyo 25R
There are wireless rear view cameras with fairly simple installation. In my first RV (used 2010 Winnebago ERA), I installed a Garmin GPS with one; don't remember the model. The camera power was tied into the backup light. No other wiring. It worked well.

Here's the rear view camera. I ordered it from CampingWorld and had them install it when they were running a "we install anything for $59" deal:

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safety-solutions/backup-camera-systems/wired-backup-camera-systems/backup-camera-system-with-7-mirror-monitor-no-multiplexer-rvs-776619-nm.html

carolinawrenn

Have a 2014 Unity MB, Kenwood radio, back up camera and two side cameras. Back up camera stopped working and side cameras only work if gear is in "reverse." Anyone with that experience ?
Carolina Wrenn

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
I also have a 2014 with a Kenwood and it sounds like your Connexx camera controller might be bad. Here is a replacement, http://www.rvcams.com/p/15/CVS150-01.html. The Connexx camera switcher is located under the passenger seat. I've not had your issue. My issue has been with the small size if the camera view on the Kenwood. I actually put a Y cable on my Kenwood camera feed so I could display the views on a larger monitor. I have a 10" monitor that shows the rear feed constant and switches to the side cameras when the turn signals are used.

Attachments

Last edited:

Msmoto

As one who is not currently pulling a toad, but finds a rear view camera useful in seeing what is approaching, I have tried the following on my 2019 LTV Unity, built on a 2018 Sprinter chassis.

The standard rear camera can be moved so as to show more rear traffic, but one looses the ability to see down at what one is backing into. No hitch view at all. So, back down it is now aimed so as to see what I am running into.

For me, and I suspect for the new 2019 Sprinter chassis folks, a wireless camera with the monitor replacing the "rear view mirror" is what I am planning on installing. Power for camera from the clearance lights ( I always have my headlights on when driving) and there is power near the "rear view mirror" in the overhead which will do for the monitor.

The question is, how much money does one have to spend to get a good system? I suspect it will cost in the $400-600 range, but will attempt to find something closer to $200-300. Once this is installed, I will get the info back onto this thread so others can comment. Thanks.

DiverBob

2018 Unity TB
For me, and I suspect for the new 2019 Sprinter chassis folks, a wireless camera with the monitor replacing the "rear view mirror" is what I am planning on installing. Power for camera from the clearance lights ( I always have my headlights on when driving) and there is power near the "rear view mirror" in the overhead which will do for the monitor.
I put in a wired rear view camera system, it was fairly easy to wire the monitor (which fits over the rear view mirror) to the 12V chassis power to the overhead console. The video cable was easily routed to the rear of the RV and provides power to the camera also. For a wireless camera getting to a 12v power source at the back of the RV probably means tapping into the power plug for the hitch.
This system has worked very well for me over the last year and a half, very glad I got it. It also makes backing easier along with the installed backup camera as it gives a good overhead perspective. I got mine from RearViewSafety.com for a good price and good technical support for questions.

GTLTV

2020 Unity MB
Has anybody tried to find the video feed from the stock rear camera and feed it to a monitor? I had a car with a factory backup camera that showed up in the rear view mirror, when I got a new stereo I had them wire the stock camera to it, (because it was a bigger screen) and could turn it on at will. Maybe a mirror monitor?

emondeau

Busybob’s Instructions are not applicable to the 2019 Sprinter, they apply only to earlier model years. On the new 2019 903 chassis Sprinter there is no way to display the MBUX rear view camera while driving forward. The display comes on when the van is placed in reverse, and stays on after drive is selected until some other application (e.g. navigation) wants to update the display. You will have to install a separate camera system to monitor a toad.
Has anyone installed the Nav-TV MBUX-RVC to the 2019/2020 Sprinter? This would allow seeing the rear camera while driving forward, also allows the addition of side mirror cameras.

I just contacted Nav-TV and they said they cannot override the auto controls on the rear camera...so this is not an option.

Last edited:

emondeau

Has anybody tried to find the video feed from the stock rear camera and feed it to a monitor? I had a car with a factory backup camera that showed up in the rear view mirror, when I got a new stereo I had them wire the stock camera to it, (because it was a bigger screen) and could turn it on at will. Maybe a mirror monitor?
Have you looked into the Nav-TV MBUX-RVC to the 2019/2020 Sprinter? This would allow seeing the rear camera while driving forward, also allows the addition of side mirror cameras.

I just contacted Nav-TV and they said they cannot override the auto controls on the rear camera...so this is not an option.

