Espar D2L with Easy Start Pro Controller Wiring Diagram

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
Looks like you have discovered an even better adaptor than your one in post #4. I hunted down one like in post #4 from your advice. I like the looks of these better. Had to soak the other in hot water to get it go onto the Dorman connector. It worked. Do you know why the wire harnesses are so different? I ordered mine through Heatso.com with a Easy Start Pro controller.
I don't order my stuff from overseas...it can affect warranty on a very expensive system and everything I get from esparparts.com they will support and I can be assured its covered under warranty. They also are an installer and service the heaters as well so they understand importance of having the right parts. The kits I have seen people source over seas or on ebay...are often totally different (few I have installed). For the most part I don't install a system unless I source the parts myself here in USA. I also appreciate the fact I can support a business in USA. They actually found this adapter for me as they listened to my feedback and did some searching and sent samples for me to look at.

Coolmaxt

I just got my espar d2l kit today.one of the hoses that are included in the kit IS an adapter to go from the smaller sized fuel pump to the larger fuel line coming out of the tank. The connecting hose has a small hole on one side and a larger hole on the other. It also fits on a dorman quick connect. No need for any extra adapter.

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
I just got my espar d2l kit today.one of the hoses that are included in the kit IS an adapter to go from the smaller sized fuel pump to the larger fuel line coming out of the tank. The connecting hose has a small hole on one side and a larger hole on the other. It also fits on a dorman quick connect. No need for any extra adapter.
If you order from ESPARPARTS.COM....they include it in their "sprinter" kit...thanks to me. :) I helped them figure this all out. You won't get the adaptor otherwise if your order from ebay, amazon...

nuhu

I ordered the fuel line adapter part 22.1000.20.3000 from EsparParts.com. They were great to deal with. The Dorman 800-188 fits nicely in one end. Then, the hard plastic line from Espar fits into the other end, toward the fuel pump.

My wiring looks a little different than some of the photos and descriptions here. I didn't need to install or move a resistor, unless I did something wrong.

The wiring harness from the Easy Start Pro Controller has two plugs:
  • plug -XS1 with 4 pins to connect to the D2L heater, and
  • plug -XS2 with 3 pins to connect to an optional external temperature sensor (according to the instructions).

The wiring harness from the D2L heater has a few different a plugs or wire leads:
  • red (+12V battery, 12 AWG), brown (ground, 12 AWG), red (+12V battery, ~18 AWG) that I connected to Blue Seas fuse box (mine is mounted under driver seat).
  • plug -XB6/1 was already pre-connected to a terminator plug -XS6/1 with a resistor. I think that -XB6/1 is for connecting a diagnostic tool. The terminator plug is connected for normal operation. This plug was wrapped close to the battery and ground wires. I started to unwrap, but found them spliced fairly near the end of the battery and ground wires. I decided to leave it that way, and just zip-tied the -XB6/1 plug under the driver seat near the Blue Seas fuse box. See attached photo.
  • plug -XB2 with 2 pins to connect to the fuel pump. Brown and Gray wires with pre-crimped terminal plugs are inserted into -XB2.
  • plug -XB6/4 with 4 pins to connect to -XS1 from the Easy Start Pro Controller
  • I think 4 extra wires that I found unused that were wrapped with the wires for the -XB6/4. I plan to put some shrink wrap over the bare ends. The wiring diagram marked these with an "x" to indicate they may not be necessary. I think they may be for connecting to a different type of controller.

Attachments

nuhu

This controller has a built in high altitude switch and much less wiring compared to the older controller. You do however have to tell it to "switch" to high altitude when started.
I didn't notice anything in the Easy Start Pro Controller to enable "high altitude mode". Nothing is mentioned in the installation instructions (reference 22.1000.35.2203.0A EN | 04.2019) Was this in the initial setup sequence? Or, do you mean you need to switch to high altitude each time the heater is turned on?

One setting that I did not understand in the initial setup is the "Temperature Offset". The instructions describe the setting as:
If the temperature display sensor of the control unit or heater (with air heaters) is defined as display sensor, the temperature offset of the display sensor can be defined in the next step.
I haven't been able to figure out the purpose of this temperature offset setting or what exactly it does.

