VS30 *MODS* by Van Compass

keepmoving

Thanks, Mark. So when the error comes up, how do you clear it? Just turn off motor? Or just turn off cruise and turn it back on again? Because if it’s just a matter of turning cruise off and resetting the speed, I can live with that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will sometimes reset if the van sits for 30min. Sometimes the fault stays till the speed sensor and GPS readings are within in the margin of error range.

keepmoving

Mark - So I take it the width of the tire is also an issue. Correct?
I just got confirmation from Agile that they have been running 275/70/17 without issues. Slightly smaller width and overall diameter than the 285/70/17.

Diameter is the problem. The wheel speed being different than normal vs. the factory 245/75/16 tire.

If you don't have GPS and distronic you can run 35s.

Mark - So still confused. A 275 x 70 tire has a 33.2” diameter with a 10.8” width. A true 33 x 12.5 tire is shorter and wider than the 275 x 70. So why wouldn’t a 33 x 12.5 work? Thanks in advance for the explaination.

sprintguy

16+ yrs Master Commercial technician
Here is my thought on the issue,
In ESP the vehicle measures the amount of rotation per mile of the tires and gear ratio. After a calculated number of miles have elapsed the ESP and other modules compare travel distance by tire circumference and gear ratio. When the calculated values do not match the modules on board that are controlling these functions the controller looses rationality due to programming . Pretty much the Dart is no longer on the dart board, because all modules only know whats programmed. The module can no longer calculate the anomaly thus disabling the system which it controls.
Changing tire size enough to effect axle gear ratio will not only disable some of the safety system , enough change could disable the forward movement of the vehicle. The 722.9 transmission controller checks output shaft speed to wheel speed for total drive ratio, then compares to the other speed sensors in the transmission to detect gear slip . too much change= TCM in LHM

Carl

HRvan

We will still be able to a 2" lift the van. We will need to see if we can get our hands on a van with rear a/c to see if we can move the lines or modify the mounting brackets for the front shock kits. Agile told us about the issue with the a/c lines as they use a lot of our front shock kits. John told me he would just be doing the coil kit on these vans till there is a solution.
Not all 2019 4x4 passenger vans with rear A/C have the issue with the A/C lines in the passenger side wheel well. Mine does not, confirmed with Mark.

Stage 2 suspension upgrade order on its way!

P

Patrick walsh

I also spoke with Agile at length about this last week.

It was my understanding “and maybe I misunderstood” that they could get 275/70/17 with their ride improvement kit tat generally lifts the vehicle about 1.5”.

As t was explained there are censors in front of the tire or “radar” these radars are very specific with regard to angle and aspect to the center of the tire. As suggested the censor calculated revolutions with miles so forth and so on and comes up with a algorithm that relates to specific parameters the vehicle is programmed to identify.

Imop it’s all kinda a bummer. I’m on the fence. The features tied to these radars or sensors are in some ways neat and or slick. But you know in many ways I’m a purist I like a vehicle to be as simple as possible all metal, gears fluids and as few electronics as possible. Electronics generally just fail and when they do they are expensive. In this case electronics seem to be limiting the real potential of this vehicle as least with regard to off road. Yes I get it’s a van and it will never be a rock crawler.

The whole thing reminds me of when I was a kid and into BMW’s. The M3 was obviously the pinnacle. I think it it was between 1995-1996 or just early 95 to late 95 that BMW changed something electronically that made the earlier car highly modifiable and the later one very limited. Imop the E36 M3 was the last real M3. After the E36 after electronics took over. The e30 M3 was and imop is still the best M3 and a real street legal race car. Even e36 was shameful at the time.

I can’t help being new to these sprinters that depending on your intended use the pre 2019 may be better for many.

I just got confirmation from Agile that they have been running 275/70/17 without issues. Slightly smaller width and overall diameter than the 285/70/17.

Diameter is the problem. The wheel speed being different than normal vs. the factory 245/75/16 tire.

If you don't have GPS and distronic you can run 35s.

Last edited by a moderator:

mdbrown

Not all 2019 4x4 passenger vans with rear A/C have the issue with the A/C lines in the passenger side wheel well. Mine does not, confirmed with Mark.

Stage 2 suspension upgrade order on its way!
Do you have the standard rear AC or the heavy duty rear AC?

OffroadHamster

Bet MB would not warranty a propeller shaft, differential or transmission failure after doing lift. Probably not on any suspension items either.
I know for a fact they will warranty factory struts even after 33" tires and VC add a shock up front. Depends on dealer I suppose. Laguna Niguel has replaced 3 struts for me, and two top hats. Last time the guy said "I think you might be subjecting your van to more than it was designed for" I said "Born to Run, no one said how fast"

FlaJoe

Here is my thought on the issue,
In ESP the vehicle measures the amount of rotation per mile of the tires and gear ratio. After a calculated number of miles have elapsed the ESP and other modules compare travel distance by tire circumference and gear ratio. When the calculated values do not match the modules on board that are controlling these functions the controller looses rationality due to programming . Pretty much the Dart is no longer on the dart board, because all modules only know whats programmed. The module can no longer calculate the anomaly thus disabling the system which it controls.
Changing tire size enough to effect axle gear ratio will not only disable some of the safety system , enough change could disable the forward movement of the vehicle. The 722.9 transmission controller checks output shaft speed to wheel speed for total drive ratio, then compares to the other speed sensors in the transmission to detect gear slip . too much change= TCM in LHM

Carl
Given the above and what Agile and others are saying, it appears the 275/70/17 has been tested and is working. Given the quote above, I am understanding that the system tests and reconciles at a given mileage and that it doesn’t accumulate such that the smaller (but larger than stock) tire speed variance does not accumulate and become a problem at greater distance. As I understand, the 285s became an issue at 300 miles. My question is, that a 275 that works at 300 won’t become a problem at 400, for example?

wquek

Work in progress
In the user manual it states there is an ability for the computer to be coded for three different wheel size categories. I am curious to see what category are set on the vehicles Vancompass and Agile has worked on. Looks like category 3 allows for a 30.59” tire. Anyone tried these settings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlaJoe

The 2019 manual mentions on page 298 245/75/16s and 285/65/16, respectively 30.47" and 30.59", which is a .12" or .4% difference. A 275/70/17 (32.16") versus 285/65/16 is a 1.57" or 5.1% difference. On page 312 of the 2019 manual it suggests the dealer must change the coding. Apparently there is a range of tolerance that does not appear in the manual.

Top Bottom