Coolant change silly mistake

deanlai

Hey everyone!

So I just did a full coolant flush on my 2006 T1N. Everything went as planned thanks to sikwan’s write up but right at the very end and last top off a very unfortunate event happened and I want your guys opinion before I start her up.

I was emptying the dregs of the second gallon of coolant and...into the reservoir went that little piece of foil seal that’s on the coolant bottle when you first open it. Yes yes, you may berate me for a paragraph about how I shouldn’t have placed said foil in the cap then replaced the cap without looking, but I’m well aware how serious this mistake could be and I’m looking for solutions.

I assume if I start the engineer that pice of foil will be sucked through the engine, radiator, water pump, etc. and get lodged somewhere and be a much bigger issue than it currently is sitting in the reservoir. I searched with a light and it’s not visible through the top of the reservoir and does not appear to be floating. Any idea what the best course of action is here?

Thanks a bunch!

Sean

D

Deleted member 50714

Evacuate reservoir contents and retrieve MOOP. (Matter out of place) before it causes FOD (Fireign Object Damage).

Prior to that, you can try blind stabs with nipple teasers...I mean mechanical pick-up fingers. Blue plastic with magnets at the end can be removed to avoid dropping into the reservoir.

Attachments

deanlai

You’re a goddamn life saver. Had to siphon about a gallon out of the reservoir and my mouth tastes reminiscent of grapefruit juice from oh so delicious ethylene glycol, but your little toy worked great.

There seem to be metal flecks in the bottle of them reservoir. Is this common?

Thanks again!

Attachments

D

Deleted member 50714

How long have you owned the vehicle? Metal flakes or remnants from radiator stop leak additive? Maybe your system needs more flushing? Verify proper coolant specifications for your vehicle.

D

Deleted member 50714

You’re a goddamn life saver. Had to siphon about a gallon out of the reservoir and my mouth tastes reminiscent of grapefruit juice from oh so delicious ethylene glycol, but your little toy worked great.

There seem to be metal flecks in the bottle of them reservoir. Is this common?

Thanks again!
I understand it only takes a couple of teaspoons of undiluted antifreeze to cause death.

D

Deleted member 50714

I don't believe that's a mistake you are likely to repeat anytime soon. Good job!!!

MOOP BAD DON'T LITTER!!!

deanlai

How long have you owned the vehicle? Metal flakes or remnants from radiator stop leak additive? Maybe your system needs more flushing? Verify proper coolant specifications for your vehicle.
I’ve owned it for two years and never did the coolant till now. My reservoir has a hairline crack that I fixed with JB weld and I topped it off with maybe 12oz of regular prestone coolant I got at the auto parts store nearest to where I happened to be out on the road at the time. It wasn’t until about a year later that I realized I had put the wrong stuff in which is what prompted this flush. It could also be stop leak from one of the previous owners. What does stop leak additive look like? There wasn’t much there, maybe 3 grains of rice worth, and it was still wet. Heavier larger pieces that were maybe half a millimeter were settled at the bottom and there’s some sparkly dust I could see when the coolant had some movement.

I haven’t had overheating issues since I’ve owned it. It sits around 185-190 unless it’s hot out. Long climbs in warm weather at 80% load in 4th nearing 3k rpm that spike it to 212 sometimes.

Bob gave some great advice to use the claw. :thumbup:

Small bits of unknown stuff... everything is running well... be careful that in your quest for vehicle Nirvana you don't jump over to the dark side.

The newest T1N's are now 13 years old. Some odd particles are not necessarily cause for alarm.

:2cents: vic

D

Deleted member 50714

Doesn't sound like stop leak. If you want to do a Super Duper flush do another flush in a couple of oil changes. Don't allow dogs around anti-freeze.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 50714

Our threads crossed Vic.

I agree, no cause for alarm, I can be OCD about stuff.

By the way, when's last time you cleaned your cooling stack? That's certainly a worthwhile, inexpensive and easy preventive maintenance task. Check for spongy coolant hoses, etc while hot. How about a new radiator cap, when's last time it's got a new radiator cap? Same for thermostat?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think twice about the seal of JB on a pressurized tank that seems to be HDPE. I tested mine w/ crazy glue, no bond.
I was going to tap in a hose connection.

Top Bottom