MB Speed detector sensor.

Normand

Had to get it replaced.Warning on dash that ABS and cruise control were not working and this only after 35,000 miles. Cost $686 can. This is not reasonable. Doubts that I will ever buy a MB again. Was told at a gas station buy a stranger that they had a Sprinter fleet and were not very reliable and I should not wait to long to trade it.

D

Deleted member 50714

Had to get it replaced.Warning on dash that ABS and cruise control were not working and this only after 35,000 miles. Cost $686 can. This is not reasonable. Doubts that I will ever buy a MB again. Was told at a gas station buy a stranger that they had a Sprinter fleet and were not very reliable and I should not wait to long to trade it.
The dealership knew or should have known Speed Sensors are part of the federally mandated emission controls and covered under warranty (assuming sold in USA). Either way, the dealership credibility is ZERO and, in the interest of excellent customer service, offer a refund. Read your warranty booklet for details.

Last edited by a moderator:

AlanMac

Scarcity of service centers, again. We had the first hub sensor fail when in Savannah. No cruise, trailer control, ABS. Nearest MB service? Hilton Head MB dealer.
Had trouble installing a mandatory software patch in addition to replacing a sensor. Refused to replace both sensors, so...
Second hub sensor failed at St Johnsbury, VT. Nearest service? Burlington, VT.
Right now we're in NE WY. Wanna bet how far an authorized service is from here?
Ford stores on every corner, or so it seems.

WayneinPD

If not warranty work, check https://www.benzshops.com, and call to see if they service Sprinters. Check them out, the shop should be clean and organized, with MB diagnostic software.

This site shows about 10 shops within 10 miles of me, but they don't all do sprinters. Nearest MB Sprinter Dealer repair is 70 miles away. Near me, a local non-dealer Sprinter repair shop I'm happy with shows up in the website. They say they can also do the A servicing.

AlanMac

Thanks for Benzshops. To get to ANY HELP from NE WY, just 75 miles ! There's a Ford shop 2 blocks away. To my mind, if you are urban and camp urban then a Sprinter makes sense. If not, you will hope that 'limp home' don't happen 75 miles from the nearest help.
Old story, in 1972 we broke down with a bad water pump in the Ford Econoline. Limped into a little 'burg in a cloud of steam. Combo parts/grocery/gas station attendant went in
the back and searched the three shelves of pumps: Chevy, Ford, and Dodge. Found the one we needed, leant the tools, we were on the road in 2 hours. The good old days!

TwoClinks

2016 Unity TB
If your a new LTV owner / MB Sprinter owner or riding the fence...Not all of us have had trouble. After 40K, we are still enjoying our reliable 2015 Sprinter / Leisure Travel Van.

Last edited:

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
If your a new LTV owner / MB Sprinter owner or riding the fence...Not all of us have had trouble. After 40K, we are still enjoying our reliable 2015 Sprinter / Leisure Travel Van.
This is true, of course.
But many, many others of us have suffered through these exact issues, among others. My rear-speed sensor adventure (which I have reported in another thread) was almost EXACTLY the same as the one described here, including the refusal to replace both sensors, even though they are well-known for failing in pairs.

Most component failures occur on a normal curve. The question isn't whether some lucky owners end up on the good side of the curve--they obviously do. The question is where the mean lies.

Last edited:

kj4oll

2017 24G
Had one of the rears go out @ about 7k miles. Warranty covered it on our 2017 24G Winnebago.
Leaving for Alaska in 4 days. Bought a front (1) and rear (2) spare ABS sensor assemblies from https://www.autohausaz.com/
Can’t afford to have one go out in the middle of nowhere, pretty simple to change.
I don’t care about warranty, the $$$ is inconsequential to my trip, delays and inconvenience, shady dealers…nope, just crawling under there and changing the sensor.
Pitiful that MB can’t figure out how to manufacture quality any more.
Our 1985 MB sedan ABS still works fine, MB should get that guy out of retirement.

Gamma1966

2013 Chassis /14 Unity MB
Scarcity of service centers, again. We had the first hub sensor fail when in Savannah. No cruise, trailer control, ABS. Nearest MB service? Hilton Head MB dealer.
Had trouble installing a mandatory software patch in addition to replacing a sensor. Refused to replace both sensors, so...
Second hub sensor failed at St Johnsbury, VT. Nearest service? Burlington, VT.
Right now we're in NE WY. Wanna bet how far an authorized service is from here?
Ford stores on every corner, or so it seems.
FYI .. I regularly use Critz MB in Savannah to service my 2014 Unity MB. Good and timely service, highly recommend them if you are ever in the Savannah area again.

TwoClinks

2016 Unity TB
What I am saying is that a few posting negative postings should not make all Sprinters or service centers bad. I don't like the high labor rates or the challenges of attempting some of my own maintenance, but I knew all of this from my own research long before I placed my LTV order. German companies do not conduct business or engineer anything the way American companies do. You can't have all the modern cutting edge innovations in vehicles without occasional problems and failures. Ford is going after the Sprinter market but their not there yet. For one, they can't carry the weight of a Unity coach and your stuff. And you can't enjoy the torque of a diesel yet. Reasons the Wonder was added to LTV's offerings. LTV brainstormed to get the weight down, the price down, and insured that if MB couldn't deliver cutaway chassis, Ford could. General Motors had failed LTV causing them to discontinue the Libero.
I guess those that are unhappy with MB can sell them. They hold some value as new MB chassis grow in price.

