Suggestions for T1N roof racks with pics?

I would suggest wherever those clamp to the rain gutter, use some red rubber gasket material to isolate the metal clamp from the paint. We have all seen too many racks on vans that rust like crazy.

My rain gutter clamps, 5 on each side, were lined with this rubber gasket material 8 years ago and are just now starting to degrade, but they are still padding the metal from the paint. Home Depot has this reddish real rubber gasket material in the plumbing dept. When I originally bought this material it was at an auto parts store, but none of my local parts stores had it anymore.

Thanks to all here.

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
I would suggest wherever those clamp to the rain gutter, use some red rubber gasket material to isolate the metal clamp from the paint. We have all seen too many racks on vans that rust like crazy.

My rain gutter clamps, 5 on each side, were lined with this rubber gasket material 8 years ago and are just now starting to degrade, but they are still padding the metal from the paint. Home Depot has this reddish real rubber gasket material in the plumbing dept. When I originally bought this material it was at an auto parts store, but none of my local parts stores had it anymore.

Thanks to all here.
I use black rubber high pressure hose cut down the middle, may not be visible in the pics but it is there. PO used nothing (racks were 3/4" too wide and rubber wouldn't fit) that beat up the rails good. So far with the rubber rails look good. I don't use it all the time so it's easy to monitor damage.

rock_fencer

Anybody have suggestions for sealant that will cure in borderline freezing temps. I never got around to bolting my rails down yet and it’s cold in alaska now. Don’t want to drill the roof if I can’t seal.

BrennWagon

He’s just this guy, you know?
Use VHB tape as your seal, it should stick, maybe not as well as in warmer temps but it’s what I used and I have zero leaks after two years with 14 penetrations per rail

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
They are not good when significant loads are applied.

Quote from the video "Pull-through is an issue. It's not the best for that."

What is the Pull-out load for an installed Well-Nut. Compare to say a riv-nut or similar and I think you will be shocked. And most people do not use riv-nut's for roof racks, they through bolt with heavy backing washers!

Keith.

brokengranite

Hold my beer, watch this
Thanks Keith,

No doubt that a riv nut is stronger than a well nut. I would be curious what kind of loads would realistically be seen in the outward direction, especially when spread out over a track system.

It seems that people have done anything from just using VHB tape, to sheet metal screws, to riv nuts, to through bolts and washers.

BrennWagon

He’s just this guy, you know?
I’ll add that a lot of after market roof rails seem to use vhb for the span and a sheet metal screw to hold down each end cap.

Grainger. I ordered online. They shipped to alaska distribution center. Still need stainless hardware to avoid galvanic corrosion. Only comes in 10 ft lengths. So ours is cut into a 44 in and 10 ft. Glued with vhb tape. It’s 14 gauge x 1&5/8 by 13/16ths I think or at least that’s what we got because we wanted a lower profile. Cross bars or photovoltaics that go across will need a shim to not touch the center of the roof curve.

T
I did something similar with aluminum unistrut (14 gauge) from grainger. We got the shallower depth so its not as visible. Glued it down with VHB tape. Eventually will toss in some bolts but its too cold in Alaska right now for sealer to cure. 90$ for the aluminum, 30$ for the VHB tape. Cross bares will be fabricated from aluminum. The biggest cost is going to be the stainless steel spring nuts but i might just use 1/4 inch aluminum and fabricate square washers to fit the unistrut.

Love the aluminum unistrut idea.
How have you installed crossbars to it yet? I'd love to see it; I'm trying to visualize whether I could attach the Thule Tracker Fit Kit or the Yakima Landing Pads to the unistrut.

Also I'm wondering if you think going with the higher profile 12 ga version of unistrut from Grainger (7/8" taller than the 14 ga) would allow solar panels or bars to clear the roof ribs/curve without shimming?

