Pleasureway Excell oversteering problem

Rider/Writer

I recently took delivery of a new 08 Pleasureway Excell. We like everything about this RV, except for one big problem. At any speed over 45 mph the front end oversteers so bad that I can barely keep it on the road. I checked the tire pressure and found it to be 50 front and 70 rear. I increased it to 55 front and 80 rear with slightly better results, but it still is hard to control as speed increases to 55 mph. The tires are in ballance and the alignment is good. It is a brand new RV. Is this normal? I should be able to at least drive it at 65 mph, or am I wrong?:idunno: Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, what did you do to correct it.
Thanks,
An Unhappy Camper:yell:

312 diesel (closed)

I'd get it weighed, including the individual axle weights; that isn't normal, a Sprinter is capable of travelling at high speed perfectly safely.

Assuming no one has messed with the basic suspension settings, or it's been damaged so a wheel or axle is pointing in the wrong direction, it is most likely caused by tyre choice and I assume it has the factory tyres, tyre pressures or weight and weight distribution

aljimenez

'13 LTV Serenity on '12 3
Is your Pleasure Way on a Sprinter? I thought only Pleasure way Plateaus are on Sprinters... Al

b.smart 42

Pleasure-Way Excel is on a Ford platform. Pleasure-Way makes 2 sprinter based models: Ascent and Plateau.

To answer your question, Rider/Writer, no it's not normal to have this problem. Your unit should be able to go 65-70 mph comfortably. Call your PW dealer for direction to a Ford dealer to handle such a problem. Is your PW dealer McMahon's in Irvine? If that doesn't work call Pleasure-Way for assistance with Ford. You should be still under warranty for the Ford. There was some discussion on the Yahoo Pleasure-Way owners forum site about the tires on Fords having very soft side walls, replacement tires with stiffer side walls handling better. Also fewer blow-outs. To join the Yahoo PW owners forum site, go to Yahoo Pleasure-Way owners group, and apply for membership with your vin #. I think there is more information on joining on the Pleasure-Way website. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Rider/Writer

:yell:Here is an update to my post regarding the oversteering problem of my 08 Pleasureway Excell. This RV was purchased last August from McMahons RV in Irvine CA. We have yet to recieve as much as a return phone call from these people. Our attempts to reach their "service" departmet were met with rudeness from a surly employee who told me to "Go away." In the past 11 months I have experienced everything from exploding tires, body panels falling off on the road and other "minor" problems. I have had to agrue with service managers at Ford Dealers just to get them to look at my van, let alone getting them to perform any maintenance. I have invested over $2,000 in new Michelin tires, steering stabilizer, rear spring modification, etc. and while this has done much to improve the problem, IT STILL WANDERS!! The manufacturer now :thumbdown:tells me that Ford has an improved steering box for this unit, but I dread having to argue with Ford Dealers again just to get this work done. This is our first RV and after all these problems it will sadly be our last.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
:yell:Here is an update to my post regarding the oversteering problem of my 08 Pleasureway Excell. This RV was purchased last August from McMahons RV in Irvine CA. We have yet to recieve as much as a return phone call from these people. Our attempts to reach their "service" departmet were met with rudeness from a surly employee who told me to "Go away." In the past 11 months I have experienced everything from exploding tires, body panels falling off on the road and other "minor" problems. I have had to agrue with service managers at Ford Dealers just to get them to look at my van, let alone getting them to perform any maintenance. I have invested over $2,000 in new Michelin tires, steering stabilizer, rear spring modification, etc. and while this has done much to improve the problem, IT STILL WANDERS!! The manufacturer now :thumbdown:tells me that Ford has an improved steering box for this unit, but I dread having to argue with Ford Dealers again just to get this work done. This is our first RV and after all these problems it will sadly be our last.
Another sad ending. but the moral of the story is when buying a RV pre order the correct suspension set up,Oh and buy a Benz.:thumbup:
The list is endless these are not usually sold on the lot.
View attachment 2010 Sprinter Suspension Package Overview-1.pdf

NA-40.jpg
Richard

robdsprinter

Re: Pleasureway Excell problem Unhappy Wanderer

In 2008 Ford had a brainstorm and changed their vans. The new tranmissions are a great upgrade but the old tried and true van suspension and steering components were changed .

I had a 2008 Excel with the 2007 chassis. No wander/oversteer problem. The 2008-2011
have a TSB from Ford. I think Pleasureway is factory installing sway bars. I heard nothing works by forum posters on the Pway site other than trading for a Plateau!!!!!

Just trade it for a Plateau a year or two older and go RV'n. :cheers:

OldLadyDriver

Yikes, am I in trouble from reading these posts. Something we never do, we got talked into purchasing a 2011 Excel Pleasure Way without doing research or a test drive....I know stupid.

In any case, it is now ours and in six months I have only been able to drive it twice because of other problems that needed to be addressed. I only recently drove it for an hour up the coast and was sweating from trying to keep it on the road. There is no way I can let my husband drive it as he is not a good driver.
I took it back to the Ford dealer who in essence told me they could not find anything wrong with it. I finally sent a man in and he made them go out and drive with the vehicle. Finally, they admitted something is wrong and they would see what they can do.

Am I stuck with a lemon? I drive alone often and at this point I am afraid to drive this van.

Has anything new been done to resolve this? Is it a PW or a Ford issue?

jwbr

I also took delivery of a 2011 Pleasure Way Excel in June. I have had the same problem with road wander. My coach does have a large sway bar attached to the rear axle. My tires are Dyna Pro AS M+S, Lt245/75R16, Hankook made in Korea. I don't know if these tires are the source of the problem? I now have 3,000 miles on the coach and the road wander is not as bad as it was but still unacceptable.

Turnmazio

SOLUTION! I also had this problem. I almost thought i would not be able to drive the thing anywhere without white knuckles But I solved it and the solution is simple. Take the Pleasure Way back to the dealer and tell them what is wrong. Ask to have them do an alignment on the chassis. Check camber castor etc.. I took it back twice and finally they fixed it. I can honestly say that now it drives great. It's a 2011 excell. I wonder if somehow they get knocked out of square at ford or if ford has a problem with the E350 chassis. I think the later is more likely as I saw a normal e350 van crabbing down the road the other day. Please fell free to reach out to me if you have any questions. When I first started driving my new pleasure way I thought I was going to cry it was so bad. So happy it's fixed now.

Top Bottom