LOOKING AT TRANSITS

flman

I was not ready to move out of my Sprinter in 2017, but I had to let her go. Anyways, so far so good with my Transit.

VanGoSki

Difference is between the starting price of a baseline cargo of $33,790 in current configurator and then selecting 4X4 powertrain as it also goes from a gas engine to a diesel. You cant get 4x4 with base gas engine in USA. See attached annoted screen grab from MB Sprinter build web page.
Irrelevant. No one said anything about switching engines. This is what he said.
I just added 4WD to a bare bones cargo and it cost $13,800.
And that price is factually wrong. The option price is $7800. Period.

The option is 7800, that is a fact. Sadly once you go to 4wd, the MSRP with the options usually goes up at minimum 10k-12k. Since MB will not come off this MSRP pricing bull crap, so a typical 38,000 sprinter with out 4wd, when adding the 7800 option, goes over 50k. That 7800 option ends up being more like 11-18k depending on what you want. I just went down this road for a week, I was trying to get a write off for 2019 and no dealerships with 4x4's on the lots would budge (there was an abundance), No warranty deals, no finance deals, no upfit deals, no maintenance deals, no MSRP deals, NOTHING. I had to walk away, my sneaky suspicion is in a year MB will begin dropping their pricing because the AWD transit sales are going to feast on MB's slow and ignorant stance. I did try to buy an AWD transit, and there were a few around I just couldn't make the options work, I love the ergonomics of the sprinter, but hate the price and lack of qualified techs in Vermont

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
Irrelevant. . . The option price is $7800. Period.
I agree the option is $7,800. All I was trying to do was explain how T town saw a $13,800 price increase compared to the base cargo van price.

This thread is about Ford Transits and drifted into comparing the Sprinter 4x4 and Transits AWD options. It is not irrelevant that Mercedes only sells the 4x4 option with the V-6 diesel. A lot of folks want a AWD with a gas engine. If so, your only choice is buying a Ford Transit.

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
^^ This nails my experience too. My sales guy was amazing and was willing to sell me a 4x4 for below MSRP, but he was able to negotiate on the RWD and provide both a cash back benefit as well as 0.9% financing on a RWD, making for a $14,200 difference in price not including the cheaper financing.

The Sprinter 4x4 is one expensive option, and is the only 4x4 system that can't shift on the fly, has no locking center diff, can't send 50/50 power to the wheels and makes noise and vibrates straight from the factory.

I agree the option is $7,800. All I was trying to do was explain how T town saw a $13,800 price increase compared to the base cargo van price.
Adding some options can force a buyer into another category.

I know that with the Promaster if you go from 2500 regular length to extended body it also puts you into a 3500. There is no extended body offered in the 2500 line.

"Promaster extended. I think I see the reason that the price goes up so much. Promaster doesn't offer an extended body until the 3500 model. To move up from the 2500 to extended you are changing 2 parameters. The length and the weight capacity (Weight capacity which you probably don't need and may make the ride harsher.). As you say. You have no choice. Model Lineup:
ProMaster 1500 Cargo Van 118-inch wheelbase low roof
ProMaster 1500 Cargo Van 136-inch wheelbase low roof
ProMaster 1500 Cargo Van 136-inch wheelbase high roof
ProMaster 2500 Cargo Van 136-inch wheelbase low roof
ProMaster 2500 Cargo Van 136-inch wheelbase high roof
ProMaster 2500 Cargo Van 159-inch wheelbase high roof
ProMaster 2500 Window Van 159-inch wheelbase high roof
ProMaster 3500 Cargo Van 136-inch wheelbase low roof
ProMaster 3500 Cargo Van 136-inch wheelbase high roof
ProMaster 3500 Cargo Van 159-inch wheelbase high roof
ProMaster 3500 Cargo Van 159-inch wheelbase high roof extended body
ProMaster 3500 Window Van 159-inch wheelbase high roof extended body"

But, back to the Ford Transit topic.

:cheers: vic

Mr M

MB website: cargo van start $33,790 + high roof 170 wheelbase $6400 + 4x4 $12,800 = $52,790

Ford website: cargo van start $34,510 + high roof extended $6745 + AWD $4695 = $45,950

This compares two roughly equivalent cargo van “shells” from MB and Ford, both having an AWD/4x4 option and clearly there is a significant price difference - I think relevant to the “Competition” sub-forum?

I don’t own either van - yet. Have tried to buy Sprinter for approx 1 year and got nothing but BS from dealers. Still thinking about the Sprinter but now also giving the Ford serious consideration.....it’s hard not to, even tho I am not a fan of Ford in general (then again, i’m not really a fan of MB either....why can’t Toyota make a van?).