I'm going to try to get solar panels and a *canoe* up top so need it all to be pretty secure; maybe I should use order the 'solid' version of the unistruts and only drill holes for the mounting bolts at the actual locations I'm going to use...just to kinda keep it cleaner up there. Trying to decide between the unistruts and 78" Prolines.

Last edited:

rock_fencer

Anyone else have recommendations on how to install aluminum extrusion / track slides to the roof of their T1N? I just put a piece of extrusion on top of my 118" to see how it would look and theres a slight curve towards the rear of the van, dont know if I should make some sort of spacers to account for it, or find some different track (1050? Proline?) that might conform better to the roof.

I ran a strip of vhb tape underneath and bolted it. The curve is minor.

rock_fencer

Love the aluminum unistrut idea.
How have you installed crossbars to it yet? I'd love to see it; I'm trying to visualize whether I could attach the Thule Tracker Fit Kit or the Yakima Landing Pads to the unistrut.

Also I'm wondering if you think going with the higher profile 12 ga version of unistrut from Grainger (7/8" taller than the 14 ga) would allow solar panels or bars to clear the roof ribs/curve without shimming?

I'm going to try to get solar panels and a *canoe* up top so need it all to be pretty secure; maybe I should use order the 'solid' version of the unistruts and only drill holes for the mounting bolts at the actual locations I'm going to use...just to kinda keep it cleaner up there. Trying to decide between the unistruts and 78" Prolines.

No picture of the rack yet but basically it’s two 1.5 inch L brackets connecting a piece of 80/20 to the unistrut with stainless nuts. _| :-: |_ Like so in cross section

albertosalinas

Yes was looking at the Rhino platform but couldn’t get a straight answer if it would fit a 2006 sprinter with rails.
Also was wondering What crossbars would go with it? Thanks again!
i have these on my van

https://www.truckrackinc.com/s/cc_images/teaserbox_4223141166.png?t=1501870325

its shown on a cargo trailer, but mine has 4x long legs that go down to the gutter and normal rails and crossbars on top

https://www.truckrackinc.com/products/specialty-racks/
How much did it cost you?

xeres

What I think would be the best option would be to permanently install a track system running the length of the van like the NVC3 vans. I've installed a few Yakima tracks onto T1N sprinters at my work.
Any tips on installing a track system on a T1N? We have a 118" standard roof. I am heading to a local wrecking yard to pull a few parts including a set of the roof rails from a 2008 Sprinter.

Sstromerson

Any tips on installing a track system on a T1N? We have a 118" standard roof. I am heading to a local wrecking yard to pull a few parts including a set of the roof rails from a 2008 Sprinter.
If you're going to be installing used roof tracks be sure to fully inspect them, especially if you weren't the one removing them. If you are removing be careful to not bend/crease them, they're just aluminum.

For installing those tracks on a t1n it will be pretty custom, might have to cut them to the length you want which isn't a big deal. I can't remember how the ribbing looks on top, but you could cut the tracks and do two separate sections of you need to span over any ribbing.

Whether you're doing riv-nuts or plus-nuts I make sure you have a proper tool and know how to use it. They can be a pain to remove if not seated or tightened correctly. Check your spacing between riv-nut or plus-nut and the bottom of the tracks, might want to put nylon spacers or washers to fill the void if there is one. Be sure to silicone everything. Try to reuse or create your own end cap for the tracks on the front edge or you might get a whistling while driving.

Since you have a short roof if you're just looking for crossbars your easiest set up would be rain gutter mounted towers (Yakima 1a or Thule 300).

Good luck and let me know if there's anything else you need

JackofFewTrades

I put track mount racks on mine made by proline.

https://www.prolineracks.com/proline-roof-end-track-slats.html

See the attached picture of my solar panels straddling my roof vent.
Hi there!
I know it's been a while but I was wondering if you could provide the bolt sizing for the proline track mounts that you used. I love the idea and want to get some myself but I'm unsure of the correct hardware to attach panels with.

Thanks!
Jack

Top Bottom