Solar panel choice, considering these

I haven't contacted the seller, but these could be interesting, they have others I may consider, and I may be able to pick up in person to avoid shipping

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/382631332179

I wan considering 2 kept inside, I could set them out when I stay in the same place for a few days, for the most part I don't have a huge solar need, but it would allow me to stay put for a while and 600w is far more than I need, thus they wouldn't need to be out all the time

bobmac

They look good Napa but you may find putting them out and back is a nuisance. I was going to do that with my Troopie so I could park in the shade and put the panel in the sun. Did that one day and then mounted it permanently above the windscreen. And that gave me good sun shading on the dash.

I would suggest roof mounting. Just my $0.02 worth.
Bob M 2002 MWB 4x4 and 2003 long and talls

marklg

They look good Napa but you may find putting them out and back is a nuisance. I was going to do that with my Troopie so I could park in the shade and put the panel in the sun. Did that one day and then mounted it permanently above the windscreen. And that gave me good sun shading on the dash.

I would suggest roof mounting. Just my $0.02 worth.
Bob M 2002 MWB 4x4 and 2003 long and talls
I'm doing both, some on the roof and I have the flexible ones in the back that I can set out. They are way lighter and easier to move.

Regards,

Mark

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
I may go that way, and a single panel.

I was looking at this charge controller

https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Smar...ocphy=9033787&hvtargid=pla-392302194930&psc=1
10 amp controller is not enough for 300 watt panel if 10 amps is the output from the MPPT. You need minimum of 15 amps.
9.0 amps x 32.9 volts = 21 amps x 14 volts (approx. charging voltage). The MPPT takes low amperage/high voltage panel output and converts it to high amperage/low voltage. Actual panel max. output probably about 75% of panel rating due to heat and flat install.

Last edited:
10 amp controller is not enough for 300 watt panel if 10 amps is the output from the MPPT. You need minimum of 15 amps.
9.0 amps x 32.9 volts = 21 amps x 14 volts (approx. charging voltage). The MPPT takes low amperage/high voltage panel output and converts it to high amperage/low voltage. Actual panel max. output probably about 75% of panel rating due to heat and flat install.
Thanks, sounds like I may need a bit more to be safe

What is the difference between the blue solar charger and the smart solar charger?

Last edited:
I plan to stop in there to pick one or two up Thursday or Friday, probably Friday, then I'll head down through Nevada and probably across 50 back to Napa, just incase someone needs some solar

hein

Van Guru
I plan to stop in there to pick one or two up Thursday or Friday, probably Friday, then I'll head down through Nevada and probably across 50 back to Napa, just incase someone needs some solar
If you have time you could swing through Hood River, OR and we can set you up with a mounting system for your panel. 1512 Osprey Drive, Hood River, OR, 97031. No sales tax here.

Here is the layout we would suggest:
https://www.impact3d.com/144_front_vent_LG3XX_2xbars_2lbars.pdf

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan

143paul

If you have time you could swing through Hood River, OR and we can set you up with a mounting system for your panel. 1512 Osprey Drive, Hood River, OR, 97031. No sales tax here.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan

This is the exact set-up I used on my system (also with one 300W pannel) - it has worked perfectly.

I run my Dometic fridge, the fan, and electronics and I have never had a problem - it has been about 6 months and 6,000 mi of use.

bcman

What is the difference between the blue solar charger and the smart solar charger?
The SmartSolar series is the same as the BlueSolar, with the addition of a bluetooth connection. You can reprogram your charge points and monitor your charge status from a smartphone.

I got the BlueSolar 100/30 for my single 320W panel, and a separate bluetooth dongle (they didn't make the SmartSolar yet). I've been very happy with it. The Android app is very easy to navigate.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan
That was my thought, although ups may be the thing, ya never know though, although another change direction may be in the cards, I'll pick it up tomorrow I hope.

I'd say I'm definitely not happy today, I was informed m-f 9-5, after driving out of my way to get here I find out they aren't in today. It would have been nice to know.

Thanks, sounds like I may need a bit more to be safe

I think smart can be read vis Bluetooth on your phone app (integrated Bluetooth), whereas blue requires a dongle device that's extra. The dongle just does the Bluetooth.

I changed my route and things worked out well, after explaining my debacle Hein was able to direct me to a local supplier in Portland who not only had what I needed in stock, he also had the knowledge and background to know what specific panel would work best on a van, he sold me down a size to avoid the need for extra support, the price of shipping these solar panels can exceed the cost of the part its self, if you are buying mounts from Hein he can connect you with Jason for a complete system, he has done significant hands on testing of all components so you can avoid the headache of trying to make a choice from inconclusive reviews from folks who may not have true knowledge of the subject. I believe Jason can also take care of your install if you need that service.

A couple of the advantages were high efficiency, commercial panel with a 25 year warranty, extra rigidity eliminating the need for side bars, and partial shade function, if some of the cells are covered or get damaged they are wired in a way it doesn't affect other cells.

Hopefully I can install this in a few days and see how it all fits together.

If you are local to the PNW pick up in person could save quite the was of cash, I was seeing online quotes around $300 to ship a single panel.

Last edited:

Top Bottom