Mercedes-Benz Sprinter model 906 Corrosion Preventive Maintenance Door thresholds.

• Thread starter Deleted member 50714
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 50714

Mercedes-Benz Sprinter model 906 Corrosion Preventive Maintenance Door thresholds.

This is an excellent area for Big Gulps to migrate. Definitely worth cleaning especially if repeated exposure to road salt and water.

I thought about coating the area with cavity wax or undercarriage coating. In the end, I just decided to apply Aerospace plastic protectant and reassemble.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
One option which will serve you well in protecting the metal under the plastic footwell covers would be to put a good adhesive sound deadener everywhere in the footwell areas and seal the beautiful paint there you have from any moisture.

It may just be my experience, but I found that the front cab rubber door seals, or possibly the windows through the bottom weep holes, allow rain to make its way under the plastic footwell covers. Out of sight, out of mind.

Both of my 06 front footwells showed signs of water intrusion even though the rubber door seals are in perfect shape. After sanding off the rust, spraying a couple of coats of Rustoleum before applying the adhesive sound deadener and replacing the plastic cover, there is no way for any moisture to come into contact with the metal in the footwell.

The side door footwell did not. It was like new under the plastic cover. I still sprayed the metal with a couple of coats of Rustoleum before adding the sound deadener followed by the plastic cover.

Quieting these tin boxes makes for a much better driving experience. My music can be played at a lower volume, conversation can be held at a normal talking level without having to raise my voice.

The adhesive on the sound deadener material is very strong and seals up completely to separate the metal from any water intrusion. If you ever stick it to itself, there is no pulling it apart. Its flexibility can be pushed into multiple curves and angles and sticks. Removing it would be a bear. Thanks to all here.

D

Deleted member 50714

One option which will serve you well in protecting the metal under the plastic footwell covers would be to put a good adhesive sound deadener everywhere in the footwell areas and seal the beautiful paint there you have from any moisture.

It may just be my experience, but I found that the front cab rubber door seals, or possibly the windows through the bottom weep holes, allow rain to make its way under the plastic footwell covers. Out of sight, out of mind.

Both of my 06 front footwells showed signs of water intrusion even though the rubber door seals are in perfect shape. After sanding off the rust, spraying a couple of coats of Rustoleum before applying the adhesive sound deadener and replacing the plastic cover, there is no way for any moisture to come into contact with the metal in the footwell.

The side door footwell did not. It was like new under the plastic cover. I still sprayed the metal with a couple of coats of Rustoleum before adding the sound deadener followed by the plastic cover.

Quieting these tin boxes makes for a much better driving experience. My music can be played at a lower volume, conversation can be held at a normal talking level without having to raise my voice.

The adhesive on the sound deadener material is very strong and seals up completely to separate the metal from any water intrusion. If you ever stick it to itself, there is no pulling it apart. Its flexibility can be pushed into multiple curves and angles and sticks. Removing it would be a bear. Thanks to all here.
Link?

D

Deleted member 50714

Not sure what this piece of plastic is supposed to do? I put it back in.

Attachments

Bob, first time I have seen that piece of thin plastic. Don't have a clue. If water got in under that, it would only help the rust to come all the sooner.

As for the sound deadener, I bought some that a local shop had in stock. It comes in the same mil thickness and sq ft. packages that the well known others in the market offer. The difference is this was almost twice the price. The seller said it was the best product on the market and his wholesale cost was higher than the other. I appreciated that he would let me buy what I needed especially for the convenience of driving a couple of miles and picking it up. It is asphalt free which keeps the off-gas fumes at bay. It was sourced from the Russian Federation and when I tried to google the numbers on the package, all that came up was Russian tanks and not the sound deadener itself. I never smelled any fumes from installing this product, and I have quite a good nose for odors.

The minimal effort it takes is so worth it for the improved driving experience on the road, and, separating the metal in the footwells from any water contact is an added bonus. I still find it curious that my side door footwell showed no signs of rust while the front cab footwells certainly did. Out of sight, out of mind, the cancer grows.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 50714

I think the open-cell Texas looking foam-sponge block near the drain is to wick up water and allow it to air dry. Problem is, regions of high humidity it may never dry, harboring mold and source of musty odors.