Last edited:

bobtuba

2020 LTV Unity MB
I promised a report on my Tadi Bros camera installation, so here it is.
I got a wireless system with high def camera and the clip over the mirror monitor. The monitor looks good, like it belongs there, and installation was relatively easy. The only "problem" was that there was only constant (Kl 30) and not switched (Kl 15) power available up there in the overhead console area. At first I though it would be no problem, I can switch off the monitor with the button on the face of it. But that would leave the receiver powered up constantly and potentially draining battery power. So instead, I installed a small switch on the side of the overhead console that kills power to both the monitor and the receiver. Not as elegant as running a wire down the A pillar to find Kl 15 somewhere, but a lot easier and it suits my purposes.
Now to the camera: The trailer plug was my first choice for power, but it is not switched, and has a "smart" relay that only supplies power to the plug when something is plugged in. So, no. The nearest place I could find switched 12v was the wire that runs out of the drivers seat fuse box (position 24) and goes to the step and the fridge among other places. I was able to isolate that wire between the step and the fridge and I tapped into it there, and ran a wire though the loom to the back end. The camera itself I mounted on the little "shelf" above the LTV emblem at the bottom of the section that is painted darker to look like a rear window.
The FOV is fine, it's high enough, and that position does not interfere with the built-in back up camera. I'm glad I got High Def because it is fuzzy enough as it is. There are no blind zones anymore, happy with the increased safety afforded especially on multi-lane roadways. I found the grids distracting and not very usable so I turned them off.

61193351823__DE7EDA6C-5399-4C48-84B1-DE9ECD87D026.jpeg

Cindyjr

Did you find an answer? Mercedes did away with being able to see behind you going forward in the new 2019 chassis. They said it was a "distraction". I've test drove the Unity twice and it's very hard to see anything around you to change lanes/merge. I really don't want to go to a different brand, but I don't feel safe if I can't see what I need to see when driving.

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
I would imagine if you pull the head unit you could find the rear camera feed, but it might be easier, as Bobtuba above did, to just add another rear view camera. You can get wireless rear view cameras with all sizes and shapes of monitors (https://www.amazon.com/s?k=wireless+rear+view+camera&crid=3J22GDS1NA9XY&sprefix=Wireless+Rear+view+,aps,238&ref=nb_sb_ss_organic-diversity_1_19) or (https://www.tadibrothers.com/catego...V1qkuHTDeHf_Qc3goq4awzTDIM1ARD6hoCWrQQAvD_BwE) or (https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safe...a-systems/wireless-backup-camera-systems.html). They are very easy to install. Side view cameras are also available, https://www.tadibrothers.com/products/7-wireless-side-view-rv-backup-camera-system or https://www.rearviewsafety.com/wireless-side-camera-rvs-dss-1898.html. My 2014 came with rear and side view cameras and I connected the feeds to a 10" monitor that sits on the dash. The rear camera is on all the time unless I use my turn signals and then I get the side view for the turn signal I'm using. I can't say I really need the side view cameras, but they are nice to just glance at as a final check before I change lanes.

Has anybody figured out how to make the vs30 oem camera work while going forward yet?
It looks like a couple of options are appearing in the marketplace. There is one from echomaster that integrates side mirror cameras. A participant in the LTV Facebook group recently had this kit installed and included the ability to bring up camera images on demand. I think what the installer did was mount the echomaster “keypad tester” on the dash. Here’s a link to the product page on their website: https://catalog.echomaster.com/cata.../fctp-mb1903?search_query=Sprinter&results=10. You can pull down the install manual from there. It’s expensive - $700. And figure on a similar amount for labor if you‘rempaying to have it put in.

Similar product from a company named NavTV. I have never heard of them. https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT901/mbux-rvc.html. Same price range As above.

In both cases it is likely less expensive to install a dedicated camera and mirror monitor, or similar. I find the factory rear view camera quite useful for backing, but the field of view is not correct for monitoring a tow car or keeping track of what is going on in the lanes behind the Motorhome. So I am thinking this is a better solution.

bobtuba

2020 LTV Unity MB
One more report about my Tadi Bros camera installation. After some use, I noticed the signal cutting out / flickering especially in more built up areas. They said it could be irregular voltage. I didn’t think so, but to R/O I installed an additional regulator between my 12v source and the camera. It didn’t help. I surmised that a dense signal environment in the 2.4 GHz range was interfering with my signal. So, I built a vinyl box to surround the receiver (above the centre headliner console) open only to the rear (where the transmitter is), and covered it with RF shielding tape. Put the receiver in there, secured the box, and buttoned it up.
Since then, no problems.

Lambrusco

Check your MB Audio 15 Operating Instructions booklet, p. 16. Activating the rear view camera image when driving forwards. Press the Sys button for longer than two seconds, the display will show the rear view image continuously and your towed vehicle.

I have used this feature many times when towing my Jeep.
Are talking about a 2015 or a 2019? We are talking about a night and day difference.....

Top Bottom