p2133 and p1482 codes

finkadelic

Hi all,

I'm getting these codes on cold start up. They are related to glow plug 1 and the module.

I thought perhaps they were being caused by a chafed wire bundle, and i did see a bit of chafe around the fuel filter (just the outer sheath). I moved them around and covered the bundles with some radiator hose material. However, i'm still getting the codes.

The thing is, if i clear the codes, they don't come back when the engine is hot. Only appear on cold starts. I assume this means i actually have a glow plug issue.? I believe both the plugs and the relay module are original (121k) to the van.

Looking for opinions - should i just go ahead and replace the whole setup with the Euro parts kit? Or is it worth it to trouble shoot each individual plug and using some an inline fuse setup with the module plug to test individual plugs. Presumably, if one has gone south, the others are soon to follow? (Also it may have damaged the module).

sailquik

Funkadelic
What Scan tool did you use to obtain these codes?
What year model and engine do you have?
OM-612 (2002-2003)
OM-647 (2004-2006)
Makes a big difference in the glow plug module
I believe!
Do some more searches on OM-612/647 glow plug issues/testing.
The glow plugs can be tested with a VOM (in situ)
to determine if good or bad vs a faulty GP module!
Roger

Last edited:

finkadelic

Thanks Roger. It's a 2006. By VOM do you mean a standard multimeter? Also, just using a simple scanguage that doesn't provide the sub-code (i.e. 2133-001, -002, etc). It just says 2133.

Last edited:

sailquik

Yes on the Volt/Ohm Meter vs my Multimeter!
It’s a resistance (Ohms) value for each type
Glow plug.
The Scan Gauge II is a driving aid!
It’s very limited as a diagnostic tool.
Better to get something (or someone) with
Higher level diagnostic capability before digging
In further!
Roger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
From the 2006 Powertrain Diagnostic Manual: (available here: http://www.diysprinter.co.uk/reference/ )
P1482-GLOW PLUG MODULE - INCORRECT TIMER . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .85
P1482-GLOW PLUG MODULE - INTERNAL FAULT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .85

P2133-GLOW PLUG #1 CIRCUIT EXCESSIVE CURRENT. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .82
P2133-GLOW PLUG #1 CIRCUIT OPEN CIRCUIT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .82
P2133-GLOW PLUG #1 CIRCUIT SHORT TO GROUND . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .82
P2133-GLOW PLUG #1 CIRCUIT SHORT TO VOLTAGE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .82

Another reference i have adds these two to 1482:
P1482-Glow Plug Module - Communication Error
P1482-Glow Plug Module - Excess Current

"simply" unplugging glow plug #1 might make the 2133 go away ... unless the fault was in the cable.
Do you have the "new" or "old" glow plug controller?
The old one would blow internal fuses if a plug (or the wiring) was shorted .. the new controller will survive the insult, and may be better at reporting it.

Here are a couple of threads discussing repairing the old module (which show photos of it .. compare to yours)
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6935 <-- glow plug module fix
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12150 <-- further
and these are the part numbers for the *new* controller, which is thinner in profile. The part will have the MB number on it.
Dodge: 68013182AC MB: A 642 900 58 01

--dick

finkadelic

Thank you! I'm gonna play around with it this weekend, gonna use Dr. A's inline fuse setup to test the individual plugs. i suspect #1 has bitten it, but we'll see. At 121k miles, i think i'm probably due to change the whole shabang (plugs and module). I assume i still have the original module (have all records and no mention of plugs or module). The new solid state unit seems like a real improvement. I'll report back. Cheers.

BrennWagon

He’s just this guy, you know?
A bad engine ground wire was causing my 2006 to throw similar codes but also ended up causing a no start situation. Technically it was right, the glow plug module couldn’t pull enough power, but a faulty module wasn’t the reason, a frayed and brittle ground was. The lug sheared off of the rest of the wire when I loosened the chassis bolt. It looked fine in place and showed good continuity but definitely was worse for the wear. A quick and easy way I found of testing your engine ground was to hook a jumper cable from a good contact point on the engine to the negative battery terminal, avoiding any moving parts, of course. It’s worth a shot trying before you start replacing anything

finkadelic

Using Dr A's test, i blew a fuse on what i believe is the #4 glow plug. The others sparked but did not blow a fuse.

The question i have is - the suspect wire is Black/Yellow in position (2) on the rear of the connector. According to the linked diagram, this corresponds to glow plug 4. So my question is, the pin-out numbers on the rear of the plug don't actually correspond to the glow plug? The odd thing is, my pin-outs aren't in rows in accordance with the diagram. I.E. The full row of wires on the plug read 1,3,5 on the rear of the plug; and the other row (with two leads) reads 2,4,6 (6 empty). The suspect lead is in position 2.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=95394&d=1521931772

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Yes, #4 is the next-to-rear plug/cylinder

The new GP module style is much better than the old one.

--dick

finkadelic

I replaced the plugs and the module and the codes have gone away. I soaked the plugs in some pb blaster for a few days before attempting to remove them, and to my delight, they came right out. Thanks for the help all.

2006 MY. I had the P1482 and P2133 DTC's together also.

The iCarsoft MBII listed them as "Not Found".

My Glow plug problems traced to the #2 Glow Plug being shorted. I replaced the GP with a Beru plug.

An end fuse link in the GP control module was found burned open. I soldered in a 20 amp fuse to replace the burned fuse link. That is now 2 ea. fuses that I have installed.

I didn't bother to trace what position the burned fuse link supplied, but it must have been #2 cylinder. After the repairs I cleared the DTC's and they haven't returned.

Based upon my experience and the other comments in this thread I believe that it is safe to say that the P1482 and P2133 DTC's are GP system related. I don't think that you can count on the DTC's accurately directing you to any particular cylinder position.

:2cents: vic

Top Bottom