Exterior update done. Pics attached

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
When I bought my 2004 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser,....it had the full on vintage RV paint and graphics package with the gold front air dam, running board and fender flares, stripes, lettering, swooshes etc. Its all gone now.

Thanks to Gringo Rick for inspiration and helping me muster up the courage to remove the running boards, fender flares, and go with a stock front bumper.

Heres what was done.

1) Fender flares and running boards removed.
2)Holes for all the running board fasteners plugged with body hole plugs
3)rocker panels painted in Gray Hammertone (Thanks Rick)
4)All stripes, swooshes and lettering removed with a striper eraser wheel.
5)Front bumper removed and new stock front bumper installed
6)All water inlets, shower, shore power connections replaced with new (all were yellowed)
7)Found a set of OE rear fender flares at a junk yard, and plastic painted them dark gray and installed,...this covered the white body paint exposed by the running board fender flare removal,...and gave the rear wheel well the right OE look.
8)Found the correct Original Gold tone paint in an aerosol paint,...and painted the front wheel wells, where there was exposed white paint after removing the fender flares and running boards,
9)Installed New Begel Front Mud Flaps
10)Painted all four of the original steel wheels
11) Had the front windows tinted in 35% Gray tint film. Might go a bit darker in the future.

I've attached a few pics so you can see the changes.

Edit: I have rotated the final picture 180 degrees in an effort to show it properly right side up,....no matter what I do, it continues to display upside down,....any suggestions??

Edit:
From some comments by other members it has to do with embedded data in the picture. Metadata sets the orientation. I copied and rotated the picture using MS Paint. I believe that sets different metadata.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59026&highlight=picture+upside

Your rig looks much cleaner. :thumbup: vic

Brian in San Antonio

Sprinter before and after stripe removal, running boards, bumper.jpg

Vista Cruiser Exterior Final.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

garyr

Hello,
How much do the running boards weigh?
approximately? exactly?

Thinking of taking mine off out 06
Regards gary

Saturn949

I recommend to add rear mudflaps as they will be guarding gray tank and drain pipe with valve from rocks and road debris. I did same list on mine plus replaced front roof vent for transparent one with was added lots lite inside in table area, removed tv antenna, replaced front grill and headlights to original MB looks.

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
I recommend to add rear mudflaps as they will be guarding gray tank and drain pipe with valve from rocks and road debris. I did same list on mine plus replaced front roof vent for transparent one with was added lots lite inside in table area, removed tv antenna, replaced front grill and headlights to original MB looks.
I have the rear mud flaps to add back when time allows. I am curious why you removed the TV antenna and what was involved in doing it.

Brian

Saturn949

I have the rear mud flaps to add back when time allows. I am curious why you removed the TV antenna and what was involved in doing it.

Brian

We never used TV in old van and I did not needed anyway. I was lucky that this antenna was not leaking as it has direct hole from roof inside. Antena removal is not simple as after all screw removal from the roof you have to slowly detached antenna base assembly from roof with is full butyl rubber sealant. THis stuff is indeed extra sticky be careful not to bend roof. And of course after antena removed you need to make roof metal patch to cover hole in roof and seal it. hole itself is about 2 inches. COax cable you may live inside sealing.
Biggest benefit is to have no roof leaks and no bouncing on the roof as we routinely using our van in rainy weather on the HWY.

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
A twist I have been curious about,..... today. I blacked out my grill with electrical tape to see if I liked the look. Undecided.

Attachments

greybush

Hopefully I'm not too late to revive this old thread. I need to replace my exterior shower, but I can't seem to find one that is as small as the current unit.

The previous owner lost the key, so when it started leaking I had to break the door to get it open and fix the leak. I'm also interested in replacing the two water connections and the power outlet too.

Top Bottom