NorCal Sprinter Campout - Oct. 10-14, 2019 - We're going to Taylorsville

GaryJ

Here since 2006
Do we have any idea how the PG&E power outages may affect the Campout? From what I can see almost all of northern CA with the exception of Sacramento will have extended blackouts of two days or more. Taylorsville is in Plumas Co. and that’s on the list. Power went out around midnight here in Nevada Co. If the Campout remains a “go”, even with the power out, all should be advised that fuel will be unavailable in all the affected areas unless the station has a back-up generator.

Gary

Terrapin

Greetings to all of you. Thanks for the heads up Gary. We'll keep the tank full. We're southbound this morning. Looking forward to seeing you all. Should be there by midday Friday.

Jeff & Yoko

SprinterSnale

'05 T1N 3500 - NorCalSprinterCampout
Do we have any idea how the PG&E power outages may affect the Campout? From what I can see almost all of northern CA with the exception of Sacramento will have extended blackouts of two days or more. Taylorsville is in Plumas Co. and that’s on the list. Power went out around midnight here in Nevada Co. If the Campout remains a “go”, even with the power out, all should be advised that fuel will be unavailable in all the affected areas unless the station has a back-up generator.

Gary
Great point Gary, Fuel up at home! Have some cash on hand for purchases.
We will remain fire conscious with any wind as usual and follow the camp hosts recommendations.

The outages do not effect our event (Rain or Shine, Power or Sans Power). Heck, it's probably a good reason to not be at home.
Collectively, we will likely be the largest grouping of off-grid power systems in Northern California. I had actually forgotten that there is power at the camp ground and, in fact, I used to bring a 220volt AC distribution system and tie into the main panel for a music festival we did there in the 00's. The panel is 500 feet from our location and not worth the cabling.

Thanks to HarryN supplying a portable APU for headquarters, we won't need grid power.

Power is on in Chico this morning, but we cooked last night in preparation. Power is off in Red Bluff currently. I've been using ventusy.com to monitor the wind and see where it will realistically be shut off and when.

:2cents:
We solar-battery system RVs are on the cutting edge of a new decentralized power grid. I don't worry about food going bad at home, I just turn on the Nor Cold and run a cord into the house for the computers. Many non-RV-rs will be taking our lead. Remember when people thought the computer age would be a large mainframe we all accessed. Now it is computer in your pocket. That is what is going to happen with the grid.
Paradise is ground zero for these changes. I did sound for a festival up there last weekend and the power was off on Sunday for a spell. A vendor pushed a massive APU with MagnaSine components and 2 volt lithium cells packed inside over to the stage and we ran all day on it. That serendipitous act drew a lot of interest.

Safe travels Terrapin! We are looking forward to seeing the gang.

HarryN

Ryan and are currently assembling the APU off grid using the power in my van, but that is normal for us.

Only slight glitch is that the panels I planned to bring are now powering the fridge at home, so it will be challenging to get those out of Debbie s iron grip.

I am trying to chase down 3 so we can have 6 total.

If anyone is in need of the system to power their home fridge, etc after the event, it will be for sale.

I actually had not planned to sell this unit as it was going to be a demo unit, but given the circumstances I can.

Last edited:

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
We solar-battery system RVs are on the cutting edge of a new decentralized power grid. I don't worry about food going bad at home, I just turn on the Nor Cold and run a cord into the house for the computers. Many non-RV-rs will be taking our lead.
I used to start the gas generator to power the home refrigerator and freezer. Now I just drive the van to the back door, run an extension cord into house and plug them into the van inverter. Much less hassle and it is quiet.

Hope everyone has fun at the meet. Hope to be there next year.

SprinterSnale

Hope everyone has fun at the meet. Hope to be there next year.
There goes your perfect attendance. :) We will miss you Dave.

GaryJ and Terrapin four years on. Woot.

The wheels in motion today:
-Tee Shirts arrived.
-The 3500 is mostly packed.
-We changed music groups and I will be filling in on drums with members of Gravybrain and a brilliant young guitar player... (we promise not to disappoint....lol)
-Sprinter Jeopardy 2019 ready to go. (who will win without Graphite Dave on their team?)
-Mitigated a pesky fuel leak with the encouragement of Million Mile Sprinter - Thanks Joel.
We talked in depth about a Sprinterfest East and hope Joel will pick up the reigns with a bit
of encouragement from the forum and a dash of insanity. (you can doo eet!):cheers:

Karen and I plan on a 1pm arrival Thursday.

GaryJ

Here since 2006
The Snail says “fuel up at home”, Ha! We have one station operating on a generator here and as I crept by after leaving the nearby propane distributor, I counted 130 cars in line. And the line went around the bend where I lost count. Thank you Sprinter for easily going over 500 miles on a tank.
Last week in the eastern Sierra between 4000’ and 9000’+ the fully outfitted van turned in over 24mpg with the refill done at the original fill pump. I’ll be traveling round trip to the Campout with the fill-up from the other side of the Sierras in Nevada.

Gary

SprinterSnale

Oh man! Sorry to hear that. We didn’t get shut off in Chico today. Some business’ in Paradise are already installing hybrid APU’s hooked to the grid and gen-sets for additional charging as needed/availible. It’s only a matter of time (and lost profits).

Matiasek

My wife and are are likely coming up Saturday late afternoon and are looking forward to meeting folks and seeing your builds. I think we are going to mountain bike Mt. Hough in Quincy on Sunday. If there are any mountain bikers in this crew that want to join, let me know.

-Mike and Sandrine
Chico, CA

SprinterSnale

I think we are going to mountain bike Mt. Hough in Quincy on Sunday. If there are any mountain bikers in this crew that want to join, let me know.

-Mike and Sandrine
Chico, CA
I hear it is fantastic. If folks have Mt Hough questions, My buddy Kevin drives shuttle up to Mt Hough and will be at the campout Saturday in his Eurovan.

Last edited:

pbansen

Hi Dale -

I just got back in town after helping some friends complete a coast to coast bicycle ride. I had been unsure if I'd be back in time for the camp out - is it possible to come up for the night tomorrow or Saturday? Is it just a matter of paying the campground fee at the gate?

Thanks,

Pete Bansen
Reno

SprinterSnale

Hi Dale -

I just got back in town after helping some friends complete a coast to coast bicycle ride. I had been unsure if I'd be back in time for the camp out - is it possible to come up for the night tomorrow or Saturday? Is it just a matter of paying the campground fee at the gate?

Thanks,

Pete Bansen
Reno
Yes, just show up and the camp host will collect the camp fees. The gates are open 24/7. Glad you can make it. We are off to a good start with rigs from So. Cal, Oklahoma and Alaska.

kcshoots

VanTripping.com
My wife and are are likely coming up Saturday late afternoon and are looking forward to meeting folks and seeing your builds. I think we are going to mountain bike Mt. Hough in Quincy on Sunday. If there are any mountain bikers in this crew that want to join, let me know.

-Mike and Sandrine
Chico, CA
I'm bringing a bike or two and definitely plan to ride, hopefully Saturday and Sunday, and look forward to riding with you.

pbansen

Dale - just about to leave Reno; is there anything you need that we can bring or pick up along the way?

Pete

SprinterSnale

Dale - just about to leave Reno; is there anything you need that we can bring or pick up along the way?

Pete
We are set. See you soon. Thanks

We have 15 rigs on site as of Friday. Nice potluck and slideshow last night. I posted a few pics an Instagram
#norcalsprintercampout

Top Bottom