Removing T1N Headliner

Garandman

Another owner asked on the FaceBook T1N forum about specific instructions for removing the T1N headliner. There are plenty of later generation videos on YouTube, but he did not find any specific to the first gen. As I'm starting the insulation process, took some pictures.

There may be easier ways to do this: but this is how we approached it.

Tools required:

• T20 driver.
  • Trim removal tool or similar.

Last edited:

Garandman

Remove the side foam pieces: you can wiggle them out and up. Here's how they are retained.

Last edited:

Garandman

Pull out the top of the plastic trim pieces on each side. They do not have to be removed: just pull them away from the door.

Pull off the plastic trim pieces on the A pillars, and pull the rubber gasket down off the headliner.

I then removed the foam pieces on the A pillar (T20 / 4 screws). That might not be necessary but they are pretty fragile.

Last edited:

Garandman

No picture but there are four plastic fasteners on the back edge of the headliner, holding it to the support rib. Pop those.

Pull out the interior lamp, and disconnect the pigtail.

Remove the passenger handle, or if not present, the plugs.

Using your T20 driver, remove four screws each for the sun visors.

Last edited:

Garandman

Pull the front of the headliner down.

Then pull the back of the headliner inside the plastic trim, and the foam pieces. Pulling it down makes it easier.

Garandman

Once that's done, the roof and wiring are exposed. This is the standard roof version. There isn't much sound deadening material

And if it's a 13yo work van like mine, there are also some minor biology experiments going on that will need cleanup.

Going to add some Butyl sound deadening, then fill the area with Thinsulate. But I'm going to glue in the Thinsulate in pieces to make sure we have ready access to the wiring in future.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Photo essay is greatly appreciated....
No picture but there are four plastic fasteners on the back edge of the headliner, holding it to the support rib. Pop those.
Drat ... specifically one of the items i was hoping for...

Using your T20 driver, remove four screws each for the headrests.
I think you meant to write "sun visors" there.

--dick

Garandman

Thanks, fixed the sun visors.

If you stick any lever in the back of the liner and pull down, the clips will pop open.

Lojack72

'02 DIY adventure van, 300K miles (210K by me)
Yes it will. My '02 had an aftermarket conversion, in the latest renovation pulled a used headliner from a salvage FedEx Sprinter. It was tight, but possible.

quillaja

2004 2500 140WB high roof
I think the partition shouldn't affect this, other than perhaps making it more of a pain in the butt. My 2004 has metal partition thing at head level (looks like the top part of a full partition), and removed my headliner in the same way as the write up.

I bought some of the plastic fasteners before-hand, knowing I'd break them (or that they'd be pre-broken, saving me the effort of breaking them). Part number A0089880978. Got a 10 or 20 pack on ebay for $5-10.

MikeSandford

I just followed these instructions on a high top with the top portion of a partition wall still in. I needed to use a right-angle trim tool to pop the rear four fasteners. I also found that taking the rearview mirror off made it much easier to lower the headliner down enough to move it out under the partition top.

Fletch9871

Here was my solution to the clips, which drove me nuts.

Keep Rolling...Chris

Top Bottom