2019 4x4 Delay

Hard to believe a so called prestigious car company like MB would leave people hanging for this long. The people who ordered vans should have priority in having their product delivered.
Happening all to frequently with SC builds it seems.
Our new van was delivered to the dealer on Wednesday. We were scheduled to pick it up on Friday, but when they filled it up they discovered “a fuel leak in/around the tank”. I would assume if it was a uncapped aux line they would have found it by now? But after waiting 8 months for the van, confidence in the competency on Mercedes is slipping.

Just to add little history,
Van was ordered March 23
Off assembly line June 25
Out of QC July 10
Ship dates unmet since Late July
Van picked up by shipper Oct 22
Arrived at dealer Nov 13
My wife and a friend were on a flight to pick up the van when dealer called with the leak news. :yell:

Last edited:

sanomechanic

Happening all to frequently with SC builds it seems.
Our new van was delivered to the dealer on Wednesday. We were scheduled to pick it up on Friday, but when they filled it up they discovered “a fuel leak in/around the tank”. I would assume if it was a uncapped aux line they would have found it by now? But after waiting 8 months for the van, confidence in the competency on Mercedes is slipping.

Just to add little history,
Van was ordered March 23
Off assembly line June 25
Out of QC July 10
Ship dates unmet since Late July
Van picked up by shipper Oct 22
Arrived at dealer Nov 13
My wife and a friend were on a flight to pick up the van when dealer called with the leak news. :yell:
Wow...that's a buzz kill for sure. Sorry to hear that. May I ask what the last 5 digits of your VIN is? I'm very curious what they had to RE WORK. There should be signs if things were installed and removed from when van was initially built. It is impossible to not make imprints in paint, scars on bolts and slightly different positions when major components are removed and re installed. Look your van over carefully.

Last edited:

wquek

Work in progress
Our van touched down this week. Canadian build 2019 144 4x4 2500 Crew, LED, 10” MBUX, power sliding door, ++

January 12 2019 - Deposit placed
Spring 2019 - Received news that our build was up but LED was not available. We decided to pass
July 16, 2019 - LED became available and our van was “built”
Sept 17 - Order frozen
Oct 8 - Van produced in Dusseldorf
Nov 7 - Van arrived at rail hub in Winnepeg
Nov 15 - Arrived in Calgary Country Hills Mercedes
Nov 19 - Delivery

We would have received our van earlier in the summer but instead opted to wait it out for the LED. Luckily we had a really great salesperson (Vince) who was not only patient and knowledgeable about vans, he also knew a lot about upfitting and all the different products out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Wow...that's a buzz kill for sure. Sorry to hear that. May I ask what the last 5 digits of your VIN is? I'm very curious what they had to RE WORK. There should be signs if things were installed and removed from when van was initially built. It is impossible to not make imprints in paint, scars on bolts and slightly different positions when major components are removed and re installed. Look your van over carefully.
I don’t have the VIN off hand. They are still in Oregon with the folder. Dealer is giving a loaner GL for the 800 mile trek home. From the pictures the only thing missing was the V35 wheel well covers, oddly still on the invoice. How does something that obvious get thru build, QC and dealer? The belief on their end was the swivels were the delay, but Who knows?
Wife did check and said the paint looked flawless :idunno:

sanomechanic

How does something that obvious get thru build, QC and dealer? The belief on their end was the swivels were the delay, but Who knows?
One post on here reported van was missing power sliding door option but was still on the window sticker. Another made it to dealer and the 4X4 would not engage. Electrical connectors were not plugged in and undercoating was sprayed over.

It should not be the swivel seats though. They have been available through out production. Usually these reworks are related to damage, a major component missing or something not being installed correctly like installing the wrong wiring harness or dash for that particular build.
Please ask dealer for your VIN. Very curious to see.

No telling how long before they fix your van. I hear getting parts for the new vans is impossible

Last edited:
One post on here reported van was missing power sliding door option but was still on the window sticker. Another made it to dealer and the 4X4 would not engage. Electrical connectors were not plugged in and undercoating was sprayed over.

It should not be the swivel seats though. They have been available through out production. Usually these reworks are related to damage, a major component missing or something not being installed correctly like installing the wrong wiring harness or dash for that particular build.
Please ask dealer for your VIN. Very curious to see.

No telling how long before they fix your van. I hear getting parts for the new vans is impossible
That’s exactly why wife chose the option of a loaner and not just return tickets home. I’m sure they want this GLS back sooner than later?

aviatordoc

Just fyi. Have been looking for a loaded pass 4x4 144 for a while, and found one meeting my needs. Called And bought it. Picking up this Saturday.

sanomechanic

Well...That 11/30 VPC release date MBVANS rescheduled hundreds of vans back September is only 9 days away. Will they be liars once again?

drbutton

I just got my 4x4 passenger van this month. It was "Produced" but not delivered for about 2 months. I started working on ordering it a year ago, but its been worth the wait. The van is very loaded, but some items were "inhibited" or something, such a the power sliding door. I decided to go ahead a buy the car despite these issues, and I am glad I did.

I believe we are interacting with dealers who are quietly frustrated themselves, but live in this world of delays and inefficient vehicle production and delivery. They have become, in some cases, smug realists with little to offer eager customers other than hopes for allocation shifting and patience. It works, but you do need a dealer who will work with you a little. I had to visit 3 dealerships to find a dealer who was willing to walk down the ordering path with me, and it eventually paid off. Patience with a bit of diplomatic agitating was the key for me.

kingshade

Question: are you an established customer with your MB dealer?
It’s my 2nd with him but I don’t think I got special treatment. It’s Keyes Mercedes in van nyes ca. Ilan is the man. Honestly I think Mercedes gives the bigger dealers faster service. They sell 30-50 G wagons a month. The next biggest dealer sells 3 or 4. My last van came fast too.

drbutton

Yes kingshade, I think that you are correct. The dealer that got my Sprinter has sold 40 4x4s this year alone. I did not start with him a year ago, and he did get the van for me within a few months. I believe some of the smaller dealers may know this but cannot say it. They may be forced to neglect the 4x4 orders knowing that its hard for them to snag an allocation. Thank you for sharing the information on your dealer. Maybe you will help someone.

By the way, I ordered mine with Jim Plank at MB of Westminster, Colorado. He did a great job with it in my opinion.

aviatordoc

As I have said before, I was gonna order one, but had to find one this year so I can avail of the tax deduction.
Finally found one that I could live with. Around 74K, still missing a few things I wanted not needed, but this would work.
Flew out early this AM, picked it up and drove about 500 miles home. Just got in. BIG GRIN. It rained cats and dogs ALL the way home.
2019 Selenite Grey Mettalic 144 4x4 with a lotta goodies and alloy wheels. I was skeptical of the wheels, but I like it. Kumo tires, Hmmmmm!
May have to spring for some new KO tires.

Attachments

chriszep

I was told by my salesman that my 19. 140HR 4x4 Crew "Landed at the port" in NJ yesterday. He said itll still be a few weeks until I get it because of whatever they need to check over on the import takes some time. Im just glad it made it across the pond!

Top Bottom