Service Manual

I have a 2016 NCV3, 2500, 4wd, 3.0L, V6 engine, USA vehicle. I had the dealership do the first A service, but I'll be performing future services. Any suggestions for the best source for a service manual for regular maintenance work? I'm not interested in a service manual that covers major component repair- just the service intervals, instructions, and parts or fluid specifications for the service work per Mercedes instructions. Proper procedure for engine oil and filter change, fuel filter change, air filter, etc. The manual that the vehicle came with has no details. I've quickly searched this forum and didn't readily find suggestions for this, but I'm sure it's here somewhere. I've maintained, and repaired, our fleet of heavy equipment and service trucks for over thirty years, but I want to make sure I don't miss any particulars that are specific to this vehicle.

Any suggestions for MB service manual or links on this subject in the forum would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

D

Deleted member 50714

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
I was still hoping to find a manual that just covered regular maintenance tasks, or at least was indexed so one could easily find regularly scheduled maintenance, for just the NCV3 2016 model years. All the other years and information is great, but sometimes it can be misleading and confusing if it doesn't apply to your specific year, model, and engine. I don't want all the surplus information, like the wiring diagram that is referred to. For example, the link to that huge file didn't have the basic procedure for changing the oil on the 3.0L V6, It has other older engines, but not the current on that I could see. Somewhere there must be the standard service manual for my specific vehicle, be it on a CD, printed, pay for or free, or on line. This seems like pretty standard stuff to me- I have it for several motorcycles (even the BMW's), an Audi, Toyota trucks, Dodge 3500 and 5500 service trucks, Chevy trucks, etc- some on CD, some printed, others came with the manuals when the vehicles were new. The owners manual with the van just says "see qualified dealer" for this service.

Does anyone know of such a manual, or is there one available for purchase from MB?

Thanks for any advice.

D

Deleted member 50714

I was still hoping to find a manual that just covered regular maintenance tasks, or at least was indexed so one could easily find regularly scheduled maintenance, for just the NCV3 2016 model years. All the other years and information is great, but sometimes it can be misleading and confusing if it doesn't apply to your specific year, model, and engine. I don't want all the surplus information, like the wiring diagram that is referred to. For example, the link to that huge file didn't have the basic procedure for changing the oil on the 3.0L V6, It has other older engines, but not the current on that I could see. Somewhere there must be the standard service manual for my specific vehicle, be it on a CD, printed, pay for or free, or on line. This seems like pretty standard stuff to me- I have it for several motorcycles (even the BMW's), an Audi, Toyota trucks, Dodge 3500 and 5500 service trucks, Chevy trucks, etc- some on CD, some printed, others came with the manuals when the vehicles were new. The owners manual with the van just says "see qualified dealer" for this service.

Does anyone know of such a manual, or is there one available for purchase from MB?

Thanks for any advice.
Five years ago, I sought the same and still looking. IMHO, WIS, in conjunction with experience on this form is the da Cream Royale.

The Ultimate Service Tool, Workshop Information Service or WIS. (Less expensive CD versions are available.) Mo info here. https://sprintermanual.com/shop/sprinter-ultimate-service-tool-version-5-1-1995-2018/

I recommend strongly that you read the owner's manual as it is pregnant with little nuggets of valuable info. For example, how to operate the vehicle for optimum efficiency.

Bob,

I'm finding that there isn't really available what I'm looking for. Thanks for the link to the USB service manual, I'll likely just buy it. I couldn't readily find a CD version that you refer to. Where did you find it?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 50714

Bob,

I'm finding that there isn't really available what I'm looking for. Thanks for the link to the USB service manual, I'll likely just buy it. I couldn't readily find a CD version that you refer to. Where did you find it?

Thanks
I believe on eBay. Some members have reported installation success, some not. something to do with multiple CDs. If you're computer savvy, the CD's shouldn't be a problem.

Other than other fluid/filter checks and changes, most "preventive maintenance" are inspections.

Last edited by a moderator:

showkey

If you choose the CD system:

The CDs install the program and the data on the hard drive.......Once the CD are installed they are no longer used.

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
A frequent problem with the CD (DVDs ? i forget) kit was that (at least) one of them would be a bad CD.
Then there's a (fairly rapid) go-around with the vendor, and he puts a copy of the CD image on-line, and sends you a link.
You download that 700 megabyte image, burn it on a CD (or were they DVDs?) and re-try the installation.

The first chunk of the installation is a program that reads all of the CDs and glues them together into one big 64 gig file on your PC.
THEN the actual installation starts. If you get the USB stick version, the "glue together" has already been done.

The package is a Windows 98 virtual machine, plus the official MB WIS/EPC system.
It probably will tell you how to change the oil (but may not have the quantity to use).
WIS = workshop information system, EPC = electronic parts catalog (somewhat keyed to your VIN)

--dick

2016 with aprox. 18K miles on it. I did the A service at 1.5yrs and 8,500 miles. I'll do the second service between now and 20K.

D

Deleted member 50714

I think it took an hour, hour and a half to install mine. Isn't the file size something like 75 gigs?

Thanks to all who responded. I'll likely just buy the WIS USB. In the big picture it's a small price to have accurate information.

D

Deleted member 50714

2016 with aprox. 18K miles on it. I did the A service at 1.5yrs and 8,500 miles. I'll do the second service between now and 20K.
I asked because an often overlooked maintenance item is retorquing Rear end U-bolts.

D

Deleted member 50714

Yes, usually U bolts are an initial check on trucks. Though I have yet to ever find one that is under torqued.
We're they (trucks) Sprinters?

A forum member, employed as a technician at a Mercedes dealership, related to me that every Sprinter that he has checked had loose U-bolts. Besides, it's a ONE TIME, quick, inexpensive and easy preventive maintenance task.

Just sharing what I believe to beneficial information.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The "check U-bolts at first oil change (Service A)" has been "on the books" since the T1N (1999 and newer).
...and many were found to be loose.

Folks who didn't check them sometimes ended up with the rear axle no longer being parallel to the front, and the locator pin (into a hole in the leaf spring) sheared off.

--dick

D

Deleted member 50714

And ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Top Bottom