Ex-Ambulance Rear A/C (Highcool Brand)

Vic_Nik

Hi all! Long time watcher, first time poster...

After years of talking about it, followed by months of intense shopping, we finally bought our new (to us) Sprinter baby home on Sunday. It is a 2012 319 Sprinter, ex-SA ambo. We knew when we bought it (after stalking this forum for a long time) that it was going to have a lot of legacy issues like wiring etc to sort out. We haven't actually made it that far yet and I already have a question for those of you more knowledgeable than we are at this.

The van came with a non-factory fitted A/C unit perched on the rear of the roof. It is a Highcool unit, but that is about all the info I have for you. It was disconnected when they decommissioned the vehicle as an ambulance and I want to know whether you think it will be worth our effort to reinstate the unit or ditch it completely. If anyone has a matching van, info about the size of the resulting hole after removal would also be appreciated!

Thank you in advance for any info you can provide!

Sockeye770

In the last 12 months, I've noticed that some of the gutted out exambo's at Manhiem's auctions have had some of the remaining ambos accessories rewired to new switches in the console, such as the electric side step and ambo interior lights. Although these maybe the Vic exambos, not the SA exambo's. The old aftermarket ambo rear aircons (2007) were controlled through the ambo electronic control unit, which would be gone.

I believe the current decommissioned ambos have lifted their game, in order to improve their resale value.

I would be more than happy to have a look at your exambo, to share my knowledge on exambos, before you start tearing out what remains.

Vic_Nik

Thanks Sockeye, that would be awesome- you're actually quite close to me, I'm in Kilsyth. Lemme know a time and I'd love to meet up with you! I'm still pretty new to the forum, but if you send me a DM I'll do my best to find it! :-P

Vic_Nik

Quick update, for anyone else searching the same thing....
Turns out that Sockeye was right (see above) the people decommissioning the ambo sprinters have definitely been kinder to us than in the past. We found that the only thing needed to get the A/C up and running was to plug in the little control unit that was hidden in our glove box to a plug that was under the center storage lid and voila! The fact that it was that simple makes me feel like a bit of an idiot, but happy that it's working and can hopefully make it easier for others with the same issue!

kappy5003

Adding to this.
I have a 2004 316 T1N, the rear A/C hasn't worked since I've had it the previous owner disconnected something under guise of economy.

I'm thinking of ripping the whole rear A/C could be a drama with pipes etc still connected.

The rear compressor still works, there is a power wire still attached and when connected to power when engine is running the rear pipes get cold. etc, however there is something missing between the compressor and the rear controls that are near the right dash.

They still seem to connect to the unit.

Anyone tell me what's missing to make it work and/or how big a job to remove rear A/C, think a big job, remove 2nd compressor etc.

Cheers

Eric Experience

Kappy.
It is a big job but definitely worth doing, you free up a lot of space and weight, it is very heavy when you take into account the pipes wires and brackets. to get the unit of the roof cut the fibre glass about 100 mm above the gutter then lift the cover off, then use a wood chisel to cut the silastic. Eric

Banjo48

I removed mine, like Eric above says it's a bit of a job but easily doable. I cut mine above guttering with a jig saw, then peeled the remaining off, cleaned finally with a caramel wheel in a drill. I found a multitude of rusty bits underneath that would have become an issue down the track.

Couple of pipe holes, I welded all mine up and re sprayed whole roof. Not really necessary but worth doing. I now have my rear Maxxair deluxe there which with the front one gives me great ventilation through the whole rear of van.

Also allowed me to fit 600W of solar, a bonus. Also you lose those pipes running down internal rear corner and under van.

vudu

Hi Kappy, Banjo,
I have a 2003 316 4x4. A/C stopped working some time ago and I finally got around to taking it to local mech. Seems to have leaked its gas. Enquired as to removing the top unit because I have roof leaks from under the cowl and it's just ugly. He believes the rear unit is integrated with the front and removing it would make a lot of work fixing the plumbing for just front A/C.

I could manage the physical removal but not confident with the plumbing. It seems I only have 1 compressor. Wondering if much changed 2003/4. Kappy, Interested to hear how you go if you go down this route. I would ultimately like a setup like Banjo describes.

Eric Experience

Vudu.
Just do it. You can get the pipes you need to reconnect the dash from any standard T1N. seal up the fittings as you disconnect to keep moisture out of the system. Eric.

Aussie 2002 4x4

Hi Vudu ... mine ran off a single compressor and the condenser and fans were on the roof at the rear. I didn't have a large hole in the roof, just a few small ones for pipes and wires. I removed the rear unit and pipes ... putting an elbow in at the front where it used to tee off to the back.

I got a condenser and fan setup from the wreckers and bolted it up front (although I probably could have adapted the ones I removed from the rear). Then I dropped it off at my local auto electrician / air con guy. I also got the necessary pipes from the wrecker - but he ended up making his own.

(probably best to discuss your plans with your air con guy to make sure he'll do his bit after you rip out the rear unit)

condenser.jpg

Patrick

Last edited:

danodunn

Hey guys I have very little mechanical knowledge and have always loved sprinters and have gone out and purchased my first baby 2005 t1n. But. I have that fugly rear conditioner with the lights I would love removed to free up the space for a roof tent. I would not know we're to begin or have the tools to do the job. Does anyone know of someone or a business I can approach to get it done? Based in Sydney but happy to travel to Melbourne or Brisbane.

Banjo48

To pay to have it done would be pricey, it's not hard to do and just requires basic hand tools and a jigsaw, drill etc.
First job is to get the system de-gassed, then just remove all internals pipe connection and electric connectors.
Then remove top condensers and you can basically see wher to cut the fibreglass to remove the hump, it's time consuming more than hard.
The sikkaflex is prob hardest to remove but as I said in post above a caramel wheel in an electric drill removes it. Bunnings sell the wheels they are like a rubber eraser. Even plugging the holes left can be done simply rather than welding like I did, another guy I know who did it just stuck foil tape over the holes and painted it .

Aussie 2002 4x4

Hey guys I have very little mechanical knowledge and have always loved sprinters and have gone out and purchased my first baby 2005 t1n. But. I have that fugly rear conditioner with the lights I would love removed to free up the space for a roof tent. I would not know we're to begin or have the tools to do the job. Does anyone know of someone or a business I can approach to get it done? Based in Sydney but happy to travel to Melbourne or Brisbane.
Pics would be good ... there's a few different ones ... also makes a difference if the rear system is separate from the front (eg. mine shared the one compressor ... and also didn't have a condenser and fan at the front - only the ones on the rear unit on the roof)

danodunn

Thanks for the info and confidence. I'm going to give it a go in a few weeks. I'll take some pics before hand and post to see if anyone has some tips.

If anyone is in the Sydney region I would happily pay a couple hundred bucks to help me get it off and do what needs to be done.

Wish me luck guys. I'll post pics before I go ahead.

Catalanaussie

Hi -

we just bought our 2010 Ex-Ambo (NSW). We’re about to remove the rear aircon but I’m worried about the hole that it will leave.
What have you used to cover the hole up? Are there any fans that fit the hole or do we need to patch it up? If we need to patch it, what do you use to cover the hole? And one more question, do you know the dimensions of the hole?

Thank you!

syndey based

fatherosam

FoS -Tasmania Australia
So, anyone in tassie can help me - I think they have removed a heap of wires for the controls on my hicool aircon.
I keep finding where the wires have just been cut.
The random nature of the cuts imply to me the Tasmanian people didn't know so just cut everything they could find - in case

Last edited:

Top Bottom