What did your Sprinter do to you today?

Jan M

Sorry, I just couldn't resist the title :)

Actually it was a week ago - I was climbing on a ladder leaning over the roof while measuring the space for solar panels (on our Westfalia James Cook) when the ladder suddenly disappeared. While falling down I had time to think that this was bad. The stonelaid driveway met my right foot with a loud "crunch, crack and snap" and my spine also made some strange sound before my body halted flat to the driveway. For what felt as minutes I couldn't breathe, scream or move. The pain was overwhelming and I fainted (thank god I had put myself in a recovery position the second before). I was still alone when I woke up several minutes later but found that my mobile phone in my pocket was still working and called 911. Within six minutes both an ambulance and helicopter arrived. 20 minutes later they rolled me into intensive care at the hospital - very impressed and thankful for our great health care.

Right now I'm waiting for surgery on my right foot. It is completely crushed at the heel so they have to rebuild it with screws and plates. Function will never be like before but the only other option is amputation. Ugh. After surgery it will take several months, maybe as long as a year, before I can walk without assistance. Some kind of special designed shoe insert will make walking easier and probably some special brand of shoes. Any advice is much appreciated. My goal is to be able to hike in the mountains again. Hopefully I still can accomplish the "Machu Picchu" trail that has been on my bucket list for several years.

My spine suffered from a crushed vertebral that obviously will heal by itself within 6-12 months. Pure luck nothing worse happened to it.

I'm so happy that it wasn't my head that first hit the driveway. If so I wouldn't be writing here today.

Take care everybody!

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder
Whew. Good luck on your recovery.

I imagine that there will be a few more stories added by others to your thread.

I tend to keep my cellphone in my pocket even while traveling in a vehicle. In case of an emergency I figure it is best to have it stay with me as opposed to launching itself to who knows where.

We're very fortunate to have the various modern communication and health technologies available to us now.

:cheers: vic

Last edited:

Boxster1971

2012 Sprinter 3500 Ext
JAN M - wishing you a speedy recovery. Thank you for the reminder of how dangerous it can be to get on a ladder. I was just up on a ladder to work on the A/C unit on roof of my Airstream Interstate. I was being very cautious as a fall from just 6' on a concrete driveway would be a disaster in my 7th decade.

Boxster1971

2012 Sprinter 3500 Ext
In keeping with the spirit of this threads title I got a minor injury from my Sprinter during one of my first camping trips. I had the front seats turned around on their swivels. I managed to gash my shin on the sharp edges of the exposed passenger seat frame with the seat slide back. Still have a 2" scar from the injury. I added some padding to those edges using foam pipe insulation.

canyoneer

2017 144 High Roof
In keeping with the spirit of this threads title I got a minor injury from my Sprinter during one of my first camping trips. I had the front seats turned around on their swivels. I managed to gash my shin on the sharp edges of the exposed passenger seat frame with the seat slide back. Still have a 2" scar from the injury. I added some padding to those edges using foam pipe insulation.
Wow, timely of you to bring this up. I also got scratched up by those tracks. I just got finished painting several coats of Plasti-Dip on all the sharp edges, including the front edge of the tracks, which cause the same thing when entering the cab with the seats slid back.

Boxster1971

2012 Sprinter 3500 Ext
Wow, timely of you to bring this up. I also got scratched up by those tracks. I just got finished painting several coats of Plasti-Dip on all the sharp edges, including the front edge of the tracks, which cause the same thing when entering the cab with the seats slid back.
Just saw the same swivel seat foam pipe insulation fix in some photos of a cabbunk installation on the Airstream forum. Obviously a very common problem.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240/cabbunk-197313.html#post2257683

Jan M

Thanks all. I've just returned home after surgery - I had to wait a long time because the foot was way to swollen. They have put in eight screws and three plates in my heel to keep things together. Seems like they've done a great job. Now I'm on sick leave for at least eight more weeks - perhaps I can return to work a little earlier if transportation can be arranged. Good thing I work at an office as I'm not allowed to put any pressure at all on the foot and have to keep it in a high position.

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder
Thanks all. I've just returned home after surgery - I had to wait a long time because the foot was way to swollen. They have put in eight screws and three plates in my heel to keep things together. Seems like they've done a great job. ...
Good to hear you're on the road to recovery. :thumbup:

I trust that Jfreeth won't mind me adding what his Sprinter did to him.

Progress and a question;
So, reinstalling the intercooler the bolt clamping the transmission fluid down tube to the firewall end bolt got slightly cross threaded. For me that's a stretch, chest/tummy resting on padding then my feet slipped, 'pop', freaking pain, hard to breath...

Turns out I dislocated a rib, who knew that was possible. Anyway, next day after x-rays etc, nothing busted, so carefully get back to work chasing that thread. Get to the last bolts securing the input flange to just below where the EGR valve sits, ...

As for the ribs, remember they are connected to your sternum by cartilage. Easily pushed out of place by MV repairs in tight spaces!
Occupational hazard .
Dennis
:cheers: vic

Bobnoxious

Made in the USA Qualité Supérieure
Damn door handles keep pinching me delicate fingers. I like To meet who design them so I can kick them in the patootie.

JIB

Just read this Jan. Glad to hear you are out of the hospital and on your way back to recovery! Do well!

Jan M

I wonder who the ingenious engineer was at Daimler that designed the washer fluid reservoir cap. For the n:th time I managed to hurt a knuckle when trying to open it, leading to blood loss.

Top Bottom