Loosing power when turning left

Alain.au

My Sprinter diesel campervan stops pulling momentarilly when I turn left going uphill. It started after I got diesel just after the pump had been serviced. I also installed a new deep-cycle battery for lights, TV etc.... Changing gear solves the problem. Otherwise all goes well on the flat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
My Sprinter diesel campervan stops pulling momentarilly when I turn left going uphill. It started after I got diesel just after the pump had been serviced. I also installed a new deep-cycle battery for lights, TV etc.... Changing gear solves the problem. Otherwise all goes well on the flat.
Just a thought pump serviced assuming fuel pump maybe , air in line or sensor malfunction or lacking presume from pump to fuel rails????
New batt! have you monitored the voltage when turning at idle almost if dropping to 10V then stall may be imminent :thinking: I could suggest as it was serviced, take it back and do a check on fuel pressure assuming it was done by a qualified mechanic.
Richard

surlyoldbill

Only losing power when turning Left? Is that a political statement? :lol:

I have no clue as to what's happening, but I would have someone turn the wheel left while running and parked and watch to see if something is getting pushed or hit by steering linkage.

Alain.au

Thank you for the feed-back.
I went for a drive today and all was OK.
I'll follow-up on your suggestions and will contact the service station to see if I can talk to the people doing the service.
I had talked to Merc (G Brother down the road in Mona Vale NSW) who advised me to buy more diesel...
I'll keep you posted.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Use BP Diesel 10 ppm not Caltex or Mobil add RL-200 to clean contaminated fuel and injectors
Red Line-200 is an upper cylinder lubricant you can buy this form Bursons outlets in Brisbane have no idea as to where they are in Sydney. add a few cap fulls per tank.
Best of luck Richard

Alain.au

Update...2 days ago I got a Mercedes mechanic to go for a drive with me. We got lucky as the van stopped pulling for 3 to 5 secondes on 2 left turns, on the flat this time. It was noticeable enough for him not to need a drive but agreed the van needed to be looked at. At the end of the day and after another drive by other mechanics, there is no verdict except that the tank may have swelled…I did not understand too much but after all the tank seems to be in plastic.
They asked me to check if it was doing it with a full tank….I’ll try soon and go back to them. By the way the Operating Instructions advise not to overfill the tank, which I did on this occasion.. could it be the cause?:bash:
I have also contacted Shell who are investigating.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Update...2 days ago I got a Mercedes mechanic to go for a drive with me. We got lucky as the van stopped pulling for 3 to 5 secondes on 2 left turns, on the flat this time. It was noticeable enough for him not to need a drive but agreed the van needed to be looked at. At the end of the day and after another drive by other mechanics, there is no verdict except that the tank may have swelled…I did not understand too much but after all the tank seems to be in plastic.
They asked me to check if it was doing it with a full tank….I’ll try soon and go back to them. By the way the Operating Instructions advise not to overfill the tank, which I did on this occasion.. could it be the cause?:bash:
I have also contacted Shell who are investigating.
Hi Alain.au
for all that it is worth
BP Australia has a full 100% fuel guarantee:On it's fuel, a certificate can be obtained but it's hard; as you have to do it direct from BP or download it. Ascertain from Shell which fuel was in use at the time as to Winter grade Diesel Blends..Alpine, grade standard winter grade, or summer grade blend. BIO Blended past 5% ????
Question your fuel source if you can answer it! Where you buy fuel.how old is the station ! Has the area been flooded of late in the last three to 4 months?
When a station is subject to fuel contamination the warranty with fuel suppliers becomes vague-if it's deemed to be a station at fault : either fuel contamination direct from supplier or via the operating station as it was in Melbourne a few weeks back when silicone based oils were found in the fuel main holding tanks from some stations , which destroyed the vehicles engines.
I personally don't see the full tank scenario causing your problem that's too odd, unless you have a sticking fuel sender that may be effecting it.
I'd be looking at the fuel filter and especially the water filter sender wiring assembly points,
Reason is there are two fuel filters MB is selling all for one, which are incorrect, and they are not lining up in the original position fuel pipes coming into the filter are now set at a slightly different position but the senders wires to the water-filter sensor may be stretched causing a-possible-short-as-to- a- voltage- drop: A Below 11.3 v-to- 10v at idle or at 1000rpm . this will and only occur inside of 1.5 second increments... you have to be quick to locate it, on the scanner. so look for odd wiring that has been stretched past its original heat-shrink-holding pattern.
Richard

Last edited:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
I failed to mention Did your Mercedes Mechanic have the scanner plugged direct to your ecu to monitor the problem as to A voltage drop fluctuations and fuel rail pressure testing.Whilst mobile.
DSC00662 (Custom).JPGDSC00663 (Custom).JPG
Richard

sprintguy

16+ yrs Master Commercial technician
OK :it really sounds like something is blocking the return line that is in the tank and part of the either: in tank lift pump or fuel tank module (depending on year) . Let me explain : as fuel is returned back to the tank it enters the fuel tank module (or pump) than is routed to the bottom of the tank module and there it is changed to a higher PSI (by means of a nozzle) to create a pressure differential by a passage in the module. This is used to keep the module (or pump) resevoir full during times when the fuel may slosh away from the module. (keeping air ingestion to a miute amount if any) If the nozzle gets plugged or fails to operate you will get air into the resevoir cup on the module during fuel slosh (considering were the pump is located on a T1N, a left turn up hill would cause this). Could this be your issue ? maybee :idunno: good chance though

Carl

Alain.au

Many thanks again for the feedback Richard. I'll print them for the Merc guys to read tomorrow. They had previuosly asked me to fill the tank and monitor. I still have the problem. Cheers, Alain

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Many thanks again for the feedback Richard. I'll print them for the Merc guys to read tomorrow. They had previuosly asked me to fill the tank and monitor. I still have the problem. Cheers, Alain
Please stay tuned in and let us know what prevails.
Thanks Richard

Top Bottom