Intermittent delayed power to instrument cluster.

stangtmb

Hi. First post on the forum. I bought a 2006 tall and long about a year ago and have been slowly fixing it up to turn into a home on wheels.
Having a weird issue where the instrument cluster doesn't always light up when the key is on (key is in run position, engine off). Sometimes it is delayed, and sometimes it doesn't light up until the key is in the start position. The van starts and runs well. Sometimes it won't happen for a couple days, and sometimes it will happen every time I go to start it.
The following codes appear after it has happened a handful of times:
P0100-mass air flow circuit
P0102-mass air flow circuit low input
U0155-lost communication with instrument panel cluster control module
P0500-Vehicle speed sensor "A"
U0101-Lost communication with TCM

I did recently replace Fuse box 1 to fix some other weird electrical issues.

Any help on what could be causing this is greatly appreciated.

In the following video it shows the delayed power concern, then I remove the key, reinsert it , turn to the run position and there is operates correctly the seconded time.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0YEetNL8hibNKjMJXzBGNuoyg

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Rats... you've already replaced fuse box #1, which would've been the prime suspect.

It *sounds* like a loose connector (or ground, or power supply), which the vibration of the starting Sprinter then causes to make contact.

So check that the instrument cluster (IC) connector is really well-seated.

The MAF (etc) stuff could be wire harness damage at the bend it makes behind the fuel filter ... the MB tie-wrap holds it too tightly, and the hot engine metal can chafe through the insulation or cause the wires inside the harness to push through their softened insulation and create intermittent short circuits.

--dick

Based upon not much it could be a wonky ignition switch.

When the problem presents have you tried wiggling the ignition key and slightly twisting without going to the adjacent position? If the dash lights respond it may be the ignition switch, or a connection issue as Autostaretx Dick mentioned.

Ignition switch issues aren't necessarily common, but they are not unheard of either.

:2cents: vic

stangtmb

Rats... you've already replaced fuse box #1, which would've been the prime suspect.

It *sounds* like a loose connector (or ground, or power supply), which the vibration of the starting Sprinter then causes to make contact.

So check that the instrument cluster (IC) connector is really well-seated.

The MAF (etc) stuff could be wire harness damage at the bend it makes behind the fuel filter ... the MB tie-wrap holds it too tightly, and the hot engine metal can chafe through the insulation or cause the wires inside the harness to push through their softened insulation and create intermittent short circuits.

--dick
It usually powers up without having to engage the starter, so a vibration doesn't affect it. I did check all the connectors at the IC and all are intact and well seated.

I will definitely check that area for damage to the wiring, thanks!

stangtmb

Based upon not much it could be a wonky ignition switch.

When the problem presents have you tried wiggling the ignition key and slightly twisting without going to the adjacent position? If the dash lights respond it may be the ignition switch, or a connection issue as Autostaretx Dick mentioned.

Ignition switch issues aren't necessarily common, but they are not unheard of either.

:2cents: vic
I don't think it is an ignition switch because the ACC signal from it triggers the radio to turn on and that always works perfectly. So if the radio is getting power, ,then so should the IC right? Or at least that proves out the ignition switch?.. Thank you for the suggestion!

stangtmb

The relay is good. After studying the schematics for a while, I deemed the likely culprit that is causing this scenario to be the ignition switch like Aqua Puttana had suggested. Have one on order. Hopefully that does it.

grumpy-old-van

A little bit Oooh Errrr
There is a ground under the IC in EU spec vans worth checking if it exist in US, at same time as IC connector suggested above

Top Bottom