I used my handy sprayer to simulate a spilled Big Gulp. Actually, it was to clean crud from cavity wax. Cavity wax has its uses but this is not one of them. I don't think it's a good idea to have a coating, when warm, may incapsulate corrosive debris. But then again I could be wrong because I recall using it extensively underneath 747 passenger floorboards. Can you imagine the spilled drinks and food over 25 years?

With vehicle located on level ground, the threshold can easily hold at least a half a gallon of water before it begins to drain overboard through a small penetration located below the B pillar. Frequent and sustained acceleration will aid in water drainage. Once the water evaporates, whatever elements were in it, is left behind as deposits such as road salt. I recommend cleaning and thoroughly drying the Texas sponge. Vehicles located in regions of high moisture should consider inspecting and cleaning this area annually.

Next time I open up this area, I will apply sound deadening material.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 50714

Bob I think that piece of plastic is intended to act like a buffer between the plastic foot well and the painted body.

Bob
Thanks Bob, that makes sense, and an excellent observation. I'm glad I reinstalled it.

timbriggs

Any idea on best solution for replacing the footwell? Anyone make this part that I can cut mine off and weld back a new one. My T1N is completarla rusted through in this spot.

D

Deleted member 50714

Any idea on best solution for replacing the footwell? Anyone make this part that I can cut mine off and weld back a new one. My T1N is completarla rusted through in this spot.
Can you post pics to give a better idea the extent of the damage? Probably the best route is find a junk donor vehicle but a bit of a challenge I understand.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Tim,

You would do better by posting your question in the T1N Talk section rather than here in the NCV3 section.

Keith.

danski0224

I took my plastic covers off 2 weeks ago, and already had the beginnings of rust on the sheet metal.

I sprayed mine with Corrosion Free after cleaning everything.

Crappy design.

Plenty of ways for water to get in, and no ways for it to get out.

A big source of water is from the floor mat, especially in winter.

I'm going to look at the WeatherTech Sprinter floor mat, but I'm certainly not enthusiastic about the cost of it.

highgeer

After reading this thread, I was curious to see if I have any damage in the threshold on my 2017. I have some sound deadening material I will drop in there at the same time. I started to disassemble, but haven't quite figured out how to get that plastic piece out of the footwell. I did a quick search here and on youtube, but couldn't find anything. Since you all have done it, any suggestions? I've got a knack for breaking irreplaceable plastic tabs when I start pulling trim pieces apart! Thanks!

D

Deleted member 50714

After reading this thread, I was curious to see if I have any damage in the threshold on my 2017. I have some sound deadening material I will drop in there at the same time. I started to disassemble, but haven't quite figured out how to get that plastic piece out of the footwell. I did a quick search here and on youtube, but couldn't find anything. Since you all have done it, any suggestions? I've got a knack for breaking irreplaceable plastic tabs when I start pulling trim pieces apart! Thanks!
Stand by

D

Deleted member 50714

Need two sharp pricks, massage them into the plastic while simultaneously imparting a slanted series of rapid macro tugs.

You can see where goobered it up a bit using different technique. IMG_4538.JPG
To facilitate a future extraction, I experimented by notching the backside of the plug and then laying a piece dental floss across the hole while inserting the plug.

I only did one to see if it will work and it does. I want to cover this area with a piece of carpet or something protect the plastic then soak up any foot water.
IMG_4536.JPG

D

Deleted member 50714

Be aware there are drain hole(s) in the foot well, located around the B pillar.

highgeer

Need two sharp pricks, massage them into the plastic while simultaneously imparting a slanted series of rapid macro tugs.

You can see where goobered it up a bit using different technique. To facilitate a future extraction, I experimented by notching the backside of the plug and then laying a piece dental floss across the hole while inserting the plug.

I only did one to see if it will work and it does. I want to cover this area with a piece of carpet or something protect the plastic then soak up any foot water.
Wow, thanks for the detailed description! So, no hidden tabs locking it in once I remove those plastic trim covers?

D

Deleted member 50714

Just screws down the holes. Be aware you will compromise the water tightness removing the screws. No biggie just dab on a bit of sealant post installation.

Also take an account the thickness of the insulation you want to install doesn't interfere with the plastic standoffs on the plastic foot will cover.

Top Bottom