Hi
Reviving this old thread to ask a few questions.
I purchased my S2 out of Canada and received the Commercial unit. I have it mostly hooked up but have a few questions on the wiring harness.
(photo re-used from this post)

Questions
- Power Cable - Can I hook up to any post in the F150? I currently have it hooked up to A1
- What are these cables for that I marked with a ???
- My power cable came with a 20 amp and 15 amp fuse but only room in the box for one fuse. Where does the other fuse go? I used the 20amp and now have the 15amp needing a home
- Almost every video I've watched has a big red cable and a little red cable. The little red cable goes into a 5 amp fuse. Do I need this? I don't see any little red cable and I didn't receive a 5amp fuse either.

Thanks!

Hi
Reviving this old thread to ask a few questions.
I purchased my S2 out of Canada and received the Commercial unit. I have it mostly hooked up but have a few questions on the wiring harness.
(photo re-used from this post)

Questions
- Power Cable - Can I hook up to any post in the F150? I currently have it hooked up to A1
- What are these cables for that I marked with a ???
- My power cable came with a 20 amp and 15 amp fuse but only room in the box for one fuse. Where does the other fuse go? I used the 20amp and now have the 15amp needing a home
- Almost every video I've watched has a big red cable and a little red cable. The little red cable goes into a 5 amp fuse. Do I need this? I don't see any little red cable and I didn't receive a 5amp fuse either.

Thanks!
Alright - got everything wrapped up yesterday and fired it up. The S2 blew cold air for the first 10 minutes and then the hot air kicked in. It worked perfect!

So to follow up
- I never ended up using that other cable - I just wrapped it up and left it under the seat.
- Never used the 15amp fuse - just the 20amp
- I am not using a little red cable

Thanks everyone for the great write-ups and tips and tricks. It was a bit daunting trying to undertake this but it ended up being really easy. I completed the whole install in less than 8 hours (that included 3 trips to the hardware store and numerous Youtube watching and reading through this forum.)

:cheers:

bmorejamie

This thread has already been so helpful, thanks for the wiring diagram, I wouldn't have figured out that you needed to move that resistor.

Wondering if you can help me figure out the power situation on my wiring harness though. I have the new Espar S2 D2L but my wiring harness looks a little different than every tutorial / video I've seen online so far - even ones for the S2 D2L :idunno: It also seems different than the wiring diagram in the manual but I'm not super familiar with reading electrical diagrams.

This is the whole wiring harness: View attachment 120641 View attachment 120643

I'm confused about the power situation because all installs I've seen have had a large red (20a fuse), large black, and a small red wire (5a fuse). But this harness has two groupings of long wires: (1) ends in a large red and large brown View attachment 120644 - it would seem these would be the positive and negative and fuse red with 20a? and (2) a grouping of yellow, redwhite, bluewhite, brownwhite, greyred, and red (is this the small red wire that's in everyone's install videos??) View attachment 120642.

What's throwing me off is this 3a fuse block coming from the main harness View attachment 120645

Any help would be super appreciated. I'm assuming that this is the "simplified wiring harness" discussed and maybe I'm overcomplicating things. FYI it did also come with an inline fuse with 15a and 20a fuses.

Is this what your S2 D2L harness looked like?
Did you ever get this figured out? I have the same wiring harness with mine and I'm stuck. Any help would be most appreciated.

Nate

slamit, Thanks for that PDF. It was very helpful for my install with the EasyStart Pro Controller.

The bundle of 6 wires that don't get used almost threw me for a loop.

Serapis Sprinter, that picture you posted was worth a thousand words.

Thanks for all the help from everyone in this thread

warx

Yes thank you! All the PDFs I had pulled previosly showed somehow connecting to free ends of the S2 loom rather than using the canbus connector already wired. I actually (dumbly) went ahead and pulled that multicore through my already-finished walled van only to realize that I had to rip it out and pull the four core canbus cable that came with the EasyStart Pro. urgh. I think I've removed my b-pillar cover 10 times now...

