Seeking Advice - Rooftop AC Removal & Fan Installation

hilltop_yodeler

Hi!

My vehicle:
2016 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 2500 / 144 / NCV3 (4X4)

I have the factory rooftop AC unit that was designed to cool off passengers sitting in the cargo area of the van. A couple of photos are attached.

I would like to remove the AC unit and install a Fantastic Fan. Does anyone have experience with this? I am wondering if the hole in my roof might be anywhere near the right size for the Fantastic Fan?

Another question that I have is, what other considerations will I need to be aware of in order to remove the rooftop AC unit? I would imagine that a valve will need to be closed somewhere to stop the flow of refrigerant leading up to the roof, and that perhaps refrigerant line(s) may need to be removed too.

Why remove the rooftop AC unit? Summertime camping in Colorado and western US - it takes energy to run that AC unit, and I believe that the engine has to be running in order for it to work. I want to be able to use the fan at night when cooking or sleeping to generate airflow and will open the windows when the fan is in use. This should keep us cool, use less energy, and be able to operate from a solar/pv and battery system.

I am looking for advice from anyone who has experience with this process.

Thank you in advance!

-Darrin

Attachments

GSWatson

2013 144
Hi Darren -

I have just done that with a 2015 passenger. The hole from the AC is fairly large, much bigger than a standard 14” square fan opening. (BTW, spring for a Maxxair so you can just leave the vent open all the time, even when raining, for passive ventilation).

Forum member Hein sells a set of adapter plates (there are three smaller holes in the roof from the coolant hoses and wiring) for just this purpose - you have the choice of blocking it off, a standard 14” hole, or the larger Hehr sunroof.

First step is to visit an auto shop to have the refrigerant properly evacuated.

Here’s a pic from the start of the process, which I will do a write-up of one day...Unfortunately, the Tapatalk app on the iPad only lets me post one pic at a time. But this gives you an idea of what the roof will look like after everything is removed -

Cheers,
Greg

SeattleNewbie

2013 NCV3 2500 170" WB
We also took our rear AC out of a 2013 van and it was a lot of work IMO. I'm happy that we did it but I'd think twice or ten times before doing it again.

1. Have the gas removed and keep a receipt/documentation for doing so. Make sure that the technician knows only to remove the rear AC gas not the front.

2. Get yourself a couple of tall ladders, some crow bars, a chizel to remove the industrial adhesive, ... You get the idea. You can also remove the appropriate fuse from your driver side fuse box to turn off the electric system for the rear AC. The hoses and pipes on each side of the driver cabin will need to be plugged. Cork and other creative solutions... ;)

3. The hole is long but curved and did not for the maxxair fan cover perfectly. So I chose to install the maxxair fan to the side of that existing hole and needed a little cutting, and filing and priming and painting. Nice thing was that I only had to cut sheet metal for one side of the fan though ;)

4. Cut sheet metal to size, grind the corners, file the edges, prime, paint, drill bolt holes. Nut, waterproofing washer, and bolt. Probably a good idea to go with locking nuts or lock washers on the inside. For the smaller holes I used a solar charge controller entry box and some small electric overs that were almost the right size and didn't cut more sheet metal.

5. Plumbers putty underneath the edges of the sheet metal and fan, Dicor all over the place to water seal. Then wait 48 goes and do a leak test.

6. It helps a lot of you have a few neighbors to borrow tools from and a retired father in law or uncle to help you. :D

If it sounds like a lot of work, it is. It's have been much simpler to install the fan elsewhere if you have the roof space.

On the other hand because of the issues that excessive idling would cause the AdBlue system I wouldn't run the van just to run the rear AC... So basically it's useless :) but also harmless!

Attachments

Last edited:

Top Bottom