Cracked Engine Block "Fix" with JB Weld

JCMiller23

'05 Dodge 2500 T1N (fedex)
Hey all,

This is about a different vehicle, but I have gotten so much help from you guys that I wanted to give back in some way.

I had a cracked engine block, not on my sprinter, but on my 2007 Honda Civic that was leaking coolant. Luckily the combustion chamber was unharmed. I put JB Weld on it because I couldn't afford anything more expensive.

Results: Used to leak 16oz/500mL of coolant every 20-30 miles. Now leaks 1 oz every 100 miles. Going on 6 weeks, about 2000 miles.

Process:
Day 1 - 2 hrs
I drained all the coolant then used a radiator pressure tester to get all the excess fluid out (after everything dripped out, I would pressurize to 10-15 psi, then open the drain plug, did this until the air came out dry without excess humidity). Then I let it get bone dry, waited a whole day (car sat in a parking lot with 90 degree heat). Took a hairdryer to the crack to dry out any remaining fluid. I taped the "cool" button down so the hair dryer wouldn't output any heat, wedged it so it was aiming at the engine block and I left it blowing on the crack for an hour.

Day 2 - 6+ hours off and on
Then I cleaned the **** out of it, literally spent 2 hours with a dremel with wire brush attachments and acetone on a spot 4 inches wide and 3 inches tall. I first went through with the dremel, getting everything I could, then I cleaned the same spot over an over again with a white rag and acetone, finding a new spot on the rag for each wipe until the rag came out clean. I did 4 coats of JB weld, getting wider each time, about an hour apart (this varies depending on outside temperature, you want the JB Weld still very malleable and sticky but have a little fortitude in it so you can smash it into the crack further ). I filled in an additional inch on each side of the horizontal crack and an inch and a half on the top and bottom of the crack. I put on a fresh pair of nitrile gloves for each coat making sure to smear the JB Weld with my fingers and push it into the cracks with as much pressure as I could. Then I waited 48 hours before putting it all back together and driving it again.

Unrelated:
I think I may have damaged the O2 sensor, car is getting 23 mpg instead of 27 since this fix. Have yet to investigate.

Products used:
Radiator pressure tester: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0HDCM0/
JB Weld: https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-8265S-Ntroaterproofme-Adhesive/dp/B0006O1ICE
Dremel: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TU0XFU/
Wire brush attachments: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C050VIY/ and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C050V9I/
Hairdryer isn't important, I just borrowed one from a neighbor. Make sure it has a "cool" button so you can leave it blowing without fear of melting something.
Rags were from Home Depot, they sell a roll of white rags made from old t-shirts.
Acetone and gloves were from Ace Hardware.

Total money spent was maybe $100 or so.

Sounds good. Thanks for the information. :thumbup:

Did you try to make a bit of a Vee groove along the crack with the Dremel? That would give the JB Weld a bit more bite. After the first layer I'd include a bit of mesh for strength, but you should be fine without it.

I have some fine nickel mesh which could be added to your repair. It has worked great for some of my fixes. The 2004 Eberspacher heater aluminum body was one repair. I can easily mail you a chunk of mesh. P.M. me with your address and size needed if you are interested.

:cheers: vic

lindenengineering

Sounds good. Thanks for the information. :thumbup:

Did you try to make a bit of a Vee groove along the crack with the Dremel? That would give the JB Weld a bit more bite. After the first layer I'd include a bit of mesh for strength, but you should be fine without it.

I have some fine nickel mesh which could be added to your repair. It has worked great for some of my fixes. The 2004 Eberspacher heater aluminum body was one repair. I can easily mail you a chunk of mesh. P.M. me with your address and size needed if you are interested.

:cheers: vic
And there you have it from the King of Gobwhack!:lol:
:thumbup::thumbup:
Cheers Dennis

D

Deleted member 50714

100 hours later, still holding. Went from a running leak to a weep.

(John Deer tractor)

Attachments

BrennWagon

He’s just this guy, you know?
Bob, that PTO warning sticker is great! Industrial warning stickers are usually hilarious and informative

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
Results: Used to leak 16oz/500mL of coolant every 20-30 miles. Now leaks 1 oz every 100 miles. Going on 6 weeks, about 2000 miles.
That's kinda been my experience with JB Weld fixes of fluid leaks, i.e. it seals pretty well but for some reason never completely.

D

Deleted member 50714

Bob, that PTO warning sticker is great! Industrial warning stickers are usually hilarious and informative
I've heard horror stories of people getting caught in the propshaft losing arms and legs.

D

Deleted member 50714

lol they are liked the electrocution one. Buzzz.

I've heard horror stories of people getting caught in the propshaft losing arms and legs.

That's kinda been my experience with JB Weld fixes of fluid leaks, i.e. it seals pretty well but for some reason never completely.
So much depends upon the failure you are trying to repair. When I can get access for proper prep my JB Weld repairs have been 100% effective.

