Starting Issue with Sprinter bought a couple months ago

SaturnV

I bought a 2006 T1N with 80,000 miles a couple of months ago from Philly and am running into my first issue. Please forgive me as I am new to this vehicle and the forum.

A few weeks ago I went out of town and didn’t run the van for about 2.5 weeks. I came back and noticed it had some trouble starting up and the check engine light was on. I figured this was just due to not running it. I took it for a drive and checked the battery with the ignition off and after running it for a while with Multimeter. Both the battery and alternator seemed fine. After an emissions test, the codes were cleared and I waited to see if the problem persisted.

The check engine light back came on and with the code reader I got the following codes.
(hope I am using the code reader correctly, using the icarsoft MBII)
P0336 : Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance
P0672 : Cylinder 2 Glow Plug Circuit/Open
P0671 :Cylinder 1 Glow Plug Circuit/Open
P0380 :Glow Plug/Heater Circuit A
Also
B1471-001 : Ambient temperature sensor has short circuit to positive or open circuit
541D : wheel speed at 'Left Front Axle' speed sensor is implausible
567D : Faulty version Coding
5154 : signal of the stop light switch is implausible
545D.: wheel speed at 'right Front Axle' speed sensor is implausible

Half the time it struggles to crank but still starts up. The other half it cranks and starts, and then after a few seconds the engine just rumbles and shuts off on its own. The happens over and over as I struggle to eventually start the van.

I looked on the sprinter forum and found that some of the codes were glow plugs and the crankshaft sensor which don't seem to be big a deal. However its seems like all these issues are related and I didn’t get any indication of that on the forum? Is this a serious issue?

Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something before going ahead and ordering parts and giving it a go on my own? Or if its serious enough if I should just bring it down to a proper T1N mechanic?

Heres a link to a video of the problem where it starts but then dies after a few seconds: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18uZmeZGea2DJoHHNozLnKfgxhwA1mXqX/view?usp=sharing

Thanks a bunch for the help.

Last edited:

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
All the circuit codes suggests a wiring harness fray/worn thru issue.
Check wiring harness from battery to engine, especially where is bends around metal

BrennWagon

He’s just this guy, you know?
A bunch of random codes like this could be from bad grounds, shorts in the wiring harness (especially behind the fuel filter) or a variety of other problems. Try clearing the codes and running jumper cables from bare metal on the engine to the negative battery terminal (both wires to block and negative). If it starts right up without producing new codes that’s a sign of a bad engine ground strap. Also, check the wiring for any signs of rodent activity, there’s some of that going around too.

BrennWagon

He’s just this guy, you know?
Million Mile Sprinter has a shop in Germantown if you don’t have any luck and you’re still in Philly. Never met the guy, but I’ve heard very good reports and he stocks wiring harnesses, has the proper Sprinter scanners, and should be the best bet if you chose to have it repaired by someone other than yourself.

Top Bottom