This is true, of course.
But many, many others of us have suffered through these exact issues, among others. My rear-speed sensor adventure (which I have reported in another thread) was almost EXACTLY the same as the one described here, including the refusal to replace both sensors, even though they are well-known for failing in pairs.

Most component failures occur on a normal curve. The question isn't whether some lucky owners end up on the good side of the curve--they obviously do. The question is where the mean lies.

Normand

Strangely you don't mention Japanese products. I bought several cars new from them. Never had the slightest problem will all of them. No as a matter of fact, one gave me a problem with the transmission but the car had 160,000 miles. And their service rate was acceptable and I did not had to pay a huge amount for the diagnostic only. This will be the last MB product I ever buy as well as the F250 diesel , bought new and was a lemon (bought back)

What I am saying is that a few posting negative postings should not make all Sprinters or service centers bad. I don't like the high labor rates or the challenges of attempting some of my own maintenance, but I knew all of this from my own research long before I placed my LTV order. German companies do not conduct business or engineer anything the way American companies do. You can't have all the modern cutting edge innovations in vehicles without occasional problems and failures. Ford is going after the Sprinter market but their not there yet. For one, they can't carry the weight of a Unity coach and your stuff. And you can't enjoy the torque of a diesel yet. Reasons the Wonder was added to LTV's offerings. LTV brainstormed to get the weight down, the price down, and insured that if MB couldn't deliver cutaway chassis, Ford could. General Motors had failed LTV causing them to discontinue the Libero.
I guess those that are unhappy with MB can sell them. They hold some value as new MB chassis grow in price.
The Ford Transit chassis does come with a diesel and it is the only engine used by LTV for the Wonder. It has about the same HP and quite a bit more torque than the MB diesel. The transit chassis is available with a petrol engine, but the GVWR and/or GCWR are lower than the diesel version. So RV builders all choose the diesel, even it requires them to shave some weight off the house to maintain respectable OCCC.

I’ve driven the old Sprinter, new Sprinter, and Wonder. The Wonder feels more powerful, mostly because it’s lighter. It drives very well, less truck like than the old Sprinter. But the new Sprinter is just a good, much quieter, and has a luxury car quality interior. The Ford is rather industrial, like the old Sprinter, perhaps more so. Perhaps that will change with the updated 2020 Ford chassis.

Normand

Normand -- I don't see where you have told us why this wasn't covered by warranty.
Mine is a 2016 Unity MB and has a 2015 MB chassis. Has 55,000kms or about 35,000.
Do not have paid for an extended warranty. Having a speed senso defective at such mileage is not what I could call low quality and I expect that soon or later all similar sensors are going to do the same. Paying also $169 can to have such defect detected is for me daylight robbery.
So this is not covered by MB warranty ant it end up to $686.45 can for the repair.
What is worse is that vehicle is only used on long ride driving.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Mine is a 2016 Unity MB and has a 2015 MB chassis. Has 55,000kms or about 35,000.
Do not have paid for an extended warranty. Having a speed senso defective at such mileage is not what I could call low quality and I expect that soon or later all similar sensors are going to do the same. Paying also $169 can to have such defect detected is for me daylight robbery.
So this is not covered by MB warranty ant it end up to $686.45 can for the repair.
What is worse is that vehicle is only used on long ride driving.
All four vehicle speed sensors are covered under the "Federal Emission Warranty - Diesel Heavy Duty Vehicle" section of your OEM warranty, which is good for 5 years or 100,000 miles. I do not see why the repair as you describe it would not have been covered. They certainly paid for both mine that failed.

Normand

All four vehicle speed sensors are covered under the "Federal Emission Warranty - Diesel Heavy Duty Vehicle" section of your OEM warranty, which is good for 5 years or 100,000 miles. I do not see why the repair as you describe it would not have been covered. They certainly paid for both mine that failed.
Because you are protected, in USA and we don't even have a Lemon law in Canada....disgu

blue

2011 LTV Unity CB
My Sprinter is 2010 covered by Canadian warranty. My warranty book says that the vehicle speed sensors are covered by the Emission Control System Warranty for 5 years or 160,000 km.

Normand

My Sprinter is 2010 covered by Canadian warranty. My warranty book says that the vehicle speed sensors are covered by the Emission Control System Warranty for 5 years or 160,000 km.
Hi Blue
Thanks a lot you just saved me $686. I called MB Canada and was told that they are part of the 160,000 kms warranty.
After reading the Service manual , I also found it there. It is covered. Thank you very much again.
:cheers:

Bone Head

2014 LTV Unity MB
Had one of the rears go out @ about 7k miles. Warranty covered it on our 2017 24G Winnebago.
Leaving for Alaska in 4 days. Bought a front (1) and rear (2) spare ABS sensor assemblies from https://www.autohausaz.com/
Can’t afford to have one go out in the middle of nowhere, pretty simple to change.
I don’t care about warranty, the $$$ is inconsequential to my trip, delays and inconvenience, shady dealers…nope, just crawling under there and changing the sensor.
Pitiful that MB can’t figure out how to manufacture quality any more.
Our 1985 MB sedan ABS still works fine, MB should get that guy out of retirement.
kj4oll,
Could you share the part numbers for the wheel speed sensors you purchased from autohausax? I can't seem to find the parts listed on their website??
Thank you,
Bob

Top Bottom