First try it said "No Heater" but after disconnecting and reconnecting is worked fine. No idea why. My final hurdle was a diesel leak at the heater entry. The fuel-in pipe is smaller than the plastic fuel line so really needed cinching up to the point the supplied clips did not have anymore thread.

Godsil

This thread has already been so helpful, thanks for the wiring diagram, I wouldn't have figured out that you needed to move that resistor.

Wondering if you can help me figure out the power situation on my wiring harness though. I have the new Espar S2 D2L but my wiring harness looks a little different than every tutorial / video I've seen online so far - even ones for the S2 D2L :idunno: It also seems different than the wiring diagram in the manual but I'm not super familiar with reading electrical diagrams.

This is the whole wiring harness: View attachment 120641 View attachment 120643

I'm confused about the power situation because all installs I've seen have had a large red (20a fuse), large black, and a small red wire (5a fuse). But this harness has two groupings of long wires: (1) ends in a large red and large brown View attachment 120644 - it would seem these would be the positive and negative and fuse red with 20a? and (2) a grouping of yellow, redwhite, bluewhite, brownwhite, greyred, and red (is this the small red wire that's in everyone's install videos??) View attachment 120642.

What's throwing me off is this 3a fuse block coming from the main harness View attachment 120645

Any help would be super appreciated. I'm assuming that this is the "simplified wiring harness" discussed and maybe I'm overcomplicating things. FYI it did also come with an inline fuse with 15a and 20a fuses.

Is this what your S2 D2L harness looked like?
My wiring harness is the same as yours. I can't figure out the fuse situation. Did you have any luck with this? Thanks

The_Mitch

View attachment 155967
Yes, that is what it looks like. See the image above on how everything goes together visually. Sounds like you have the exact harness as shown.
Not sure on that 3amp fuse (maybe it is a new addition to the install kits) but it is likely for the fuel pump if it is on the wire bundle.
This is awesome! Why couldn't I find this last week when I was pulling out my hair saying "there can't be this many unused wires!!" and also "why does my harness not look like ANYONE ELSES online or in the manuals?!?"

shadowdetails

Here is a question that I can't find a thread for...

I just installed an D5S3e Coolant Heater and an EasyStart Pro and it works great, but I have to manually turn on the heat-exchanger/fan that I have connected into the system to warm the rear of the van. The advert for the Pro controller says that it can control a connected fan, but I cannot locate any installation documentation. Anyone done this?

dan.lewispv

I am probing the same question; but without clean solution yet. I purchased unit from Heatso but don't have solution from them.

islandsprinter

Yes, that is what it looks like. See the image above on how everything goes together visually. Sounds like you have the exact harness as shown.
Not sure on that 3amp fuse (maybe it is a new addition to the install kits) but it is likely for the fuel pump if it is on the wire bundle.
HELP! I really appreciate this photo/diagram. This is the harness that I have and I'm having trouble figuring out where to pick up power under my 2006 T1N Driver Seat. I was planning on using the battery power on the terminal block (as in this photo https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php?attachments/93027/) however on our van the red wire supplying the block is smaller gauge than the red wire on the harness and the contact is too large (see photo it would touch/bridge the adjacent terminal if fastened). I have also attached a photo of the wiring in the pedestal What is the best solution to get power under there??

This is the last step to getting this thing (and the van) running, thanks in advance for the support!
LUKE

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_8c40.jpg

Attachments

BLKnYLO

I thought I would post this as I am up fitting/improving on the Sportsmobile build I am doing currently which includes the new Espar D2L and Pro Controller. This controller has a built in high altitude switch and much less wiring compared to the older controller. You do however have to tell it to "switch" to high altitude when started. The controller however has built in diagnostic and the fan on the heater has higher use life. The other parts of the installation are pretty straight forward like the other models; (fuel, power). Its basically 4 wires/pins and a resistor (they ship with) you deal with outside of the power and fuel. The pump as well is quieter. The installs for these heaters are more than covered enough on the web with many examples so that won't be covered in this thread.

View attachment 113832
Just did my espar install last weekend. Can you elaborate on the high altitude, and "switching it on" via the controller. I hadn't come across this in the documentation

Top Bottom