2003 Sprinter Wont Start

Ring man

Hello,

I have a 2003 Sprinter 5 cylinder 2.6 turbo with 220,000 miles on it. Was going down the road and started losing power and the engine quit.

I got it towed back to my house and looked at the engine and looked OK but the fuel filter was rusty so I changed it and purged the air in the line to the low pressure pump and it still did not start.

I next changed the crankcase position sensor, still no start.

I next changed the camshaft position sensor, still no start.

I pulled all the fuses in the truck and all were good.

I bought an icarscan and it shows no codes but it says :

State : Historic

The CAN communication of the engine control module is faulty

P2404

CAN fault - the signal of the stoplight switch is implausible

Mass Air flow sensor -the signal voltage is too low

I don't know what to do next.

Help

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
What is the fuel pressure when cranking? It should be at least 3,000 psi. What is the RPM on the live data show when cranking? It should be at least 220rpm.

Zundfolge

Always learning...
Since it's an '03 and you changed a seemingly known bad fuel filter, which I don't think will always throw a code, I'd be suspecting that you still have air in the lines. Those things are notoriously hard to purge...

Even without scanning live data, does your tach move up while cranking?

Hello,

I have a 2003 Sprinter 5 cylinder 2.6 turbo with 220,000 miles on it. Was going down the road and started losing power and the engine quit.
Then a more accurate title for your thread would replace "Wont Start" with "stalled while driving, won't restart".

I got it towed back to my house...
Why did you tow it to your house instead towing it to a competent Sprinter technician?

...and looked at the engine and looked OK...
What do you mean? In what way was it that the engine "looked OK"?

...but the fuel filter was rusty so I changed it and purged the air in the line to the low pressure pump and it still did not start.

I next changed the crankcase position sensor, still no start.

I next changed the camshaft position sensor, still no start.

I pulled all the fuses in the truck and all were good.
First of all, there is no such thing as a "crankcase position sensor".

Where did you buy all these parts that you replaced?

And when you say "still no start", are you trying to say that it cranks but won't start, or it won't crank, or what?

I bought an icarscan and it shows no codes but it says :

The CAN communication of the engine control module is faulty

P2404

CAN fault - the signal of the stoplight switch is implausible

Mass Air flow sensor -the signal voltage is too low
You're not gonna fix your vehicle with your I-phone.

I don't know what to do next.

Help
I would strongly recommend that you stop guessing by randomly replacing parts for no reason. In addition to spending your money for no reason on parts that your vehicle may not need, you may actually be installing additional problems AND you're not solving your original Complaint. I have seen this happen many, many times.

Guessing is by far the most time-consuming and expensive method of vehicle repair. I would recommend diagnosis instead. Diagnosis is by far the least expensive and quickest method of vehicle repair.

Ring man

It is over 100 miles to a MB dealer and I am broke, money wise, changing those parts was my son's idea and he sent me the parts.

I am pretty sure I purged all the air from the fuel line and am looking for something else to try, I put a rag with gas on it in front of the intake air hose and it almost ran, so I am thinking it is not getting fuel.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Exactly, what scanner do you have? If it's a sprinter compatible scanner such as the ones recommended on this forum you should be able to view live data. this is absolutely critical to good diagnosis and if you aren't using this feature you're putting yourself at a major disadvantage. This is not an old carbureted V-8 or other simple engine. It requires a slightly more advanced approach for diagnosis.

Ring man

I bought the icarsoft MB V2.0, which was recommended on this forum, but it does not give me much information.

Zundfolge

Always learning...
".

Why did you tow it to your house instead towing it to a competent Sprinter technician?
I would like to know where this magical world is that you reside in, seemingly peppered with smiling, helpful, and competent Sprinter technicians who take a textbook and logical approach to diagnosis and repair, and at a reasonable cost too!

Perhaps if you could tell the op where you take YOUR T1N sprinter in for repairs, then he or she could get the work done there?

Just a thought...

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
GT is just trying to get a rise out folks, and possibly make himself feel better/superior, while simultaneously feeding a deep seated need for attention. Add him to your ignore list and don't provide food for the troll.

It is over 100 miles to a MB dealer and I am broke, money wise, changing those parts was my son's idea and he sent me the parts.

I am pretty sure I purged all the air from the fuel line and am looking for something else to try, I put a rag with gas on it in front of the intake air hose and it almost ran, so I am thinking it is not getting fuel.
Got it.

If you're broke, it's gonna be even more important not to guess.

Did it run perfectly BEFORE it quit? Were there any problems before it quit?

Have you checked to see if it's delivering fuel when cranking?

D

Deleted member 50714

Then a more accurate title for your thread would replace "Wont Start" with "stalled while driving, won't restart".

What do you mean? In what way was it that the engine "looked OK"?

First of all, there is no such thing as a "crankcase position sensor".

Where did you buy all these parts that you replaced?

And when you say "still no start", are you trying to say that it cranks but won't start, or it won't crank, or what?

You're not gonna fix your vehicle with your I-phone.

I would strongly recommend that you stop guessing by randomly replacing parts for no reason. In addition to spending your money for no reason on parts that your vehicle may not need, you may actually be installing additional problems AND you're not solving your original Complaint. I have seen this happen many, many times.

Guessing is by far the most time-consuming and expensive method of vehicle repair. I would recommend diagnosis instead. Diagnosis is by far the least expensive and quickest method of vehicle repair.
Sounds perfectly reasonable. Now, based on the information provided by OP, astonish the forum with your infallible diagnostic excellence???

Ring man

I live in the Florida Keys, paradise unless you own a Sprinter.

I bought the truck a couple of months ago and was planning to do the servicing myself.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
We have a pretty good database of information, and members with good experience. If you are handy, patient, and willing to spend some time reading, you can accomplish all but the most difficult maintenance on your own.

Last edited:

Ring man

Got it.

If you're broke, it's gonna be even more important not to guess.

Did it run perfectly BEFORE it quit? Were there any problems before it quit?

Have you checked to see if it's delivering fuel when cranking?
I am trying to figure out how to check to see if it is delivering fuel, it ran perfect for 20 thousand miles,

Ring man

Sounds perfectly reasonable. Now, based on the information provided by OP, astonish the forum with your infallible diagnostic excellence???
What I am calling the crankcase position sensor is the one located on the driver's side of the upper bell housing

Thanks for the comedic set-up, but we've been over this before- it's not possible to diagnose a vehicle over the internet.

And teaching someone vehicle diagnosis over the internet would be much more labor-intensive than simply paying a competent technician to diagnose it for him.

Technicians get paid well, because what they do is a skill that involves significant breadth of knowledge, acquired through the pursuit as a full-time occupation. Good technicians are extremely valuable- if their job was easy, everyone would do it. It's not just buying a wrench and asking questions on the internet.

Top Bottom