Picked up a parts sprinter, possibly overheaded

Isla

Got on facebook marketplace and saw a sprinter for sale 300 miles from me, grabbed my dolly and bought it 500$ on a whim. Pretty impressed how well she towed behind my T1N. I ran 20.2 mpg thru the UP to Northern Minnesota. No mountains but some long steep grade, no problem. This one I picked up has 250k, it's the om647 2006. Before I start tearing into it for parts how can I tell if its toast from overheated? Not positive I wanna fix it but would like to investigate a bit. Where would you start to check for signs of overheating past checking oil and coolant? Was 500$ to much for no start rust belt sprinter? Will my the star system I have but have never used be key or can I diagnose it mechanically?

Also does anybody just happen to know if doors with electric locks and windows can be put on vans that didn't come with it stock? Is the harness the same? Plug n play?

If anyone needs little plastic parts connectors or miscellaneous hardware let me know and as long as I am gonna part it out ill give away simple small stuff for cost of first class post.

Cheers all!

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

obie

'04 long & tall passenger
Does it have armrests? I need several little things, like trim piece under headlight(passenger side), possibly vents if they're any good. I'm sure I'll think of more.
Thanks

Isla

Does it have armrests? I need several little things, like trim piece under headlight(passenger side), possibly vents if they're any good. I'm sure I'll think of more.
Thanks
Armrests yes trim vents are in sorts rough shape as all are im guessing

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Also does anybody just happen to know if doors with electric locks and windows can be put on vans that didn't come with it stock? Is the harness the same? Plug n play?
Windows can probably be added (they only need power, wires and switches, not "smarts").

Remote door locks require programming the ECU that you've got them
(it probably has the programming, but requires a (paid for) "secret key" to activate the feature.)
SOS Diagnostics may be able to enable the feature ... but then you'd also have to program the *keys* into the recipient Sprinter's ECU and SKREEM.

--dick

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
A badly overheated sprinter may have coolant loss, so pressurize the cooling system and seeing where is going may help. Another thing to check is to put a inspection camera into the injector port to see what the piston looks like.

sepudo

Considering I just spent close to $500 on some sensors and relays I'd say you made out! Good luck with the part out

#drivingdharma

Zundfolge

Always learning...
Damn nice score no matter what really. I would love a right rear mudflap if available, pm me pri$e whenever. Thanks!

RileyC

2002 140 shc, 2005 158 sh
Pull the oil filter and see if it’s collected bits of metal. That’ll tell you if something more catastrophic than overheating has happened.

DRTDEVL

DANG!

I'm moving a few hours south of you, closing on the new place on the 31st in Austin, MN. I could use some simple things like the plastic switch knockouts that are always missing from these vans.

Does it have the passenger seat and pedestal? If so, I'd probably want those too. I could pick up anything not cost-effective to ship in June or July.

smcguyer

2006 3500 Cab chassis. With 12' Box.
If cylinders are scored bad enough an engine will turn but will not fire. Make sure cam sensor is good, however. With correct scan tool try to pull all the stored codes.

Top Bottom