Spare wheel holder

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
100% pure aluminium is very soft stuff. Not much good for anything.
Than military-grade aluminium melts can compete with mild steel in strength.

Perce

Has anyone used the mount from a SUV bolted straight onto the door? Would the door be strong enough on its own or reinforced inside?

12 legs sprinting

Carrier looks very similar to mine, welded up from square steel tube but a bit of a pain to get all the angles right. Wouldn't want to do it again!
Dakkush, what tyres are you running? I still have the stock conti's on my 515 4 x 4 and want to go larger, but am worried the dual's touching on the rear axle. Thanks, Peter
Hi Peter, very interested in having a go at this, I have a few questions if you don't mind.

Did you use 40 X 40?

How did it affect the door opening, was it restricted to 90°?

How did you fix the frame to the door? (Fixing tabs with tek screws)

Did you use 5mm flat plate when connecting to the hinge, how did you fabricate?

Did you use existing holes in the hinges or did you drill new holes?

hope you can help, cheers David

Last edited:

pommie

Hi Peter, very interested in having a go at this, I have a few questions if you don't mind.

Did you use 40 X 40?

How did it affect the door opening, was it restricted to 90°?

How did you fix the frame to the door? (Fixing tabs with tek screws)

Did you use 5mm flat plate when connecting to the hinge, how did you fabricate?

Did you use existing holes in the hinges or did you drill new holes?

hope you can help, cheers David
Hi David, l used 35 x 35 sq tube for the frame with plastic end stops from Clarke rubber. The hinge plates where cut from approx 3 x 2 inch rectangular section about 4mm thick, no bending required. The hinge bracket used the existing holes with a backing plate. The only bolts though the doors are 2 small M4 ones by the opening to locate the other end of the frame. All the load is thru the hinges and its doesn't affect the doors. I did put some picture's up before but can't seem to find them now. Cheers Peter

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
I just run into this hitch-mounted carrier and looks like not only strong, but ingenious design.
Was thinking about it, but $2k for table package is too steep for my use.

Top Bottom