... Still thinking about the Sprinter but now also giving the Ford serious consideration.....it’s hard not to, even tho I am not a fan of Ford in general (then again, i’m not really a fan of MB either....why can’t Toyota make a van?).
The Ford Transit is not really a traditional Detroit Iron Ford design, if that helps at all.

It is interesting that Toyota hasn't jumped into offering a larger Euro style van in N. America. Maybe they just don't feel that the market is worth pursuing?

:cheers: vic

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Toyota's commercial sales in the USA are not particularly large. Since the high roof vans tend to be focused on commercial uses, that may play a role in their decision.

Im less curious about toyota, (a company who won't put a 3/4 ton or more out in the US) and more interested why GM won't get in on the unibody tall van. I love their pickups and they have excellent motors available for the offering. Oh well.

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
Saw this under-view of the Transit AWD
https://youtu.be/2wwDETq_QSM

Transfer case is mounted considerably higher than Sprinter
The drivetrain isn't groaning in that video (aka Sprinter)
Front suspension is proper coil-on-strut vs fiberglass leaf of Sprinter
The front drivetrain is spinning even with little/no engine torque being applied. I'm not sure how the Sprinter would behave in this situation.
Rear shock mounts still low

Boxster1971

Saw this under-view of the Transit AWD
https://youtu.be/2wwDETq_QSM

Transfer case is mounted considerably higher than Sprinter
The drivetrain isn't groaning in that video (aka Sprinter)
Front suspension is proper coil-on-strut vs fiberglass leaf of Sprinter
The front drivetrain is spinning even with little/no engine torque being applied. I'm not sure how the Sprinter would behave in this situation.
Rear shock mounts still low
Saw the same video as it was posted on the Ford Transit USA forum - impressive. I've been reading that forum as I'm considering a Transit. But I was not impressed by all the brake issues being reported by owners.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Saw the same video as it was posted on the Ford Transit USA forum - impressive. I've been reading that forum as I'm considering a Transit. But I was not impressed by all the brake issues being reported by owners.
Believe the brake issues were early production run 2015's with the calipers installed incorrectly.

Apparently the rear brakes on all do wear out early depending on driver. I still have original brakes on my 2015 after 31,000 miles.

flman

The first thing I noticed about my Transit is how much better it stops over my 2010 Sprinter, even my passengers noticed. I have the 2017 MY.

flman

Believe the brake issues were early production run 2015's with the calipers installed incorrectly.

Apparently the rear brakes on all do wear out early depending on driver. I still have original brakes on my 2015 after 31,000 miles.

I go through rear tires every 10K, and it was the same with the Sprinter. Loads mean more braking and wear and tear.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
I go through rear tires every 10K, and it was the same with the Sprinter. Loads mean more braking and wear and tear.
I had 30,000 miles on the original Hankook tires when I replaced then with larger 245-70-16 Cooper tires. The Hankooks had enough tread left for probably another 20,000 miles. I did have 5 black wheels and rotate all 5 tires every 7500 miles. Added TPMS sending unit to the spare tire wheel.

The larger Cooper tires made a major improvement in ride and handling. They are noisier than the Hankooks.

Boxster1971

I guess a lot depends on how you drive your van. My 2012 3500 Sprinter is an RV conversion that I run near max weight all the time. Original Continental tires only went 30,000 miles as front was out of alignments, thanks to Airstream. Also had a rear dual go flat on the road - then added TPMS. Replaced OEM tires with Michelins that went 90,000 miles and 5+ years. Still had tread life but sidewalks were checked and tires were aged out. Now running new Michelin Agilis tires. Still on original brakes after 120,000 miles. The brakes will need to be serviced at next A service.

I was one of the lucky 2015 Transit owners with the brake issues. Good to hear they addressed it.
I honestly think the only thing that keeps me in a truck with a spacekap, is the warm back seat. I keep batteries and sensitive tools back there to allow them to stay warm. I thought about doing a crew van but dont want to lose all that space. Though I do like the the fact that Im about 20 mins to pull that spacekap off and cruise around the country in a pickup with a camper on it or being towed by it. I guess I need to climb around a crew transit when they arrive.

Attachments

pdxkid

currently vanless :-(
Cool rig @gottahavabenz I'm stoked that those Spacekaps are finally available in the states, I think that they used to be Canadian only. I know a gal who really wanted one for her Colorado and drove to BC to get one. She got majorly hassled by the border patrol coming back into the states with it.

Top Bottom