Suggestions for T1N roof racks with pics?

Nubes

Hello, I’ve been looking for a platform type roof rack that would fit a 2006 144 van with a vent.
Seems like Aluminus has the market covered but would love to see what others have going on before I spend that kind of money! Pictures would be much appreciated ?
Thanks Forum ?
:thumbup:

marklg

I used brackets held on by VHB tape and sheet metal screws for my solar panels, sealed with Dicor. For one panel I fabricated supports out of Aluminum angle. If you have the ability to cut and drill Aluminum (hacksaw and drill press or even a hand drill), you could mount a roof rack of your own design, or use brackets in a similar manner to mount a purchased rack.

https://sites.google.com/site/marksrvmods/home/roof-solar-install

I have found Aluminum pretty easy to work with, connecting with Stainless Steel hardware. If you can weld, that's even better. I have a custom antenna mount out of Stainless Steel that someone welded up for me.

If you have fabrication ability and time, you can make exactly what you want. My solar panels had to fit around all the stuff already on the roof.

Regards,

Mark

marklg

I put track mount racks on mine made by proline.

https://www.prolineracks.com/proline-roof-end-track-slats.html

See the attached picture of my solar panels straddling my roof vent.
I had seriously considered the proline racks. They look good. I have too much other stuff on my roof in the way that was installed by the original outfitter to use them however. What hardware do they use for attaching? Sheet metal screws? I would think it might be better to use VHB tape plus screws as I did for my brackets?

It looks like you have wooden supports. What did you make them from? Have you considered Aluminum angle? It is just about as easy to cut and drill as wood. My templates for my solar panel mounts were of birch plywood, but the final installation is Aluminum.

Regards,

Mark

nevanco

They use a self sealing self tapping screw, its got a type of waxy/tarry substance on them that seals the hole as they go in, there's also a VHB type material on the bottom of the rail that creates a tight seal. I really recommend them. It seems a tad scary at first when you're only screwing them down with sheet metal screws, but each one has about a dozen in it, and I've had equipment mounted on mine for a while now and nothing has torn off. I can also pull up as hard as I can on those panels and they don't budge.

I used wood because it's what I had on hand haha. I plan to mcmaster some aluminum square tube, but right now its working and I don't feel like going back on my roof.. Proline also ships adapter kits for just about any other roof racking solution you can think of, the rails up front are going to have a thule box on mine (eventually).

btw I am in no way affiliated with proline, just very happy with the installation so far.

Dylan

derekhski

I don't have a platform mounted, but I use basic Yakima rain gutter mounts and cross bars... (have a few to many, yes) They give me a lot of options... makes for a nice base set up for the Roof Tents and other things.

Do have a small plywood platform on the door side of the roof tent, just easier for going in and out.

The Yankima make work as a useful base for adding a platform to?

Attachments

Sstromerson

Hello, I’ve been looking for a platform type roof rack that would fit a 2006 144 van with a vent.
Seems like Aluminus has the market covered but would love to see what others have going on before I spend that kind of money! Pictures would be much appreciated ?
Thanks Forum ?
:thumbup:
Don't know if you've found a solution but I've got a couple ways to do what you're looking for. Vantech makes a gutter style crossbar system (H1 I think?) for the high top that you could install many different platforms onto or build a custom one.

What I think would be the best option would be to permanently install a track system running the length of the van like the NVC3 vans. I've installed a few Yakima tracks onto T1N sprinters at my work. This would give you the most options to mount anything to the roof because you would just need track/carriage/elevator bolts that slide into the tracks anywhere. You could be as crafty as you want and make a custom platform mounted to the tracks.
Or you could go with some of the manufactured platform options. My favorites being Yakima Lock n Load (new to the states but been around for a while in Australia), Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform, or the Frontrunner Slimline II. All of these options can mount directly to towers that would mount to the roof tracks meaning nice and low profile. They also have T-slots throughout the edges and slats meaning mounting things is very easy.

I have the Frontrunner Slimline II and like it because you can move all of the slats together instead of every other which makes a proper "deck." Sorry I don't have any pictures but I can work on taking a couple.

Nubes

Yes was looking at the Rhino platform but couldn’t get a straight answer if it would fit a 2006 sprinter with rails.
Also was wondering What crossbars would go with it? Thanks again!

rock_fencer

I've used unistrut that I attached using a few bolts that go through the roof and have a washer and a lock nut underneath.
Some crappy pictures I attached - sorry I don't have better ones showing it.

I did something similar with aluminum unistrut (14 gauge) from grainger. We got the shallower depth so its not as visible. Glued it down with VHB tape. Eventually will toss in some bolts but its too cold in Alaska right now for sealer to cure. 90$ for the aluminum, 30$ for the VHB tape. Cross bares will be fabricated from aluminum. The biggest cost is going to be the stainless steel spring nuts but i might just use 1/4 inch aluminum and fabricate square washers to fit the unistrut.

BrennWagon

He’s just this guy, you know?
I made slide nuts for my rails by drilling and tapping through carriage bolts and cutting off the threads. Easy work if you have a drill press, strong, and cost effective.

Sstromerson

Yes was looking at the Rhino platform but couldn’t get a straight answer if it would fit a 2006 sprinter with rails.
Also was wondering What crossbars would go with it? Thanks again!
So with the Rhino Rack their website won't really give a fit option because with the tracks installed it would be a custom job. After the tracks are installed you would just need a set of towers that mount in the tracks and the pioneer platform size of your choice. The pioneer platform will mount directly to their towers or to any set of crossbars you have with their adapter. Their website is kind of difficult to navigate for custom installs (even for someone who knows what they're looking for). But the tower I would recommend for tracks is their RLT600 as it is quick release allowing you to take the entire platform off easily.

eranrund

Where does one get Aluminum unistrut? Is it the same dimensions as steel?
I wish I knew that is an option...

rock_fencer

Grainger. I ordered online. They shipped to alaska distribution center. Still need stainless hardware to avoid galvanic corrosion. Only comes in 10 ft lengths. So ours is cut into a 44 in and 10 ft. Glued with vhb tape. It’s 14 gauge x 1&5/8 by 13/16ths I think or at least that’s what we got because we wanted a lower profile. Cross bars or photovoltaics that go across will need a shim to not touch the center of the roof curve.

T

Attachments

brokengranite

Hold my beer, watch this
Anyone else have recommendations on how to install aluminum extrusion / track slides to the roof of their T1N? I just put a piece of extrusion on top of my 118" to see how it would look and theres a slight curve towards the rear of the van, dont know if I should make some sort of spacers to account for it, or find some different track (1050? Proline?) that might conform better to the roof.

Top Bottom