Classic JB Weld includes powdered iron as a filler. It has a fairly high temperature range, higher than most auto parts store epoxy offerings. That said, there are even better brands/choices depending upon what is being repaired.

:2cents: vic

VanCraig

2006 2500 140", Tall Roof Camper Conversion
I've got a small gap between the engine block and the exhaust manifold. The studs are so completely rusted that I'm fearful of them breaking off if I try to remove them (even super-heating with a torch will likely not work).

Do you suppose that using JB Weld in this situation would be effective? I've got to imagine that anything would be better than the high-pitched squeal I hear whenever I step on the accelerator.

Thanks,
Craig

Here's a link to a photo of the leak:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15NbyYYg9DTTKzMs79l1wn6wYI2lxuDWW/view?usp=sharing

lindenengineering

The exhaust manifold will be warped!
You either need to replace it or get the original surface ground.
We keep exchange units (take off's) surface ground for instant replacement in the shop.

Judging by your photos the nuts aren't that bad, I have seen much worse.
The secret to easy removal is an oxy torch using a#2 or #5 nozzle and low gas pressure.
Heat each nut in turn to cherry, then using a 3/8 th drive 8 mm socket & extension slowly turn the nut to free it off . Keep the heat going to spin it off the stud. Remember the tools will get hot so be mindful of burning yourself with a hot socket . So the trick is heat & apply the socket, heat & repeat as the nut starts to bind.

You will need an assistant and some nuts being obscured from the top will need tool guidance to get the socket on the nut in question.

Some of the rear ones are best attacked from the bottom, laying under the rig if you don't have lift (I find it more convenient to lay under the van) and have the assistant with the torch be guided to concentrate the flame on the nut.
The secret is not to go at it like a bull at a gate.
Clean the stud threads with a die nut 8 x 1,25, use new nuts and torque gradually to 22 lbs ft.
Testing the torque wrench BEFORE you get snugging up.
Gasket often come in 6 cylinder variants so you might need a pair of aircraft tin snips to lop off the extra port section.

All the best
Dennis

What Dennis said.

Do you suppose that using JB Weld in this situation would be effective? I've got to imagine that anything would be better than the high-pitched squeal I hear whenever I step on the accelerator.

JB Weld probably isn't a good idea.

If your goal is to just stop the squeal I suppose that a proper size feeler gauge tab could be slipped in to jam the gasket metal "reed". The escaping exhaust gas will probably eventually erode the OEM gasket away. I have no data.

Last edited:

JCMiller23

Update, a year later. JB Weld lasted 6-8 months the first time then leaked again big time. Methinks the temperature change (started leaking in the winter) had something to do with it. Applied additional JB Weld around current fix then got another 2 months out of it. Then ground off all the epoxy and started fresh on my 3rd application a month ago. Ground grooves in it this most recent time as best I could without having to take half the engine apart. Put less JB Weld on this time because grinding it all off was a bit of a pain, leaks 1 oz every 50 miles now, but still tenable.

I didn't drill out the block with this particular problem, it might not be a bad idea though. I'm afraid of screwing something up by taking apart half my engine to be able to get an angle on it with a drill. Also the 1/2" crack is isolated between 'posts' (thick parts, for lack of a better term) in engine block, is common to my particular model (2007 civic) and is not known to spread, so far so good with this after 1 year. Wire mesh also def couldn't hurt, but with small crack and 20 psi coolant, is it necessary?

Thanks for the feedback. :thumbup:
It seems to be working.

.... Wire mesh also def couldn't hurt, but with small crack and 20 psi coolant, is it necessary?
In my mind any added mesh or other reinforcement isn't for the system pressure. The mesh adds stability and adds a bit of thickness to the epoxy layer. That will help to avoid future failure when the parts react to temperature changes. Think of the fiberglass cloth or biaxial mat in boats. It is the cloth aka mesh that gives the strength. Resin alone would flex, fatigue, and fail.

I have some nickel mesh that works great. I'll be happy to mail you a piece of it.

JCMiller23

Update 4 years later.

The mesh from vic helped and also, I made a big change in the process when I realized that the coolant acts like a solvent for the JB Weld. I then used silicone gasket sealant directly on the crack, let that fully dry and covered it with jb weld and wire mesh. No leaks whatsoever. Hoping this will last indefinitely since the coolant/solvent issue was the thing that would stop it every 6-8 months.

TrackSprinter

2016 Motovan Boondocker
The mesh from vic helped and also, I made a big change in the process when I realized that the coolant acts like a solvent for the JB Weld. I then used silicone gasket sealant directly on the crack, let that fully dry and covered it with jb weld and wire mesh. No leaks whatsoever.
Good to know.

Thanks for the update.

Top Bottom