is it the turbo ?

mickal

dodge sprinter 2500 year 2006

last winter when they change the alternator, when pickup the van i had no turbo. they wiggle some wire and got turbo back.

now on highway i lose turbo, i stop and wiggle wire and got it back. but turbo stop again do the same thing.

when home, i wiggle the wires and those at the actuator also, and have turbo back in city driving and turbo don't shut off .

is it a turbo problem when stop and restart the engine to have turbo back?

also i hear a hissing sound and seem to come from turbo, higher the RPM more the hissing sound.

is it normal?

thank 's

Mickal

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Wiggle *which* wire? (a photo with an arrow would help)

The hissing may be a leak in the resonator (if you have one) or the rubber hoses.

--dick

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
A boost leak will cause the ECM to stop commanding the turbo to produce boost and will reset with an ignition cycle. If your turbo CAN produce boost then you do not need to replace it.

Sounds like you have two issues, a boost leak and flaky wiring.

Keith.

mickal

thank's,

it run good into city driving, but take the highway and turbo stop, simply stop and restart the engine and turbo back.

got a P0299 underboost, but it dont came back after loosing turbo on highway again.

Mickal

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Does your turbo only drop out if MAP (or Boost) exceeds a certain figure?

Try watching live data for MAP (or Boost if you prefer) whilst driving and slowly step on the go pedal while climbing a grade.

If the turbo always drops out at the same MAP figure then you most likely have a split in your turbo plumbing.

Keith.

mickal

a ruber hose crack or a loose clamp?

got display for Boost, Load, speed and accel on the same screen.

Is it what to look for ?

Mickal

Last edited:

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
a ruber hose crack or a loose clamp?
Could be either, look for oil staining at joits or on hoses or signs of splits/perishing on hoses.

got display for Boost, Load, speed and accel on the same screen.

Is it what to look for ?

Mickal
Watch Boost and slowly accelerate to increase figure, if turbo always drops out above same figure then suspect a leak. Obviously stop and reset ignition before trying again!

Keith.

dodge sprinter 2500 year 2006

last winter when they change the alternator, when pickup the van i had no turbo. they wiggle some wire and got turbo back.

now on highway i lose turbo, i stop and wiggle wire and got it back. but turbo stop again do the same thing.

when home, i wiggle the wires and those at the actuator also, and have turbo back in city driving and turbo don't shut off .

is it a turbo problem when stop and restart the engine to have turbo back?

also i hear a hissing sound and seem to come from turbo, higher the RPM more the hissing sound.

is it normal?

thank 's

Mickal
Instead of saying "no turbo" and "got turbo back", can you describe your actual symptoms? Your turbo isn't magically disappearing and reappearing- it's been bolted firmly to your engine the whole time. And it would be extremely unlikely for a turbocharger to fail intermittently.

Please describe what you are hearing, feeling, seeing, and/or smelling that is causing you concern.

mickal

take out a few rubber hoses and look at them, seem OK, but the one at the resonator look a little dirty.

retighten all them, and try on highway (only once) where no traffic and don't loos turbo power, but feel some little jerk at 126 KPM.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
If you can get to 126 kpm (?? do you mean speed: kph , or pressure: kilopascals??) speed, then your turbo is working.

When my turbo quits, i'm limited to about 100 kph (i suppose i could go higher, but why?)

It helps if you have a tool like a scangauge that can report turbo pressure as you drive.

Externally "dirty" (baked-on oil) was my first clue of a resonator leak (long before the turbo started stopping) ... it was spraying the compressed air against the back of the radiator.

--dick

...and try on highway (only once) where no traffic and don't loos turbo power, but feel some little jerk at 126 KPM.
You may have been feeling a sonic boom.

You should not travel 126kpm (4,725mph) on public highways, even if there is no traffic. :thumbup:

mickal

was still losing turbo power after looking at rubber hose for crack and retited the clamps.

after well spray contact cleaner at all the connectors, it solved my problems.

never lose power after many thousands of kilometers.

was still losing turbo power after looking at rubber hose for crack and retited the clamps.

after well spray contact cleaner at all the connectors, it solved my problems.

never lose power after many thousands of kilometers.

The difference between a good user of the forums and a bad one is that a good user always says how he resolved the fault, congratulations and thanks.

Top Bottom