LOOKING AT TRANSITS

Geriakt

2017 View 24J
So the posters in this thread are really saying MB cant manufacture a van that is only intended to be driving lightly? My Sprinter is an RV and is only driven lightly. RVs are not a daily driver. Unfortunately MB does not make a 3500 van with a V6 gas engine. It would be nice if they did.

drbutton

As I mentioned earlier, I have driven my Ford Transit Ecoboost wagon for 4 years now and have enjoyed it. Its a "sleeper" that actually tempts me to drive it a bit more aggressively that is necessary at times. Is the Transit Ecoboost fun? Heck yeah! One reason I went with the Ford over Sprinter in 2014 is the same engine. The Sprinters at the time, as I recall, offered nothing with near the power. The Nissan NV had a V8 that appeared to be reasonable on paper, so I drove one. My wife did too, and we were really disappointed by the performance of the NV. We had just driven a used Chevrolet Express with a 6+ L V8 gasser, and that was a very lively van to drive. Unfortunately, my kids uniformly despised the interior and vetoed the Chevy/GMC vans forever after. The Ford Dealer let me drive an Ecoboost Van, and we were sold. Now, my wife loves the Sprinter and will not stand for the Transit. The reasons are listed in this thread, above. The Sprinter's 2019 turbo 3.0L diesel engine is relatively slow off the line, but once its on the highway, its a dream. No more sleeper though. The Sprinter finally has me driving like a grown-up, and that is an improvement.

drbutton

One other little observation from a drive on CO-115 today. It was gusty, and the Sprinter pulled and swayed suddenly with blasts and bursts. This driving challenged me despite the stabilization system. I am not saying that the system did not inspire confidence - it did. After it had repeatedly activated, I took the hint slowed from 60 mph, the speed limit, to 45 - 50 mph. Slowing solved a lot of the drifting issues and jerks, but I never recall slowing in the low-roof Transit Wagon for wind. The laws of physics favor the shorter Transit low-roof in windy conditions, though it can still be a handful to control when the gales pound...and no stabilization system for sway that I can discern.
Now walking around in the Sprinter is delightful - no more hunch-back maneuvers as the short Ford demands. But all of that headroom does come at a price.

One other little observation from a drive on CO-115 today. It was gusty, and the Sprinter pulled and swayed suddenly with blasts and bursts. ...
Not that you asked...

Do a search in the forum for how to find the best tire pressures for your rig. Tire pressures can make a difference. New tires often are a bit squirrely. If the tires are new it takes some time for them to seat in, for lack of a better term.

Sometimes people over correct with steering. There is an inherent looseness in the suspension. The body can rock a bit, but the truck will still track properly if not over steered.

Gusty Wind Travel
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=602231

The above said, slowing down is often the prudent thing to do.

:cheers: vic

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
You can order AWD transits now. I believe they will start delivering Q1-2020. Big customers are getting theirs in February? With general stock starting a few months later?

eralimited57

2008 Sprinter 2500 170 Extended High Top 3.0L CRD
Ecoboost is fun. You can have performance or fuel economy but not both. My gas mileage with a 2000 lb payload is closer to 15 mpg than 16 mpg. I find it interesting that people can pay $100,000 for a vehicle but are concerned about a few mpg. I was the same with the Sprinter, always telling people the mpg which was excellent for such a large vehicle.

Having had one tow and a LHM in the first 20,000 miles with the Sprinter ruined my trust in the vehicle. Lost confidence in the Sprinter which destroys trips. Now have 30,000 miles on Transit without any visits to a dealer other than normal oil changes. I buy the 6 quarts of Mobile 1 at Costco on sale for less that $30 and have dealer use that. Prefer full synthetic.

A gas engine makes more sense for a conversion. You can idle the engine for charging. I have a vehicle 12 volt system powered 1000 watt pure sine inverter powered by the Transit. Can use it for charging or heating shower water or heating air with 750 watt electric heater in back of van.

Certainly no prestige with a Transit. Miss Piggy does have a smile on her face as we roll down the road without stops for repairs.
Ecoboost is fun!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkYS6mpwiSM

Mr M

AWD Transit now configurable online, around $4-5K for AWD upgrade on Ford vs $12600 for 4x4 on Sprinter...

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
I configured one online and it came out considerably less expensive than the Sprinter. Nothing but good can come of this in terms of MB having to negotiate for once on 4x4 models.

VanGoSki

AWD Transit now configurable online, around $4-5K for AWD upgrade on Ford vs $12600 for 4x4 on Sprinter...
Incorrect. Sprinter 4x4 (X30) option is currently $7,975. And that includes the 2-speed transfer case that the Transit doesn't have. Plus the Sprinter 4x4 sits higher for better ground clearance.

Last edited:

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
The Transit actually has lower gearing than a Sprinter that has the low range option due to the 10-speed transmission. (Sprinter low range is only a 1.42 reduction.) You're right about the ground clearance though.

VanGoSki

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
Then you got ripped off. The price of the option is under $8K. Tons of orders posted on this forum show the 4x4 option price. Here's one: https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81817

quote: "X30 Low & High Range 4x4 Package $7,800"

The following thread contain a copy of the 2020 Dealer Ordering Guide (DOG). Look it up yourself. https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76731
Difference is between the starting price of a baseline cargo of $33,790 in current configurator and then selecting 4X4 powertrain as it also goes from a gas engine to a diesel. You cant get 4x4 with base gas engine in USA. See attached annoted screen grab from MB Sprinter build web page.

Attachments

Top Bottom